Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    You played vanilla if you summoned the ice lord in alterac valley.
    Yes! This definitely.

If you were a Druid and had to spec resto in order to raid, because your innervate was a 30 point talent, and needed for Priests.
    If you have the original game manual, where it says Druids can use spears (which wasn't true until much later).
    You refer to Molten Core as "Molten Bore".
    You remember having to become attuned to enter raids.
    You remember, as a Hunter, having to do the insane questline for Lok'Delar and Rhok'Delar, and if anyone messed with the demons while you were fighting them, you were screwed, having to wait hours for a respawn.
    Paladins and Warlocks having to do quests for their epic mounts.

You remember people being able to do this before world bosses and dragons had leashes.-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0VWJdE01M
    Last edited by VibrantViolet; 2012-10-01 at 01:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    And that was a dagger. And paladins can't use daggers, so if you were a paladin skinner you couldn't skin the beast.
    wich is wrong as there was also a sword with the same +10 for skinning and palas CAN use swords...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    There is only 2 legit way to prove you have played classic.

- If you have an unarmored epic mount. It was available till 2005 spring. It was 900g, so unless you were an AH shark you couldn't have it. (I have seen only 2 of them, one in classic on my home server and another one in BC in a crossrealm AV.)
    - 2nd is a little dodgy because you can only prove you were lvl60 at the start of BC. You have the Tabard of the Protector.

Ok the actual 3rd is, which is an ultimate proof, you link your account payment history. I won't lol! And I suggest you the same.
    Another way is if you have a PvP title, since those were done away right before BC.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can check if someone has feats of strength for pvp ranks on their character, or wearing 60 pvp gear skins transmogged. There's also a feat of strength and tabard for the TBC pre-event.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Another way is if you have a PvP title, since those were done away right before BC.
    nah you can have the titles with raited bg ranks, gotta have the feat of strength!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    LOL This. So much. Vanilla player here and definately think SO many players see it with Rose-tinted glasses, and a hell of a lot more pretend they were playing vanilla when they weren't, just so they can moan more.

Actually, you could probably do a "How to know if someone didn't REALLY play Vanilla" thread. I hear a lot of stupid stuff about how great things were and how blizzard have ruined things. There's a lot of myths about Vanilla and what was aweome in it which, if you had actually played, were in reality painstaking chores.

A lot was fun in Vanilla, and it's true a lot has been dumbed down massively, BUT a lot was a VERY tedious grind and it did take bloody ages to walk anywhere or quest, let alone getting a group together.

You do realise that a great proportion of Vanilla players couldn't afford Epic mount/Riding at the time? It was a crazy amount and definately one of the money-sinks of its day.
    Vanilla was awesome at the time. WoW was so new, and a lot of fun. I think some people do miss that feeling they got when they played it back then, not necessarily the content. Vanilla was hard, I wouldn't want to go back. You were pigeon-holed into certain specs, even more then you are now. I remember as a Druid having to be resto to raid, because that was THE spec. There were no compromises if you wanted to raid. Making gold was hell. I only got my epic mount in vanilla because a guildie of mine was quitting WoW, and gave me all his gold...haha.

---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    You can check if someone has feats of strength for pvp ranks on their character, or wearing 60 pvp gear skins transmogged. There's also a feat of strength and tabard for the TBC pre-event.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 11:13 AM ----------

nah you can have the titles with raited bg ranks, gotta have the feat of strength!
    That's right, I forgot about the rated BG's. I never did them. I do have that Feat of Strength on my Druid, though.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...achievement#81

Don't make fun of her gear...lol. I didn't have a ton of time to play her toward the end of Cataclysm, and I focused a lot of my time on my Priest. My Druid was my oldest toon, though.
    Last edited by VibrantViolet; 2012-10-01 at 01:19 AM.

... if they know how to run DM, UBRS, LBRS, ZF, Mara, or BRD.

EDIT: I have 4 different FoS for Vanilla pvp titles. Makes me happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, my druid was so freaking terrible at everything in vanilla, was pretty funny looking, even resto was pretty much a second class healer. No one played druid so I did get gear awefully fast in raids.

