Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    What kind of numbers are you seeing?

    Hello everyone.

    I'm curious to know what kind of dps other warlocks are seeing in both 5man heroics as well as raiding dummy tests. Currently I play as demonology and I hit about 50k+ dps on average on 5man bosses, going as high as 70k+ on some fights that are rather short, needless to say. But the reason I'm asking is because my raiding dummy dps is in my opinion low - only around 36-37k, while I've heard about some classes doing like 10k more on a dummy than me. I have also played Affliction and I pulled slightly lower numbers with it and I also found it boring to play so I'm rolling with Demonology now, haven't tried Destruction at 90 yet, played with it at 85 though in the pre-patch.

    Now I'm very new to the warlock class, I've mostly played warrior and mage before, so I guess I have something to learn still though I consider myself a pretty good lock considering I'm topping the meters in dungeons while paying attention to the actual encounters, something that many seem to fail at. Here's a link to my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Oneman/simple if someone has any ideas about reforging more optimally and so on. My rotation on fights, starting at 200 demonic fury, goes pretty much like this: CoE if needed, HoG, Corruption, Metamorphosis + Doom, back to normal caster form, spam shadowbolt while using molten core procs and keeping dots up. When I'm at around 700-800 demonic fury I go into Metamorphosis while popping Dark Soul and my on-use trinket and spam Touch of Chaos and using molten core procs. I use Doomguard towards the end of the fight to get the most out of it, while popping it early enough so it has full duration for the fight.

    I think that's pretty much how my playing goes, I don't have any idea if my way of playing is the "right" way, with "right" being the most optimal, because I don't usually like asking people how to play or reading guides because it's more fun to learn to play by yourself and figure out stuff. Again though, if anyone has any tips for my reforging and rotation I'd gladly hear about them. I rolled warlock for my guild and I don't want to lag behind in raids dps wise.

    Anyway as I said before let everyone hear what kind of dps you are pulling atm and share your tips here.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord dawawe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atl, Ga
    Posts
    909
    Dont use soulfire in demon form unless the boss is going to die in the next 5 seconds. Depending on the fight u can gauge when to use the doom gaurd i just pop it around 50% now because fights arent long in 5m.


    I switched to aff as soon as i got 450+ ilvl pulling 59-72k depending on fights.
    Last edited by dawawe; 2012-10-01 at 06:01 PM.
    Why read words when we can kill stuff the words tell us about?
    You have dreamed of death, you thought to escape it. Now, my little puppet, death is all you will ever know.
    NO ITEMS EEEVVVEEERRR!!!

  3. #3
    Im seeing the same numbers; as demo im hitting 50-80k depending on the fight, havnt really tried sustained Affli but demo seems pretty darn nice. I got 459 i level atm.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Daedelus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    1,261
    You don't want to use Soulfire during Meta. During Meta you (hopefully) stack up Molten Core procs then as soon as you are back in caster form, spam Soulfire to build Fury back up quickly. What I try to do on boss fights is time it so that you drop out of Meta just after boss drops to below 20% so you can spam SF.

  5. #5
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    61
    in 463 gear im currently bursting way above 100k in 5 man hcs on bosses as demo, record with player buffs would be around 120k.
    though im mostly just chilling on trash and keeping my demonic fury maxed and ready for bosspull.
    open with a cruse of elements, pot, my hastebuff from herb, dark soul, then i spam my macro which uses my grimore of service, puts on corruption, meta form, doom, then i manually throw out the doomguard and felguards storm. after that i just spam touch of chaos and watch as my dps goes crazy
    with a decent party and dependant on boss mechanics, the boss is usually dead or close to dead before my demonic fury runs out, if it does i throw out some hand of guldans and stick to the normal "build up demo fury" rotation, keep hand of guldan on CD, use molten core procs etc.

    100k dps is not what i end the fight with though. it will eventually drop once dark soul and my procs are gone. if it's a long fight i usually finish around 70k given i use this strategy of going all out at pull.
    I prefer to remember WoW as it used to be...
    Not the abomination it has become...

  6. #6
    Destruction spec with 450il ish gear, not even hit capped for 92 targets. So far in heroics, the avg dps I pull is in the 50k-60k ball park. With doom guard popped on a short single target fight, the dps is around 65k-80k

    btw: I didn't bother with flasks or pots, just self buff and typical 5 man buffs
    Last edited by guanqi; 2012-10-02 at 05:06 PM.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Kildragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by guanqi View Post
    Destruction spec with 450il ish gear, not even hit capped for 92 targets. So far in heroics, the avg dps I pull is in the 50k-60k ball park. With doom guard popped on a short single target fight, the dps is around 65k-80k

    btw: I didn't bother with flasks or pots, just self buff and typical 5 man buffs

    Haven't done too much as Afflic or Destro in these dungeons, but as Demo I've seen numbers as high as 90k for single target if the fight is done fast enough. Starting with a full bar of Fury, popping Wild Imps, Int trinket, Dark Soul, and going all out can yield some nasty numbers.

