Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yes, I read the article. She's Brazilian, she's naturally darker skinned, and probably tans quickly and deeply. There's no reason to think she's excessively tanned in the ad photo other than simply having no idea what people of other ethnicities look like. My girlfriend gets dark as hell with a fairly small amount of exposure to sun; it's not because she's doing something unhealthy. Trying to scrub out images of people that look like that on the basis that they're a "skin cancer ideal" seems pretty messed up.
    Read the rest I typed, it is not about that a single model super tanned such as in that article. It is about 15 years of non-stop using models that has about zero in common with us living here.
    Anorectic, mega silicon tits, super tanned.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Read the rest I typed, it is not about that a single model super tanned such as in that article. It is about 15 years of non-stop using models that has about zero in common with us living here.
    Anorectic, mega silicon tits, supertanned.
    So, why were they complaining about this specific ad? Isabeli Fontana looks like a fit, naturally breasted, healthy woman.

Deleted
    The amusing thing for me is chances are is SA it is the women shopping in ikea and such, not the men.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, why were they complaining about this specific ad? Isabeli Fontana looks like a fit, naturally breasted, healthy woman.
    Why are people complaining at a certain point in general?
    Did people complain much about the fiscal sectore or did they complain when they started to need to get bailed out?
    Point is, people start to really complain when enough is enough.

As I do live in Sweden and you do not I can tell you that HM been using excessive ideals as models for the past 15 years.
    Now, if one of the biggest dangers we in the western world encounter healthwise is cancer, why should we not take a stand when HM use ads like this giving our children stupid ideals?

It has nothing to do with racism cos the model happened to be brazilian (with added photoshop tan) but that we fight skin cancer over here in the north.
    Get the bigger picture already.

Edit: there has been complaints in swedish media as well, the past 15 years. You just happened to read this one english article and jump to conclusion that suddenly we object cos she happened to be brazilian.
    News at 11, international media publish what can get peoples attention without any interest in putting it into context.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    The amusing thing for me is chances are is SA it is the women shopping in ikea and such, not the men.
    It is in fact that way usually in Saudi Arabia (speaking from experience) women handle most of the choosing and picking of furniture and sometimes even house interiors and design.

Why are people complaining at a certain point in general?
    Did people complain much about the fiscal sectore or did they complain when they started to need to get bailed out?
    Point is, people start to really complain when enough is enough.
    That seems weird that the person that sets off an enough is enough response is someone that's not an unhealthy ideal, but is just a darker skinned woman. I think you're underestimating the possibility of subtle racism.

As I do live in Sweden and you do not I can tell you that HM been using excessive ideals as models for the past 15 years.
    We have H+M here as well, and I've definitely noticed that their ads focus on that sort of thin, sallow unhealthy look. They're not the only one, but they're quite guilty of it from what I recall.

Now, if one of the biggest dangers we in the western world encounter healthwise is cancer, why should we not take a stand when HM use ads like this giving our children stupid ideals?
    Seems weird to do so by taking stand when the person in the ad isn't actually a bad ideal to shoot for (although it's surely not practical for most people, since she's in incredible shape). Surely people aren't dim enough to try to replicate the skin color of people that aren't the same ethnicity.

It has nothing to do with racism cos the model happened to be brazilian (with added photoshop tan) but that we fight skin cancer over here in the north. Get the bigger picture already.
    I don't think it's virulent, "I hate those darkies" type racism. I think that it has the look of subtle racism when an ad features a darker skinned skinned woman and someone complains that it's an unhealthy ideal. Seriously, are they supposed to just ban ads of people that aren't sufficiently fair skinned?

Yes, I read the article. She's Brazilian, she's naturally darker skinned, and probably tans quickly and deeply. There's no reason to think she's excessively tanned in the ad photo other than simply having no idea what people of other ethnicities look like. My girlfriend gets dark as hell with a fairly small amount of exposure to sun; it's not because she's doing something unhealthy. Trying to scrub out images of people that look like that on the basis that they're a "skin cancer ideal" seems pretty messed up.
    Gotta love the swenglish in the statement "Every year, more people die in Sweden of (skin cancer) than in traffic accidents, and the main cause is too much sunning," the group said."

Anyways, there is not a swede alive today that don't realize there are people with darker skintones, it's not the US but we are not all blond and pale(we tan quite easily tbh, at least those of us who walk outdoors lol) :P

I think the reason they objected to it was because she looks like a "white european" with a heavy tan, how are you supposed to know that the model is brazilian when you just see the poster at the bus stop? I wouldn't be suprised if they thought she was Swedish/European. I still think it's really stupid of course, but I don't think there is a racial motive behind the protests.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    It is in fact that way usually in Saudi Arabia (speaking from experience) women handle most of the choosing and picking of furniture and sometimes even house interiors and design.
    I have no illusion that women in SA does not handle the home, after all that is all they are entitled to do, but they still do so under the supervision and approval of men.
    Implying that women have any sort of freedom in SA even in terms of the home is pretty thin.

That being said, I'm against the inequality but I also think that it is not of my concern other that to try to influence them to think like "us".
    As far as IKEA go they got a moral responsibility to some extent but it is still just about selling a freaking bookshelf or bed.
    Not arms and backed up by political approvals and that has to be taken into account.
    This is wrong but seriously blown out of fucking proportion by lightyears

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 12:36 AM ----------

I don't think it's virulent, "I hate those darkies" type racism. I think that it has the look of subtle racism when an ad features a darker skinned skinned woman and someone complains that it's an unhealthy ideal. Seriously, are they supposed to just ban ads of people that aren't sufficiently fair skinned?
    They used a series of models for those bikini ads. All of them had european bone structure ie portrayed as people in the nordic yet most had a tan not even remotely equal to what we do get.
    It is no subtle racism, its all about HM picking 100% models that look like us while giving them a tan via photoshop that is not anywhere near what we get.
    Hence HM give want to give the impression that this is how we should look. Obviously no adult will fall for this but the critisim is that children and young teens will still see it and be less resistant and able to figure out that "if you want to look like this, grats getting skin cancer."

The national fund fighting cancer is very specific on this point. That H&M promote ideals that are extremly unhealthy to us living in this climate.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-10-03 at 12:41 AM.

Dont know if you read it, the critisism in Sweden is not toward any skin color due to origin but to extensive tanning.

The model look european but with a diehard tan, while we in the western world fight two major issues. Diabetes and cancer.
    It has nothing to do with race, origin or anything but that HM every year use models that are either superskinny promoting bulimia or unaturally tanned promoting skincancer ideals.

Regardless where their models come from they always use excessive tanning, breast implants, anorectic bodies.
    It is the ideals that HM portray that people protest again, HM are well aware of this and still use it by the All PR are good PR standard.
    It started 15 years or so ago with Anna Nicole Smith and her "ideals"
    You're missing the point.

What that watchdog effectively said is "That model looks too tan, you can't use her."

"That model" is Brazilian and looks that way BECAUSE she's Brazilian.

So what the watchdog is, effectively, saying is "You can't hire Brazilian (Or any other dark skinned) models."

I'm not sure how the hell that can be interpreted as anything but racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

What that watchdog effectively said is "That model looks too tan, you can't use her."

"That model" is Brazilian and looks that way BECAUSE she's Brazilian.

So what the watchdog is, effectively, saying is "You can't hire Brazilian (Or any other dark skinned) models."

Don't you know that only Americans are capable of racism, Laize?
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    In other news, IKEA doctors all their photos to make their furniture look less crappy than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Don't you know that only Americans are capable of racism, Laize?
    Oh silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Less to do with IKEA and more to do with Swedes not understanding that not everywhere is Sweden.
    Well, the world might actually be a better place if everywhere was Sweden.

But yes, it's only a play to the market. Can't blame them.

I was at the local IKEA yesterday and noticed the hot dogs are now hot dogs witch chicken meat only.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

That would hold true if there wasn't other compaignes with darkskined models but suprise suprise, there are.

It's not about the model, it's about the photo as a whole and it's not hard to grasp imo... eventhough I think it's stupid. If there was a racist motive behind it, it would cause an uproar. We live in the land were political correctness has long since been bordering to the redicules, which is why this add was even questioned in the first place.

Is there racism in Sweden, yes. Was this about racism, no.
    Here is a couple of short interviews with swedish models with different types of origins btw, questions about racism etc included.
    http://www.vice.com/read/fashion-swe...irls-232-v15n9
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no illusion that women in SA does not handle the home, after all that is all they are entitled to do, but they still do so under the supervision and approval of men.
    Implying that women have any sort of freedom in SA even in terms of the home is pretty thin.

That being said, I'm against the inequality but I also think that it is not of my concern other that to try to influence them to think like "us".
    As far as IKEA go they got a moral responsibility to some extent but it is still just about selling a freaking bookshelf or bed.
    Not arms and backed up by political approvals and that has to be taken into account.
    This is wrong but seriously blown out of fucking proportion by lightyears
    Well believe it or not most of the young people (males or females) over there dislike the inequality as well and as I've mentioned earlier they're changing in baby-steps that is. Prior to 2008, women weren't even allowed to have a government ID and weren't allowed into hospitals unless with a guardian, while now they are able to get an ID card and are permitted into hospitals granted they've got ID cards with them (which is required of men too). Additionally, more women are starting to work and I dare to say that it is now considered normal for a woman to work unlike a few years ago (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/wo...anted=all&_r=0 http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-women-workers ). There is also, the driving issue which is a very hot-topic in SA with younger generation supporting it and older ones being against it. So, yeah SA has a loooooooong way to go but they're trying to improve gender equality in the area.

EDIT: Also although that is a special case Saudi Aramco (the main oil company in the region) is almost independent from the Saudi government and full equality including women driving and doesn't strictly follow the country laws (i.e. drinking is allowed inside it).
    Last edited by N-7; 2012-10-03 at 03:45 PM.

Both my folks were US Air force and were stationed at Saudi Arabia for a time so me as a some toddler and my sister a little older then me got to really see the culture and this is really nothing new.

Mind you this was almost 20 years ago so things might have changed but I doubt it was much.

some great stuff you would see was "no women" signs at stores (my father got one as a souvenir along with a camel crossing sign)

Also my mother being a hardcore trekkie would watch some of Star Trek Next generation, an interesting point was the Saudi's didn't like Diana Troi and cut every single scene she was in without any regards to the story and I mean literally think of your fav star trek episode and cut every single scene with Diana. even ones where she's just chillin next to Picard.

also in general boys were just more favored then girls as my sister will tell you when her class visited a toy factory and all the young boys received a remote control car gift while the girls received paper dolls.

my mother often talked about wearing a burqa(yep non Muslim American women had to wear them too) and she wasn't allowed to drive anywhere and chances are if she tried American or not the local Saudi Arabian authorities would arrest her and demand to know why my father allowed it to happen.

though again this was from over at least 15 years ago so no idea how it is there now
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Well, rather be safe then sorry I guess. Muslim extremists are 100% unpredictable, just look at some of the recent events.
    I don't think it has anything to do with extremists, but has everything to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    That would hold true if there wasn't other compaignes with darkskined models but suprise suprise, there are.

It's not about the model, it's about the photo as a whole and it's not hard to grasp imo... eventhough I think it's stupid. If there was a racist motive behind it, it would cause an uproar. We live in the land were political correctness has long since been bordering to the redicules, which is why this add was even questioned in the first place.

Is there racism in Sweden, yes. Was this about racism, no.
    Here is a couple of short interviews with swedish models with different types of origins btw, questions about racism etc included.
    http://www.vice.com/read/fashion-swe...irls-232-v15n9
    Racism doesn't have to be intentional.

In America, telling H&M they couldn't use South American models because their skin is too dark would be called racism. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it.

The ad depicts a dark-skinned woman outside in a bikini.

Outside is where you WEAR a bikini and the woman is dark-skinned because she's Brazilian.

I'm not sure what the hell is so hard to grasp about this.