Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dueling an SL Warlock's Felhunter on my Mage and losing because it resisted every single one of my spells and slowly melee'd me to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Leothas View Post
    Cthun was unkillable before nurf.
    And after a nurf it was stil considered the hardest boss of all time.
    Only those that played in vanilla know that it was FIX, not nerf.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    If someone has a FOS of any of the old BG titles :3
    Knight-Captain here. Had to give up pushing for a higher rank because RL, raiding and other stuff meant I hit my own weekly cap; competing against every other person on your realm was a terrible idea...

As for the comment above the one I quoted... had so forgotten about that! (The Axemen clearing MC in record time).

There are so many nostalgic things in here. I remember farming the elite blue dragonkin in Winterspring with my hunter for their blue scales to make the blue dragonscale stuff. Which reminds me of doing the epic hunter quest for the staff and bow (which were separate items at the time); one demon of which was in Winterspring. Ammo pouches and quivers, anyone?

Speaking of farming, I levelled my warrior about four levels in Un'goro just farming Living Essences off the tarbeasts to craft NR gear for my mage for AQ40... and then it was useless after a few weeks because TBC was getting close and we stopped attempting to raid the instance. :/

Funny that a hunter was the first toon I rolled and took to 60, raided with etc; but my mage was my main for five years before I took this extended break from the game. Great memories on all my toons, but especially my mage and hunter. Game has definitely come a long way and been improved in myriad ways.
    Last edited by Geckomayhem; 2012-10-01 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added bit about warrior
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    You played Vanilla, when you got a quest in Darkshore that sent you from Auberdine to Ironforge... Easy deal.... ain't it.

The route:
    Auberdine --> Menethil Harbor by boat
    Menethil Harbor ---> Dun Algaz all the way through Wetlands by foot.. You would know every croc on the side of the road by it's first name. because they all wanted to have you for a snack. You were level 16, they were level 20 - 22.
    Dun Algaz ---> Dun Morogh. Trying to get past the damn orc bandits who basically blocked the way through the pass, and were also level 20 - 22.
    Dun Morogh ---> Ironforge. When you finally arrived in IF, like 45 min to an hour after you took off in Auberdine, and you didn't die more than 3 times, you felt epic!!

And last but not least.... When you had help by a hunter guildie who was capable to provide you with the Pack buff, so you could do it all with faster walking, and less or zero dying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And another one..... When you played a druid and had to go through partially extensive and dangerous quests for your shapeshift abilities.
    Again here the Ally example for aquatic form. As Night Elf at level 16, you had to get to the coast in Westfall to retrieve an artifact from the bottom of the ocean.
    Minor problem, the beach was totally crowded with murloc camps, and once you made it past them. the spot in the ocean was guarded by a level 20 elite shark.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-10-01 at 01:55 PM.

I have played since WoW first came out, People dont like about playing Vanilla... Where is the point? :L

Deleted
    ... spent more hours farming for resistance elixirs and absorb potions, as well as for weapon oils than raiding itself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    you played vanilla if you remember devoting 5-6 weeks of your life to non stop grinding of honor for hwl
    or even more than that.
    And ppl, non stop means non stop. Every second ur awake u would farm farm and farm. It didnt take as much effort later in vanilla but still pretty hard, i think. Since one of my friend first got to rank 13 for the armor, dropped to around rank 7 and later on got rank 14 pretty easy, no need for the non stop farm anymore.
    If u were, say, top 10 of ur server to get it u should be proud of urself.

..If you created soo many Trial-Accounts, because you couldn't afford the monthly fee.

Yeah... That sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    You played vanilia if you know, Scholo was originally a 10man raid instance.
    Actually it was a 40 man instance as were all the lvl 60 dungeons on release. They got patched down to 10 and eventually 5 very early on though.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Speaking of farming, I levelled my warrior about four levels in Un'goro just farming Living Essences off the tarbeasts to craft NR gear for my mage for AQ40... and then it was useless after a few weeks because TBC was getting close and we stopped attempting to raid the instance. :/
    AQ40 was out for 11 months before TBC landed...

if you forgot your ony necklace in the bank and the whole raid had to wait for you to get it and come back.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just inspect your taget, check if he has any PvP Titles from Vanilla on feat of strength, if none then he didn't play vanilla. Why? Because even if you didn't PvP all that was needed was 1 single HK to get the title Private. Easy as that. So this exposes all of them.

Also LBRS - Scholo Classrun, and not 10mans
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2012-10-01 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samaramon View Post
    I don't start it every time. I started it now, because a week ago there was this exact same thread. Same with the week before, and before. There's even threads on the official forums.

I don't mind Vanilla threads, but I want personal experiences. I love reading about some event or quest from back then, but I won't glee at every "LOL I REMEMBUR BARRENS CHAT".

I'd love this thread if it was more personal and didn't feel like a giant copypaste from Wowpedia.

Example, jbombard's story. THAT'S good thread material.
    Hey, I posted my armory of my Druid with the Feat of Strength you only got if you obtained a PvP rank in vanilla. :P I had a ton of old screenshots, but my husband sold our old gaming desktop, and failed to back up my screenshots before he emptied the computer. So I lost all of them.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldeice View Post
    if you forgot your ony necklace in the bank and the whole raid had to wait for you to get it and come back.
    Heartstone - Warlock Summon?