When you refused to change specs on your enhancement shaman because it meant having to level Two handed maces/axes again if you didn't enjoy it and wanted to go back after.

Heck, even when you used 2 handed maces/axes on your shaman works.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Haha, my druid was so freaking terrible at everything in vanilla, was pretty funny looking, even resto was pretty much a second class healer. No one played druid so I did get gear awefully fast in raids.
    I was incredibly stubborn...haha. I refused to give up on my Druid, even though people kept telling me other classes were better. I'm glad I didn't listen, because I truly did enjoy my Druid until the end.

This isn't a particularly good litmus test. I started playing late BC and I remember a good deal of these...

Like paladin seals only lasting 30 seconds and being consumed when using Judgment.
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap, June of 2005. I had been deployed to Iraq in Jan. 05 and hadn't even heard of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post

That's my proof and if I had access to my first account, it would go back even further.

Anyone can find something someone said about vanilla in another thread or forum, repeat it, and pretend it's the good old days or whatever. Hell, remember that poll MMO-C had about when you joined a while back and the majority claimed vanilla? hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    When Rets one shot people with reckoning
    Pretty sure you failed the test by not saying "Prot" here. http://www.wowwiki.com/Reckoning

Druids were sooooo bad back then . Purposely picked them out with my shaman back then because they were a free kill haha. Purge + Earth shock + 2handed mace massive WF crit(How I miss those) and they just rolled over.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    And that was a dagger. And paladins can't use daggers, so if you were a paladin skinner you couldn't skin the beast.
    Sure they could. They took daggers away from paladins right about the time of the Reckoning nerf. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhgvouRprw
    Where are all the true Vanillaphiles?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

So anyway, might as well add one, you played vanilla if you know what warlock ability hunters used to cheat their Solenor the Slayer kill (aka Silithus demon) for Rhok'delar.
    I'm not exactly sure what abillity they used as i din't play lock nor hunter back then, but i DO remember my dad helping a hunter in his guild doing that quest (altho i only watched them doing the winterspring demon).... my dad was a lock.

And well, lets see.... Like others have mentioned: The mount cost, altho it was only 20g for the riding skill, that you used for both lvl 40 and 60 mounts, while the mounts themselves costed 90 (normal = lvl 40) and 900 or so ("epic" = lvl 60). Ohh and a fun thing that not many people know these days about mounts: Both normal and epic mounts was common in the way that both kinds had white text. Blizz later changed them to blue(rare) and epic(purple) cause players used those words for them already.
    You also had to carry your mounts and pets around as actuall items taking up bag space untill TBC or so(?)

Naxx used to be 40 man raid dropping tier 3, the attunement quest required nexus crystals and a few other items, making it really expensive in the start (atleast for casuals like i was back then)... even tho i wasn't in a raiding guild i still did the attunement just to enter the instance so i could see what the inside looked like, and to kill Biggelsworth, KT's kitty at the entrance (Still there in wotlk version of naxx)

People farming the spellcaster mobs in northern part of western plaguelands for crusader enchant recipie, even tho there was like 5-10 mobs total there that dropped it, and they didn't respawn that quick. I remember my old stephmom doing this or hours to sell the formula... she was a Night elf warr so took some time to farm it aswell.

Ohh and last one from me: the patch when ZG was introdused.... i dare anyone from vanilla to search for the ZG patch video. You will realise how much blizz has improved at making patch intro videos, and you'll be punched in the face by nostolgia

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    You had to learn weapon skills so that you wouldn't miss
    Mage buff / intel used to increase chance to get a point
    First of all, weapon skills were still around in WOTLK ("Did someone order a knuckle sandwich" was an achievement for getting 400 unarmed skill)
    Secondly, that +int buff for increasing skill is a complete myth.

Lava run anyone?
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you remember what a warlock's Succubus used to look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started playing Mid-late TBC and I've personally seen 90% of what I've been reading so far.

This is just me but those who've been playing since Vanilla wouldn't really have to prove they've been around that long would they?
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D