    My personal favorite though is having 23 stacks of Molten Core from trash packs through channeling Harvest, and then going all out with trinket and CD's popped while Meta is up. I know, I know, blasphemy, I'm not supposed to use MC procs while Meta is up, but during those quick dungeon bosses, spamming SF with all CD's up will get you upwards of 140k by the end of the fight if the boss dies right away.

  8. #8
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    France, Illidan-EU
    Posts
    1,744
    Heroics aren't exactly a good measurement of DPS since it depends A LOT on the other players DPS/specs, plus you start with full resource. I can do easily more than 100k DPS on a lot of the bosses but this is starting with 4 embers...
    Android App : World of Quizzcraft
    Test your knowledge of WoW with 1200 questions and 80 achievements!

    Inactive since 09/2013

  9. #9
    well, look i pull 120k-100k on heroics as demo, the reason is that i always start the fight with full fury pop everthing and facerole the boss but this aint gonna happend in raids you gotta build DF dont pay attention to heroic dps, i had pull 100k-90k sustained dmgs as destro cuse i started with 3 embers

  10. #10
    Brewmaster Junblat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Warlockville, Lebanon
    Posts
    1,334
    english numbers mostly

  11. #11

  12. #12
    I call shenanigans on most of these obscene numbers, now i've been playing wow for a long time, 90% warlock, and even though i may not have the best knowledge of warlocks i like to think i have some idea of what im doing, im at about 456 ilvl and the best i've done is around 46K dps, usually 38K - 40K.

    Now let's assume everyone who posted has FULL epic gear (which im sure they are not even close to having, but for the sake of the argument) some claim a 100% dps increase by the end of an encounter with about 10-20 ilvls above in gear.

    Is it just me not giving enough f***s about proper spell priority in rotations or did i just happen to fall into a hive of uber-hardcore-raiders.

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Quario View Post
    I call shenanigans on most of these obscene numbers, now i've been playing wow for a long time, 90% warlock, and even though i may not have the best knowledge of warlocks i like to think i have some idea of what im doing, im at about 456 ilvl and the best i've done is around 46K dps, usually 38K - 40K.

    Now let's assume everyone who posted has FULL epic gear (which im sure they are not even close to having, but for the sake of the argument) some claim a 100% dps increase by the end of an encounter with about 10-20 ilvls above in gear.

    Is it just me not giving enough f***s about proper spell priority in rotations or did i just happen to fall into a hive of uber-hardcore-raiders.
    I think honestly, it's because you're doing it wrong.

    In 407 dragon soul gear after 5.0.4 numbers above 60k on Ultraxion were possible. Granted we are at the beginning, not end of an expansion, but you should easily be able to do more. Even with 456 item level I would say 50k+ DPS (stand and burn) is possible, once you get to 465+ you could easily do above 55k.

    That's for single target.... for AoE or fights (Elegon) 100k+ is very very possible.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Quario View Post
    I call shenanigans on most of these obscene numbers, now i've been playing wow for a long time, 90% warlock, and even though i may not have the best knowledge of warlocks i like to think i have some idea of what im doing, im at about 456 ilvl and the best i've done is around 46K dps, usually 38K - 40K.

    Now let's assume everyone who posted has FULL epic gear (which im sure they are not even close to having, but for the sake of the argument) some claim a 100% dps increase by the end of an encounter with about 10-20 ilvls above in gear.

    Is it just me not giving enough f***s about proper spell priority in rotations or did i just happen to fall into a hive of uber-hardcore-raiders.
    Then im sorry to say that you have been doing something wrong for 90% fo the time. The numbers that have been posted above are not out of the ball park at all. For thrash aoe 130k is not a Feat of Strength. I am in 469 gear at the moment and for normal heroic boss fights 60k+ is normal. On salryi´s Warband i pulled 70k even not being 93+ hit capped and the only one who topped me was a rogue.

    True that the figures change alot, there are fights that leave me below 50k but that means that the second one in the group is _usually_ around 40k. Demo is in a very nice spot at the moment but i have seen some amazing DK damage, spriest damage and Shaman damage too, not to mention rogues. So far no class seems superbly op or far above anyone.

