1. #1
    Dreadlord teebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Towson, MD
    Posts
    886

    Want a few mods that wont take away from the base game.

    So Ive been playing Minecraft stock on and off for a bit. Only survival and Ide like to change it up without feeling like cheating or adding way too much. Something like more creatures/people. Maybe a few new items, just nothing ridiculous like lasers. And lastly maybe a mild skin. Any specifics I should look for? This is coming from a guy who hasent used any mods.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

    Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    409
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/51-minecraft-mods/ would be your place to look, in case you haven't heard of it.

    In any case, if you want more people, I would go with Millenaire, which adds a bunch of different types of villages and people and stuff like that. For creatures, I'd say MoreCreeps & Weirdos, but that mod is kinda over the top imo. Here are my suggestions:

    Millenaire (http://millenaire.org) - Adds villages and stuff.
    Better Than Wolves (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...an%20%20wolves) - Adds a lot of crafting, including windmills and it has different tech "ages" to advance through.

    There's also ones like Industrial Craft, Buildcraft, and a few others that bring different flavor into the game without messing up balance too much. There's also some quality-of-life types, like Treecapitator (when you chop a tree block, it chops all the blocks above it).

  3. #3
    Dreadlord teebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Towson, MD
    Posts
    886
    Better Than Wolves looked promising. Also Found Mo Creatures, Looks like something I would use.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

    Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

  4. #4
    Personally, I enjoy the Technic Pack. It adds alot of "industrial" aspects to the game.

    Mo' Creatures is interesting, but I've been having problems with Ostriches spawning in my house.

    Also, might want to check out Better Dungeons. It adds insanely awesome dungeons to the game. Have fun in the Obsidian Labrynth!

  5. #5
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,322
    If you want a fun and challenging mod that (definitely) doesn't make MC overpowered the go for TerraFirma.

    It basically reworks the whole game.. Down to basic crafting. You'll end up with an entirely different Minecraft experience without being overpowered. It offers a tonne of new features that you really need to learn all about from minute one.

  6. #6
    Old God PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    If you want a fun and challenging mod that (definitely) doesn't make MC overpowered the go for TerraFirma.

    It basically reworks the whole game.. Down to basic crafting. You'll end up with an entirely different Minecraft experience without being overpowered. It offers a tonne of new features that you really need to learn all about from minute one.
    TFC isn't anything like vMC, though, it's wholly different.

    Better Than Wolves is a good choice that doesn't change from vMC much. Metallurgy 2 is currently in a beta form and leaves vanilla MC pretty much the same, just adding numerous new ores to dig up and smelt and creating a logical tiered progression system with them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  7. #7
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,322
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    TFC isn't anything like vMC, though, it's wholly different.
    I think the point of using mods is to get away from the staleness of vanilla anyways. If you're looking for a mod that can provide new and exciting options without "being overpowered" then I think my suggestion is good.

    To me at least, I'm not so concerned about balance. The things I enjoy building require a tonne of resources. I cant be spending an hour punching trees and digging sand for no reason. I prefer mods that take the dull aspects out of MC and make actually creating things fun.

  8. #8
    Old God PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I think the point of using mods is to get away from the staleness of vanilla anyways. If you're looking for a mod that can provide new and exciting options without "being overpowered" then I think my suggestion is good.

    To me at least, I'm not so concerned about balance. The things I enjoy building require a tonne of resources. I cant be spending an hour punching trees and digging sand for no reason. I prefer mods that take the dull aspects out of MC and make actually creating things fun.
    Well, TFC is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people, especially because it heavily crimps the creative aspect of Minecraft; you plain can't get sandstone (or make it) or vanilla bricks, and the cave-in mechanic makes landscaping and using cobblestone without supports (which require you to be in the metal tiers) impossible for normal applications.

    There are a lot of other options that don't completely and totally re-write the book on SSP/SMP, so I wouldn't recommend TFC to someone that wants to play an expanded version of vMC.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  9. #9
    Twilight Forest is pretty cool. It's a new dimension and adds some new stuff, but it still feels at its core like minecraft. Unlike the Aether which just changes everything.

    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...nd-new-blocks/

  10. #10
    nice share dude keep it up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •