Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    I didn't realise there was this much theorycrafting behind pet battles. Damn.

Any tips?

Are my main three pets bad?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ther/Felir/pet
    I find your monkey pet incredibly offensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    I find your monkey pet incredibly offensive.
    But the Fez wearing monkey wubs you

I've been using

Pandaren Monk - hits like a truck and if you can get off the 100%dmg buff 1000 fists stun then the double damage to stunned you're golden
    Clockwork Gnome - I loves me some turrets, especially when I can have 2 up. Flying or burrowing? still gonna get you. And if you time the repair right you'll come back to life with full health...muahahahahaah
    Had been using my spectral tiger cub until I just got a Rare Restless Shadeling. Holy crap, a 9 round dot with an ability that heals for 1/2 damage and an ability that gets stronger every time you use it in succession? I'm loving me my Shadeling now.

I've also been leveling my Disgusting Oozling, Gregarious Grell and Mr. Pincy on the side. I've seen the Brilliant Kalari level 20 auto kill ability. Once I get some pets to max level I'll power level him to 20. Looks like a nasty ability.

FYI to all those who look to doing pvp pet battles. Speed baby Speed. Fast pets. I've found that going first can decide who wins and who doesn't more often than not.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by talmar View Post
    I've been using

Pandaren Monk - hits like a truck and if you can get off the 100%dmg buff 1000 fists stun then the double damage to stunned you're golden
    Clockwork Gnome - I loves me some turrets, especially when I can have 2 up. Flying or burrowing? still gonna get you. And if you time the repair right you'll come back to life with full health...muahahahahaah
    Had been using my spectral tiger cub until I just got a Rare Restless Shadeling. Holy crap, a 9 round dot with an ability that heals for 1/2 damage and an ability that gets stronger every time you use it in succession? I'm loving me my Shadeling now.

I've also been leveling my Disgusting Oozling, Gregarious Grell and Mr. Pincy on the side. I've seen the Brilliant Kalari level 20 auto kill ability. Once I get some pets to max level I'll power level him to 20. Looks like a nasty ability.

FYI to all those who look to doing pvp pet battles. Speed baby Speed. Fast pets. I've found that going first can decide who wins and who doesn't more often than not.
    Wow you're using same pets as me.

Pandaren Monk, hits hard, has a toughness ability, humanoid ability heals a little each round he does damage.

Clockwork Gnome, turrets, self heal, pretty high HP for level, good against beasts.

Spectral Tiger Cub, quick, has a dodge, and his primary attack is good against critters. Use him for primarily beating the crap out of critters.

I haven't been able to get a Restless Shadeling yet, but I do hear they are pretty good, and will try to get one in the future. Haven't tried out the Brilliant Kaliri.

Anyone know if the Hyacinth Macaw is any good? Love the pet, hoping it doesn't suck in pet battles. Also, how about the Minfernal? Again, another pet really like the look of

Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    The diagram is wrong. The pet battle is split into two parts.
    1) Abilities of a specific species type being good ore bad against the current species
    2) The species itself having bonus or malus against another species by nature

You can have a magic pet with alot of "flying abilities" for example.

Here is my diagram. Values are taken from the http://www.petbattlearena.com/ tooltips.
    but

As you can see there are no attacks with bonus damage against Mechanical (Robot).

Additonally there is no species in the game with innate 50% bonus damage against Critters. That makes critters damn good pets because they are only affected by beast attacks but never by 50% bonus damage from any other species.

You need beast or undead abilities to beat critters.
    You need to be an elemental or a beast to beat Robots.

Interesting is that beasts and robots counter each other on innate damage bonus. On the other hand: Elementals are the complete counter to robots.

That makes robots actually one of the strongest competitors especially if you can get a robot with critter and aquatic abilities to counter their weaknesses.
    Elemental attacks do 50% more damage against mechanical. Beast attacks do 50% more damage to critters. Everything is strong agaist something while being resistant to something. The only odd family are Elementals which are resistant and strong against Mechanical.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think some of your info is a bit faulty, dorker.

As you can see there are no attacks with bonus damage against Mechanical (Robot).
    Elemental damage is strong against Mechs. Even your own chart shows this?

Additonally there is no species in the game with innate 50% bonus damage against Critters. That makes critters damn good pets because they are only affected by beast attacks but never by 50% bonus damage from any other species.
    I've only been dabbling in low level Pet Battles (< lvl 10), but I'm sure that there is no species in the game that has "innate" bonus damage against anything. It's not the species of the pet itself which determines the bonus, it's the type of attacks it uses. So let's say your Critter pet had an ability which did Beast Damage, then using that ability against other Critters would be very effective.

Interesting is that beasts and robots counter each other on innate damage bonus.
    As above, Beasts and Robots don't get any special bonuses against anything just by virtue of being a Beast or a Robot. And anyway, Beast Damage is effective against Critters rather than Mechanical, so not sure what you're thinking of here...?

On the other hand: Elementals are the complete counter to robots.
    This is certainly closer to being true. Elemental damage is strong against Mechanical, so many (but not all!) of your attacks will likely do bonus damage. And likewise, a Mechanical opponent will likely be using mostly Mechanical attacks against you, so you'll take less damage due to your innate resistance.

I suggest you take another look at the chart that Woebegone posted - it's very accurate and useful!

Deleted
    Just check the tooptip of your species.

Species have an innate bonus damage or malus against another species.

You are correct that in most cases the 50% bonus damage are congruent to the ability bonus. (This makes one species a good counter against another species for most cases)
    But this is not the case fore all the species. That was my point.

Just check this:
    Humanoids do 50% bonus damage against Dragonkin. Additionally Dragonkin are weak against Humanoid abilities.

On the other hand:
    Beasts do 50% bonus damage against Robots. But Robots are weak against Elemental abilities, not Beast abilities.

Coming back to my point. Critters are a good choice because:
    There is no other species with innate bonus damage against Critters.
    Additionally both Undead and Beast take additional damage from Critter abilities.

Reviewing my previews post...I think I messed up the robot stuff. Actually robots are not that strong as I thought. There is no species with weakness against robot abilities. Additionally there are two species doing innate bonus damage against robots (urgs).
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2012-10-10 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    My Azure Whelpling is wrecking faces at the moment. It has a move I affectionately call 'Nuke From Orbit'. Deals mega damage, likely one shots most stuff. You better hope it does too, because if it doesn't then it needs to recover for 2 turns afterward.
    I love this and its my must have member of my team. I have grown partial to my prairie dog too with the 'burrow' saving a lot of damage. I love my 'lost of lorderon' for looks and the respawn. I can't believe how much fun the Pet battles are. Way exceeded my expectations.

I was thrilled to get a 'rare' Giraffe from the barrens yesterday. I think I will level it to be a filler member when I don't want to do too much damage (ie capturing).

Peanut does some nice damage against all the critters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloeverah View Post
    I love this and its my must have member of my team. I have grown partial to my prairie dog too with the 'burrow' saving a lot of damage. I love my 'lost of lorderon' for looks and the respawn. I can't believe how much fun the Pet battles are. Way exceeded my expectations.

I was thrilled to get a 'rare' Giraffe from the barrens yesterday. I think I will level it to be a filler member when I don't want to do too much damage (ie capturing).
    Uf that girrafe is pain in ass to get..trust me.
    If you are plaing to get a *rare* quality... well its gona take a looooooong time to get it.

The best way too spawn this minipet is too kill all girafe normal spawn + 1 more mob i cant remember right now.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

You are correct that in most cases the 50% bonus damage are congruent to the ability bonus. (This makes one species a good counter against another species for most cases)
    But this is not the case fore all the species. That was my point.

Just check this:
    Humanoids do 50% bonus damage against Dragonkin. Additionally Dragonkin are weak against Humanoid abilities.

On the other hand:
    Beasts do 50% bonus damage against Robots. But Robots are weak against Elemental abilities, not Beast abilities.

Additionally both Undead and Beast take additional damage from Critter abilities.

Reviewing my previews post...I think I messed up the robot stuff. Actually robots are not that strong as I thought. There is no species with weakness against robot abilities. Additionally there are two species doing innate bonus damage against robots (urgs).
    The tooltips are wrong. Try it out in game. If you use a Beast with a different type of attack (non-beast attack) vs a Critter, it will do the same amount of damage that it would do to any other pet (besides the one that it is strong/weak vs). Specifically, the race determines which attack types it will be weak against and strong against.

In that pic you posted it specifically states that Beasts get a +50% damage against Critters, so I don't see how there are not pet types that have a inherent bonus vs. them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    In that pic you posted it specifically states that Beasts get a +50% damage against Critters....
    No it does not. It states that Critters take more damage from "beast-type abilities". Not pets of the beast family in general.

A pet can only be of one species but the abilities of this pet can be of any pet-family (http://www.petbattlearena.com/pet.php?pet=254).

If you think the tooltip is wrong you should write a bug report. Because if the abilities and damage do not reflect what the tooltip tells you that is a bug. There are 4 icons on the tooltip and they are there for a reason.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2012-10-10 at 04:06 PM.

There is only one creature I've found insanely overpowered, and I'm not sharing. It's not any of the Collector's Edition or Store pets, which are mostly strong. You can pick it up in Outland, but good luck farming them lol

15+ Year Old Account
    My team right now is Netherwhelp, Darkmoon Turtle, and Phoenix Hatchling. Netherwhelp and Phoenix Hatchling are both great because I can give them movesets for "glass cannon" builds. They'll do extreme amounts of damage, but they can go down rather quickly so they rely on their speed to be able to win. Darkmoon Turtle is great in all of those pesky critter fights since I can give him two Beast type moves.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

15+ Year Old Account
    Fossilized Hatchling: large health pool, and a HP buff+self heal on top of that. He also hits VERY hard and even harder against critters, which are a huge population. It was extremely easy to level, soloed everything 1-25.

rare Tainted Cockroach and Rock Viper: fairly good ones

rare Bandicoon Kit: this pet is HORRIBLE, I had it die to a 2 levels lower white pet... Barely kills anything. The main problem is that he misses A LOT, even if he's the higher level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lil'Deathwing ftw.. Raining destruction down on them critters!
    "As Dark as a Ravens flight, Cold as Winters night"

Clockwork Gnome #1 OP Pet.
    Them turrets really rock.
    Hi

Deleted
    Toothy has solid stats, as well as two self healing abilities, and a priority move. Consume (undead) and devour (beast) give you an incredible amount of health regen. Alternatively you can swap them out, and use rip to put a bleed debuff on the target, and then blow them away with his super powerful blood in the water ability.

Restless Shadeling is amazing, one of the best pets in the game. Huge HP pool with a ton of self healing.

Ravager Hatchling is my third pet, mostly because I think Ravagers are cool. He does a truckload of damage though, and has some very good damage over time, alongisde a self heal with devour.

I have been focusing mainly on PvP battle pet comps since leveling in the world is ridiculously easy. Here is the comp that I have had the most luck with:
    Pandaren Monk - Very strong attacks, particularly against Dragons. The majority of players you fight in PvP run with at least 1 dragon, if not two. Whether it's lil deathwing, taragosa, spirit of competition, etc. Also, since many of the dragons produce whether effects, they are typically picked to be used first so you can counter with the monk off the bat and wreck them.
    Lucky Quillen Cub - Critter mob but strong beast attacks. The beast attacks wreck any critter comps that are out there and since he is a critter himself, helps to counter the possible deadly Undead pets (Lil KT, ghostly skull, restless shadeling). He also has the self heal/group health buff and the burrow ability to counter any of the flying/liftoff type pets.
    Infected Squirrel - This undead squirrel is very unique to see in the PvP world and no one has talked about it in this thread but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the infected squirrel. He is undead so he is a great counter to the troublesome human opponents you can come up against (Pandaren Monk, Father's little helper, gregorious grell, etc.). More importantly, pairing up his level 2 and 4 abilities (rabid strike: 25% more damage dealt from the target but 50% more damage taken along with Consume: Deal undead damage to the target and heal the squirrel for the same amount). When you couple those abilities, your consume deals more damage and you are then consequently healed for more health as well. Even if things aren't in the squirrels favor, he can still heal himself up to stay in the fight and with the extra turn or two you get from their family racial (resurrect once when dead), I've never had him take on an opponent one on one and lose (at worst, he takes the other pet out with him as he dies).

With this comp, there are 2 issues. 1. This comp is decidedly bad vs. Beasts. However, I have yet to come up against a really good, Beast focused group in PvP. There are beasts out there, sure. But their abilities are pretty plain-Jane and the squirrel ends up handling them pretty well. If there was a beast centered team out there ran wel and with some good synergy, I would be in trouble. However, I have yet to see that. 2. The Clockwork gnome. That little SOB and his turrets are killer. I have tried matching up all of my pets up against him one on one and just can't win. Other mechanicals don't seem to pose a problem (Lil XT, de-weaponized mechanical companion, the mechanical dragons or chicken, Tranquil Yeti, etc.) and the Monk normally takes them out with no issue. I have subsequently started to level the gnome and plan on pairing him up with the Monk and Squirrel to see how we do. Can't wait.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Well, I haven't seen the tooltips you posted, I'm just basing my comments on what I've observed in-game, i.e. in the Pet Battles themselves. I will have to take a closer look tonight. In fact my tooltips don't look anything like your picture, but perhaps you're just using different fonts in your EU client. In any case, if the tooltip really does state that, then it's definitely incorrect/misleading.

Just check this:
    Humanoids do 50% bonus damage against Dragonkin.
    You can easily test that this is false. Equip a very common Humanoid pet, like the Father Winters Helper for example. Now duel another player's Dragonkin pet. If you use your basic "Snowball" ability, you won't get any sort of special bonus against your opponent. The combat text won't say (Strong). It'll just hit for regular damage, because it's an Elemental ability. The fact that you're using a Humanoid pet type against a Dragon pet type, does not in itself confer any advantage.

On the other hand:
    ??? Beast attacks do bonus damage against Critters, not Robots. In fact, Beasts would be a poor choice to fight against a Mechanical, since they're very likely to be vulnerable to the Mechanical's attacks.

Now I'm convinced that you're reading your tooltips incorrectly. Beasts don't take additional damage from Critter abilities --> it's the other way around!

Beasts are vulnerable to Mechanical abilities.