    Im just happy that im beating some mages

  15. #15
    Granted. Now, before i pull all of my hair out of my head, having discovered this horrid truth, where could i find a SPECIFIC guide for, let's say, affliction regarding stats and especially rotation priority, i must be doing something awfully wrong if the difference is that big.

    Manaflask has a decent guide but it doesnt cover everything, elitistjerks warlocks forum is uninteligible and missing topics on each spec, the warlocks den seems dead or they've hidden the new posts quite well, and over here, i cant find something solid.

    Plx halp!1

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Quario View Post
    Granted. Now, before i pull all of my hair out of my head, having discovered this horrid truth, where could i find a SPECIFIC guide for, let's say, affliction regarding stats and especially rotation priority, i must be doing something awfully wrong if the difference is that big.

    Manaflask has a decent guide but it doesnt cover everything, elitistjerks warlocks forum is uninteligible and missing topics on each spec, the warlocks den seems dead or they've hidden the new posts quite well, and over here, i cant find something solid.

    Plx halp!1
    The Affliction guide at the sticky section of the Warlock Forum is pretty good. It tells you what to cast, priority, multitarget, gemming, stat weights, pretty much everything you need to know.

    As said before, Affliction is a beast if you get to stand still but demo is great when movement is required.
    Last edited by Zelol; 2012-10-05 at 11:22 AM.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelol View Post
    The Affliction guide at the sticky section of the Warlock Forum is pretty good. It tells you what to cast, priority, multitarget, gemming, stat weights, pretty much everything you need to know.

    As said before, Affliction is a beast if you get to stand still but demo is great when movement is required.
    New expansion is new, guides aren't really out yet and most raiders are focused on encounters versus telling the tricks they've learned to others. That said a basic guide on mmo-champ is pretty good to start with. You'll probably get the most mileage, otherwise, just from reading and understanding the discussions here.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2012-10-05 at 12:13 PM.

  19. #19
    Am @ 467 ilvl equiped and on stone guards as demonology i peak 110-120k and have sustained dps of about 70k.

  20. #20
    Brewmaster Vayshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Netherlands - Draenor (EU)
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by derphurrdurr View Post
    Hello everyone.

    I'm curious to know what kind of dps other warlocks are seeing in both 5man heroics as well as raiding dummy tests. Currently I play as demonology and I hit about 50k+ dps on average on 5man bosses, going as high as 70k+ on some fights that are rather short, needless to say. But the reason I'm asking is because my raiding dummy dps is in my opinion low - only around 36-37k, while I've heard about some classes doing like 10k more on a dummy than me. I have also played Affliction and I pulled slightly lower numbers with it and I also found it boring to play so I'm rolling with Demonology now, haven't tried Destruction at 90 yet, played with it at 85 though in the pre-patch.

    Now I'm very new to the warlock class, I've mostly played warrior and mage before, so I guess I have something to learn still though I consider myself a pretty good lock considering I'm topping the meters in dungeons while paying attention to the actual encounters, something that many seem to fail at. Here's a link to my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Oneman/simple if someone has any ideas about reforging more optimally and so on. My rotation on fights, starting at 200 demonic fury, goes pretty much like this: CoE if needed, HoG, Corruption, Metamorphosis + Doom, back to normal caster form, spam shadowbolt while using molten core procs and keeping dots up. When I'm at around 700-800 demonic fury I go into Metamorphosis while popping Dark Soul and my on-use trinket and spam Touch of Chaos and using molten core procs. I use Doomguard towards the end of the fight to get the most out of it, while popping it early enough so it has full duration for the fight.

    I think that's pretty much how my playing goes, I don't have any idea if my way of playing is the "right" way, with "right" being the most optimal, because I don't usually like asking people how to play or reading guides because it's more fun to learn to play by yourself and figure out stuff. Again though, if anyone has any tips for my reforging and rotation I'd gladly hear about them. I rolled warlock for my guild and I don't want to lag behind in raids dps wise.

    Anyway as I said before let everyone hear what kind of dps you are pulling atm and share your tips here.
    I'm getting the same numbers as you are (in Demo spec). I peak at 150k-200k while AoEing though (depends on the size of the mob pack that's being killed). Don't do the bolded+underlined part while in demon form, just spam Touch of Chaos and use those Molten Cores once you're out of meta.

    About reforging... the Demonology guide here on MMO suggests Intellect > Hit (15%) > Haste > Crit > Mastery. So reforge ouf of Mastery into the other more important stats. You can also reforge into Expertise to get more Hit on a single piece of gear. Try to avoid Spirit gear though.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 02:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosy View Post
    Am @ 467 ilvl equiped and on stone guards as demonology i peak 110-120k and have sustained dps of about 70k.
    Single target? AoE? Also which buffs? Link your armory plz :3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •