10+ Year Old Account

Inscription without herbalism

I have a level 81 alt that I'm thinking of picking up inscription on. My main is JC/mining. I'm wondering if inscription is financially sustainable without having herbalism? i.e can I buy all the flowers from AH to mill, without going broke? That way I can free up the second slot for something like alchemy. Tea Leaves on my server is about 20-30g per stack, which is not bad at all. I don't know what else Inscription needs though.

Thoughts?

green leaf tea is your best bet you can buy them as cheap as 20g/stack if your realm is big enough

i bought like 3000 herbs easily. atm im sitting at 450 inks and ran out of green ones for my cards ;/

ye tea leaf is all u need since they all get the same amount of ink from it, do research once then make the glyph u get all the way to like 590
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Check the wow professions website and see the leveling guide. Then see what herbs it says you need and check the price. The BC and WotLK ones might be expensive. But like the other guy said, when you get to MoP green leaf is the best one as its probably gong to be the cheapest.

Deleted
    Just a few things about inscription. If its for a gold maker then be prepared to put time in. Also an inscriptor who has all the recipes takes a long time to develop as you need to do a lot of research. Books of glyph mastery for between 300-1500 each are to learn what used to be exlcusive cata glyphs, but you cna get all these from northend reasearch by an additional 1 per day research.

I hate not having the ability to supply my own mats. Its a gamble. The cheap leveled herbs will dry up and be replaced by botted herbs.

It will pay for itself , but how much gold you make will be server dependant especially the level of competition. I dont think its opne to just dabble in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Just a few things about inscription. If its for a gold maker then be prepared to put time in. Also an inscriptor who has all the recipes takes a long time to develop as you need to do a lot of research. Books of glyph mastery for between 300-1500 each are to learn what used to be exlcusive cata glyphs, but you cna get all these from northend reasearch by an additional 1 per day research.

I hate not having the ability to supply my own mats. Its a gamble. The cheap leveled herbs will dry up and be replaced by botted herbs.

It will pay for itself , but how much gold you make will be server dependant especially the level of competition. I dont think its opne to just dabble in.
    That's good to hear. I don't plan for it to be a money maker. I'm pretty awful at money making. I'm really just interested in being self sufficient (have my own glyphs, help friends out with glyphs, etc). I already have mining, and I'm perfectly happy with mining for 30 minutes, listing on the AH and collecting 200g in the mail the next day. What I really want to know is whether that 200g every day is enough to sustain my daily research for all the glyphs.

Got a friend who just dumped all her unused cata flowers on me, so I've quite enough blackfallow->ink of the seas for northrend research.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on what you are going for.

Cards? BoA staff? just the stat buff?

Question for scribes: the descriptions for Northrend and Minor Inscription research both say that there's a chance to learn a new glyph recipe, but they fall short of saying it's guaranteed. I've never actually not learned anything from either until recently, when I stopped learning minor glyphs and last night, when I finally didn't learn a major glyph recipe.

Is the research actually guaranteed despite the description? If so, I'm assuming that means I have no more recipes to learn (not counting scrolls of wisdom recipes), right? And Books of Glyph Mastery won't help any at this point?
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Question for scribes: the descriptions for Northrend and Minor Inscription research both say that there's a chance to learn a new glyph recipe, but they fall short of saying it's guaranteed. I've never actually not learned anything from either until recently, when I stopped learning minor glyphs and last night, when I finally didn't learn a major glyph recipe.

Is the research actually guaranteed despite the description? If so, I'm assuming that means I have no more recipes to learn (not counting scrolls of wisdom recipes), right? And Books of Glyph Mastery won't help any at this point?
    99% positive that you will always learn a new recipe, if there is a new recipe to learn.

The "chance to learn" that they are talking about most likely has to do with when you have learned all the recipes from the research.

thanks much for the quick reply. So my only new recipes will come from Scrolls of Wisdom now? Don't want to buy Books if I don't have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    thanks much for the quick reply. So my only new recipes will come from Scrolls of Wisdom now? Don't want to buy Books if I don't have to.
    Yeah I think you are safe to only make Scrolls of Wisdom now. If it made it to live(which I think it did) the Scrolls will teach you glyphs you don't have from the books as well as the new glyphs.

So its up to you whether you buy the books or not. I'd say not and just make the people who are selling the books for 1k hold onto them.

in cata i leveled inscription to 525 on 2 toons without having herb. i would go as far as saying inscription is the cheapest, or at least one of the the cheapest raid professions to power level through the ah.

I agree completely. The only reason they were so expensive is because that was the only way to learn those recipes. Now that there's competition for supply, the price might come down. And since we have to make the scrolls anyway every day, there's really no reason anyone should buy a book unless they're in a hurry to learn everything.

On topic for this post: I'm leveling a miner/herbalist as we speak. Would rather farm my own.