The death of a MMO is always sad.

Just heard NCSoft are shutting down City of Heroes. Small MMO but one that I personally had a lot of hours of fun with over the years on and off. Feels really sad to hear it is shutting down.

Deleted
    It feels sad watching those companies providing free gaming and getting nothing but few bobs from some extra premium service that nobody cares about. It was great game indeed.

Deleted
    MMOs never die, they always live in our pcs... I meant hearts, they always live in our hearts.

Back to the Topic, yes. Is always sad when something you really liked finish. It might even be hard to see it when you grow up with it. Yes, its only a videogame but hell its sad.

It's so rare for MMOs to shut down though. Things have to be totally unsustainable or broken before they actually shut down. Most run on for years and years.

Games like EQ are over a decade old and still going.

COH lasted 8 years. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hmzlol View Post
    It feels sad watching those companies providing free gaming and getting nothing but few bobs from some extra premium service that nobody cares about. It was great game indeed.
    Agree free to play was clearly the wrong business model for CoH. Since most of the stuff that was good could be played for free, it was a different breed of MMO. I wonder how expensive it is to host the servers for the game? NCsoft are being daft in my view.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's so rare for MMOs to shut down though. Things have to be totally unsustainable or broken before they actually shut down. Most run on for years and years.

Games like EQ are over a decade old and still going.

COH lasted 8 years. Not bad at all.
    Look at Asheron's Call, it is still alive and I played that when I was still at high school (28 now). I wonder if they would make any money selling it as an offline game, but I bet that would take too much configuring.

There's already a thread for this, please keep discussion there.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...City-of-Heroes