Page 1 of 2
LastLast

To general PC Game Fans

For the last 3-5 years now I have been wanting to do a youtube channel for a "lets play" of games.
    Approaching my 30th birthday now I have come up with a formula that will set it a little apart from the plethora of other channels that are doing these kinds of video's.
    I have my HD recorders, video editors, and professional mics and I am ready to get started.

The only thing I am needing now are suggestions for my debut game.
    So I came here to the mmo-chamion community that I have been part of for years now to get some of your opinions.
    I am open to ANY PC game. Old, New, Indie, FPS, RPG, etc etc. . .

I ask you now - what is either
    --YOUR Favorite PC game of all time?
    --What game would you like to see a "let's play" for?

The only requirement is that the game has to have an "ending" so it cannot be say Minecraft unless it has a definitive moment to kill the series.

Thank you in advance community!

The only game I play these days is WoW. I guess that makes it my favorite!

All time, I really, really, really liked Age of Kings (and Age of Empires) as well as Civ 3 and Civ 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magicka if you got 3 buds and some liquor.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are trying to start a fanbase, then start with something very recent that had rather good reception.

My suggestion would be Borderlands 2, its only been out for 2-3 weeks, and its still rather fresh, you might even convince some people to pick it up.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jschulth View Post
    I ask you now - what is either
    -WCIII TFT or Command and conquer (the very 1st one)
    -None, I can't stand let's plays.

Baldur's Gate comes to mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    This "market" is soo saturated so unless you're a girl or a very witty and talented speaker I don't think you stand a chance.

Deleted
    Favorite game of all time: Skyrim and oldschool WoW. It's a tie.

Deleted
    Favorite game I think it's Fallout 2 // TBC WoW.. Dunno which. Let's play TL2.

The only requirement is that the game has to have an "ending" so it cannot be say Minecraft unless it has a definitive moment to kill the series.
    Minecraft sort of has an end, which is to kill the Enderdragon, but it can take a very long time. The hard part is finding strongholds on random maps and then finding the The End portal itself.

PC games... I'd go with any Hitman, American McGee's Alice, Neverwinter Nights, Psychonauts, Glover, and Oddworld games(specifically Stranger's Wrath).

You're going to need to find a niche. Don't do what everyone else is already doing, and spice up your lets play somehow. Talentless lets players are all over youtube, only a few are worth watching.

Let's Plays are pretty bad in general. You do need to be unique or especially talented to really pull it off. Funny, insightful, supremely skilled, etc.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have lots of fun.

Q: YOUR Favorite PC game of all time?
    A: Diablo 2 or Baldur's Gate. Can't decide!

Q: What game would you like to see a "let's play" for?
    A: To the Moon. It's kinda brilliant.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't like watching other people play games, so I'm probably not your target audience.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Favorite PC game?

Mass Effect
    Skyrim
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    If you are trying to start a fanbase, then start with something very recent that had rather good reception.
    Fully agreed with this. Also, an important thing to add is to never limit yourself to one or two games, it is ok to start like that, but after a while branch off a bit since many games have their popularity fade after a while, so having more choices actually gathers interest from more people.

Last thing I want to say, be careful how you're presenting games if you're doing commentaries too. Don't talk in cinematics (people hate that) and speak to everyone/do every side-quest. Also, remember that you're merely presenting the game, at least at start people are not coming to hear you speak, they are coming to see the game.

No"ummmmm" when you have no clue what to say, rather shut up then do that, no raging at screen if you die 345034750374057347 times, no live cams unless it's a "scary" game.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2012-10-01 at 03:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest playing co op games with some friends or some one like l4d2 Borderlands 2 , Saints Row III , Magicka etc etc its more fun then single commentary which is alot of harder.

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to do Let's Plays.
    My suggestion isn't the game, but what you're doing.

1. Make sure you actually enjoy doing it.
    2. The game should be fun for you.
    3. Don't script, natural reactions are funny.

If you want to, you can start blind games, but I don't know how it'd go.
    I don't really watch a lot of Let's Play other than Helloween4545 on youtube.

--Warcraft 3, The Frozen Throne and the Command and Conquer games. The same games as chosenkiwi summed :P
    --Definatly horror games where you show your hilarious reactions to the viewers, thats how PewDiePie got very popular. Amnesia is a good start, it made him famous aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    --Definatly horror games where you show your hilarious reactions to the viewers, thats how PewDiePie got very popular. Amnesia is a good start, it made him famous aswell.
    Yeah, he is famous. But is it worth it? Everyone now knows him as that guy with over the top reactions that spits memetic phrases every few seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldrahan View Post
    Baldur's Gate comes to mind.
    I second this. Either Baldur's Gate I or II, or Planescape: Torment.