10+ Year Old Account
    ...if you remember that buffs and debuffs didn't always show up on others and there was a mage spell "Detect magic" whose sole purpose was to show you the buffs and debuffs on a target.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I get the feeling that you guys thinkg, that vanilla players have more benefits, and because of that they started the game early they are more important then other players. That's just trashtalking. If you're vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata or MOP player, you're the same and stop making it sound like a brag. I played WoW since closed, final and release and yet I don't feel I'm worth or supposed to be more knowing than the new MoP players. This thread sounds more of a brag

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You played Vanilla, when you got a quest in Darkshore that sent you from Auberdine to Ironforge... Easy deal.... ain't it.

The route:
    Auberdine --> Menethil Harbor by boat
    Menethil Harbor ---> Dun Algaz all the way through Wetlands by foot.. You would know every croc on the side of the road by it's first name. because they all wanted to have you for a snack. You were level 16, they were level 20 - 22.
    Dun Algaz ---> Dun Morogh. Trying to get past the damn orc bandits who basically blocked the way through the pass, and were also level 20 - 22.
    Dun Morogh ---> Ironforge. When you finally arrived in IF, like 45 min to an hour after you took off in Auberdine, and you didn't die more than 3 times, you felt epic!!

And last but not least.... When you had help by a hunter guildie who was capable to provide you with the Pack buff, so you could do it all with faster walking, and less or zero dying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And another one..... When you played a druid and had to go through partially extensive and dangerous quests for your shapeshift abilities.
    Again here the Ally example for aquatic form. As Night Elf at level 16, you had to get to the coast in Westfall to retrieve an artifact from the bottom of the ocean.
    Minor problem, the beach was totally crowded with murloc camps, and once you made it past them. the spot in the ocean was guarded by a level 20 elite shark.
    Having to make that run to IF on all my characters...ugh. Back then I only rolled Nelfs, with my human warlock being the exception. The Druid quests! I HATED the aquatic form quest, it was such a pain. There were two pieces, both were not easy to get because of mobs in the way, but the Westfall one was the worst. It took me forever to get there.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 10:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I get the feeling that you guys thinkg, that vanilla players have more benefits, and because of that they started the game early they are more important then other players. That's just trashtalking. If you're vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata or MOP player, you're the same and stop making it sound like a brag. I played WoW since closed, final and release and yet I don't feel I'm worth or supposed to be more knowing than the new MoP players. This thread sounds more of a brag
    I haven't seen anyone bragging. It's just nostalgia. So we can't talk about the past without it be being "bragging"?

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Knight-Captain here. Had to give up pushing for a higher rank because RL, raiding and other stuff meant I hit my own weekly cap; competing against every other person on your realm was a terrible idea...
    Yeah, I got Knight-Lieutenant then had to stop because of raiding priorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Just inspect your taget, check if he has any PvP Titles from Vanilla on feat of strength, if none then he didn't play vanilla. Why? Because even if you didn't PvP all that was needed was 1 single HK to get the title Private. Easy as that. So this exposes all of them.
    I don't remember it being the case that all you needed was a single kill (you might be right, I just don't recall), but I have several of my original characters from classic (many got remade in BC when you could actually level alts in a reasonable amount of time) that don't have even rank 1.

Glancing through my Feats now, I have five different titles between all my toons. Most earned at least rank 2 -- I think that's when you got the trinket -- and only one was only rank 1. That leaves about three characters unaccounted for that had no rank at all.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    If you remember when Paladins would bubble hearth.

Deleted
    I was like level 22 when BGs opened (21-30 was the lowest bracket).. And god I was impressed at how the WSG portal in Barrens was swarmed by the majestic high levels with their shiny gear. And how you could always see a team of badassness spawn from the portal each time a BG ended..
    Then one day, after running from the Orgrimmar entrance towards Barrens many times (to queue up that is), I found a NPC in Undercity that enabled me to queue to BGs WITHOUT walking to the portal first. At first I thought I found a bug, but after telling my friends about it, I was told that this was in fact a newly patched feature and it was avialable in every capital, and not just Undercity.

Then I rolled Alliance.

Deleted
    I loved the Class Quests for the Druid. I also liked the Totem Quests for Shamans, as they were something special.
    I played mostly Alliance back in those days, started as a Gnome Warlock, Dinged a Dwarf Priest 60 first... Even that I raided alot in Everquest 1 before, WoW was very special. Vanilla was so damn causual friendly and without big grinding that time. Well, it felt that way, when you were used to pure grinding-leveling in Everquest that nearly never stopped due to a secondary level system. It was sooo great not to have to sit over an hour at the zone border to get a slot in one of the groups in the leveling spots. You could head out alone and do something on your own. Even that I played a soloable char in EQ, it felt soo different, new and inovative. Now, several years later, I hate all the Quest-Grinding and the long path through old expansions :-) Things change and mostly only the good memories stay!