Such thing as HDMI to VGA?

Hello.

So I got a gift today, a fairly decently sized Flatscreen TV which is gonna be used as a monitor

However, there is no VGA port on it, and my current compter, which btw is not too great, does not have a HDMI slot.

So now I got 2 questions.

Is there such thing as a HDMI to VGA slot? So I can connect the HDMI to my TV and the VGA to my computer.

If question 1 is a yes, Will it be giving me HD picture?

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Is there such thing as a HDMI to VGA slot?
    Because googling for "vga to hdmi converter" is hard, here's the first result provided for you. Basically there's no simple cable possible, some powered electronics is required.

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    If question 1 is a yes, Will it be giving me HD picture?
    Maybe, maybe not. More likely the more you pay for the converter box. Getting clean 1920x1080 FullHD picture out of VGA is a matter of luck unless you have relatively expensive hardware, 1280x720 or 1366x768 pretty easy assuming you can force those custom display modes from your graphics card drivers. Read user comments from the linked product above for more details.

Also keep in mind that there are simple $5 DVI to HDMI cables available if your computer has DVI port. Most do unless it's really ancient.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is 100% possible, and VGA cables can take 1920x1080 at 60FPS. I know because i'm using a VGA converter right now, CBA to get a DVI cable.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Yes there's is such a thing as VGA to HDMI search on websites such as ebay or amazon for VGA HDMI you will find what you're looking for, usually the cables are 6ft. long. Hope i helped you out!

---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 05:29 PM ----------

Forggot to add that the cables arent really expensive they are just about $5 max. all you have to do is wait for shipping thats all. im currently using 2 of those cables with 2 HD monitors and they are amazing.

Deleted
    Do you have DVI? The signal is the same and a DVI to HDMI adapter is by far the easiest route.

VGA to HDMI is not that easy since VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. You'd need a powered converter for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure a "not too great set up" on a big tv is not going to give you good results. Just a fair warning.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

It would be a MUCH better idea to get a graphics card with an HDMI out port.....how has this not been suggested in this thread yet?

I assume you are not playing demanding games and just want to put youtube/whatever on your big screen, this would work perfect for that:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131338

All you need to make sure of is your PC needs a PCI Express x16 slot (99% of PC's do, just make sure).