Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    IKEA airbrushes women out of their Saudi catalogue.

    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...825462437.html

    I kind of laughed at this considering that, to the best of my knowledge, it's not illegal in ANY Muslim country to ban pictures of women as long as they're clothed.

  2. #2
    Less to do with IKEA and more to do with Swedes not understanding that not everywhere is Sweden.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Less to do with IKEA and more to do with Swedes not understanding that not everywhere is Sweden.
    It's stupid to airbrush women out of the catalogue. The Saudis aren't going to care as long as the women in it weren't in bikinis or some shit. Moderate muslims (such as the ones in Saudi Arabia) don't require women to wear a burqa or anything (Though they do require a woman to get permission from a male guardian to do anything).

    Avoiding the (in Ikea's eyes) uncomfortable existence of women isn't going to win them any favors in Sweden or Saudi Arabia.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Less to do with IKEA and more to do with Swedes not understanding that not everywhere is Sweden.
    It wasn't the Swedes airbrushing her out. It was the Saudis, in particular the IKEA franchise holder in Saudi Arabia.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    It wasn't the Swedes airbrushing her out. It was the Saudis, in particular the IKEA franchise holder in Saudi Arabia.
    Actually it was IKEA. Not just the Saudi franchise holder. A franchise holder is always required, by contract, to receive approval from the parent before changing any material they're sent from the parent.

    The Swedish IKEA would have had to know about and approve the edit. That's assuming it even originated from the Saudis and not Sweden.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, more fascist every day
    Posts
    3,694
    Who cares? Are there not hundreds or thousands of far more worthy and pressing problems to deal with? That any politician or official (the trade minister) would even address this shows that politician’s/officer’s lack of sane priorities.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

  7. #7
    I would think it was smart for them to do it. They're not losing any customers by airbrushing the women out, but they would be losing some by keeping them in. When you grow up in a culture that is so anti-female, even if you're not of the belief that women are lower-class citizens, it subconsciously seeps in, whether you like it or not. And there's also the few who are anti-female who might be less inclined to appreciate the ad when they see the presence of a woman.

    They lose nothing by airbrushing the woman out, they might gain something by doing it.

    They should've been more careful about it though. Should've taken entirely new photos without women in the first place.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  8. #8
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    16,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's stupid to airbrush women out of the catalogue. The Saudis aren't going to care as long as the women in it weren't in bikinis or some shit. Moderate muslims (such as the ones in Saudi Arabia) don't require women to wear a burqa or anything (Though they do require a woman to get permission from a male guardian to do anything).

    Avoiding the (in Ikea's eyes) uncomfortable existence of women isn't going to win them any favors in Sweden or Saudi Arabia.
    It was decided after talks with the saudi Decency Police who told them to edit. You seem to have a bit weird perception of Suadi Arabia and wahhabahism.
    IKEA is a company and want to sell, being in conflict with official agencies would not be optimal.
    Russia isn't afraid of US dude. That's why they are sending their bombers like 60km out of your shores. Infact they give 0 fucks. They know you wont dare to touch them.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...825462437.html

    I kind of laughed at this considering that, to the best of my knowledge, it's not illegal in ANY Muslim country to ban pictures of women as long as they're clothed.
    That's not the point. Regardless of whether or not it is illegal is irrelevant. IKEA is in the business of selling things. Whoever did this obviously thought that the inclusion of women in the catalogue may offend some of their potential customers, so they removed them. Whether or not is is technically legal makes no difference. If they could lose money that's all that matters, so they made a call.

    This is a business. They don't care about being principled (not that it would make a difference), nor do they care to argue semantics with those who may be offended. They want to sell furniture and other crap, that's the goal.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actually it was IKEA. Not just the Saudi franchise holder. A franchise holder is always required, by contract, to receive approval from the parent before changing any material they're sent from the parent.
    Could you please link to a copy of the franchise contract since you seem to know its details so well?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    Could you please link to a copy of the franchise contract since you seem to know its details so well?
    Yeah especially considering the quote:

    "We are looking into the issue and holding a dialogue with our Saudi franchise holder," said Ulrika Englesson Sandman, a spokesperson for Inter IKEA Systems, which owns the IKEA trademark and concept.
    Makes it really obvious that the parent company knows nothing.

    (Unless you would like to invent conspiracy theories, this is the internet so go right ahead!)

  12. #12
    This is what's called "Agurke Nyheder" on Denmark. Who the f... cares.

    I heard it inn the news today, and just tough... w/e. Just some story that is placed to damage the brand of Ikea.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Joán View Post
    Yeah especially considering the quote:



    Makes it really obvious that the parent company knows nothing.

    (Unless you would like to invent conspiracy theories, this is the internet so go right ahead!)
    Umm that quote is so generic and full of bull that its obvious that the IKEA company know they have approved the edit. Read it again: "We are looking into the issue" = "we noticed the bad press", "holding a dialogue..." = it would be really strange if IKEA *didn't* usually hold a dialogue with their franchise holders.

    What I mean is that if they weren't approving it they would have said "Inter IKEA did not approve of the edit and it was wrong of them to do so"

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    Could you please link to a copy of the franchise contract since you seem to know its details so well?
    You clearly know nothing about franchising if you really think a franchise is simply autonomous. They knew.

  15. #15
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    This is a business. They don't care about being principled (not that it would make a difference), nor do they care to argue semantics with those who may be offended. They want to sell furniture and other crap, that's the goal.
    That is an argument that can lead down a very dark path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You clearly know nothing about franchising if you really think a franchise is simply autonomous. They knew.
    Exactly. With all the secrecy of IKEA and their absolute control from the Kamprad clan there is little doubt that they have a very tight control of their so called "franchise". But damn they make such cheap furniture... (yes my home is 90% IKEA stuff)

  17. #17
    It's quite tasteless is it not? Multi-National companies should try to spread acceptance, not adhere to inacceptance.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    It wasn't the Swedes airbrushing her out. It was the Saudis, in particular the IKEA franchise holder in Saudi Arabia.
    No but it's the swedes in the article who are going all "think of the children?!" on the story.

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,276
    I don't find any fault in IKEA here, they're just trying to sell a product. The Saudi government is where the problem is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  20. #20
    Elemental Lord Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,053
    Well, rather be safe then sorry I guess. Muslim extremists are 100% unpredictable, just look at some of the recent events.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •