Poll: Do you think America could be taken over by a hostile force?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Maybe if a large portion of the worlds powers joined forces, maybe. But honestly, the US has the most powerful military force on the planet right now, so it would be very long and very bloody, and in the end, not worth it for either side.
    Power isn't always the winning factor when you don't know how to use that power.
    A clever mind is always the best compliment to a powerfull swing. The US military has been beaten more than once by much smaller militaries in wargames.

I'm pretty sure Perot is referring to a financial takeover...not a military takeover.

China will soon be the world superpower.....and when this happens....the USA will never catch back up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Number one: Ross Perot is still around?

Number two: There are people who actually listen to him?!
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

The US has gone into massive debt to pay for Afghanistan and Iraq.
    The cost to occupy a country the size of the US is simply cost prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post
    I'm pretty sure Perot is referring to a financial takeover...not a military takeover.

China will soon be the world superpower.....and when this happens....the USA will never catch back up.
    What China is doing is what the US did 70 years ago. Once China finishes their boom, the world will stabilize a lot more since there will be less movement all over the place. The US and China will probably always be pretty close though. The US has the ideas and entrepreneurs, while china has the people to accomplish these ideas. Once China settles down, I imagine the world will be a nice place financially.

Of course it's well with in the realm of possibility, but at the current time, no single other nation could. It would probably take most of the modern world allying up or some aliens to accomplish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    We're an island. The only way we could be invaded would be by sea or air (mostly sea, fighter jets have to refuel somewhere), which means we'd see it coming for miles and could take care of it easily (you think we're afraid to drop some nukes on your entire force while they're in the water/away from civilians?). The logistics for a ground invasion just aren't there.
    Two words - Canada and Mexico. However your point stands, geography is definitely on your side, that and all your guns.

Deleted
    You will be invaded by a small backwater Asian country, North Korea. It is the plot of a video game so it must be true. But it won't matter as everyone will be a zombie, and the world will end one year later.

"The last thing I ever want to see is our country taken over because we're so financially weak"

Hostile force is misleading, its economics. I didnt see him mention "hostile" any where, the author interjects it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    "The last thing I ever want to see is our country taken over because we're so financially weak"

Hostile force is misleading, its economics. I didnt see him mention "hostile" any where, the author interjects it.
    Ah, the nice thing about sovereignty. Noone actually owns anything unless they want to back it up with force.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Invasion is the easy part, holding America is impossible (unless you exterminate 150-200 million people, which could be a wee bit of a logistical problem). Not even Axis in WW2 wanted to invade America, even if Europe was conquered, it is a military impossibility, manpower and materiel demands are insane, add in well organized and armed resistance (you Americans love your guns), so you can sleep soundly without any fear of invasion (terrorist attacks are another issue sadly).

10+ Year Old Account
    We have nuclear weapons, enough to burn the entire land surface of the world. No organized nation could possibly hope to combat that. And a militant group that does not have a clear point to retaliate against has no hopes of matching our wealth and military advancement. No discussion.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    We have nuclear weapons, enough to burn the entire land surface of the world. No organized nation could possibly hope to combat that. And a militant group that does not have a clear point to retaliate against has no hopes of matching our wealth and military advancement. No discussion.
    We have obama in office, he is doing everything in his power to take away our advantages. He even gave drug cartels machine guns to kill our own people so people know "guns are bad".

Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post

China is worse off than the US by a long shot.

Here's the deal, the United States is forced to reveal a debt ceiling and all of that jazz. China is not. China has a larger debt than we do, they just are not forced to broadcast it.
    Ferlion <level 85 Druid - Proudmoore>
    Formerly known as the Warlock Shadowsouled - Windrunner

Proud poster of the Story Forums. I got your faction wank right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    We have obama in office, he is doing everything in his power to take away our advantages. He even gave drug cartels machine guns to kill our own people so people know "guns are bad".
    Not saying I support Bush or Obama but Obama wasn't the first to give weapons to drug cartel's, it started under the Bush administration. And the purpose was initially to track the guns through serial coding and GPS devices implemented in the guns back to the main cartel headquarters, in turn arresting an entire cartel. The chief error was that the GPS battery died in a few days, essentially giving them free guns. Don't take everything you saw in Obama's America 2016 at face value either, our nuclear weapons stockpile is several times larger than we even need, plus we have allies with nukes, we are set.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

We dont have nukes, our gov does.

Bush's batteries didnt die in 2 days... No idea what holder and obama were thinking using drones instead of gps to track these guns (more expensive, less effective). All drug lords did was pay a 15 year old to drive in circles until the drone had to head back to texas to refuel. Then they moved the weps.

Deleted
    I voted yes, but I don't mean military, rather politically and bought piece by pieces, as Greece is bought now.

Nothing is impossible but the concept of America being taken over by a hostile force? Unlikely, while the military may have issues with recruitment for questional wars I don't see there being any shortage for a war of self defense. Plus we probably have more guns than every other first world country combined. A hostile force would have serious issues "taking over" this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeb View Post
    I just saw a documentary about 9/11 and how the US litterary could not defend themself at all. Unorganized to say the least.
    Therefore it's rather plausible that a hostile force could invade America someday.
    You can't really base your opinion because of that. 9/11 were 19 hijackers that got through because its a civilian airline. Trying to get a military force across the ocean, past our satellites, Air Force, Navy, and then being able to wipe out our Army and Marine Corps is a whole other ball game.

A hostile takeover via war I sorely doubt in the immediate future. We're all getting more and more dependent on each other as countries. It'd spiral into a second great depression easily.

Now what I do suspect is a hostile takeover by debt. Would it really be so out of line for China to go "you owe us so much money, we'd forgive a lot of it if you give us...Alaska and Hawaii. You're not using them for much."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.