Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    make me number 3
    Count me in as a 4th. Was like, wtf, how can you refute physics? But yeah, on topic, psychics are a load of bull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    People just do things that feels right to them and i say as long as they don't break any laws or hurt others go for it.
    People are free to believe what they want. That doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism.

Deleted
    What happens to our consciousness when we die is unknown to all living beings and it will most likely remain that way.
    The most reasonable assumption is to say that it dies along with our body never to return ever again.
    But as none can prove or disprove life after death people like mediums,psychics and other ragtags get the opportunity to take advantage of less knowing people.

We can with almost 100% certainty prove that every medium/psychic or w/e they may call themselves are thieves and cons, lowlife scum!
    But we can't be sure if what they claim is true or not. We can argue all night about how unrealistic it may seem, but the fact remains, it's unknown territory for science and therefor we can't say that people are stupid or ignorant because we don't have any facts to educate them from.

Saying that something isn't possible because we currently don't have knowledge about it is a mistake science has done over and over again and I dislike that part.

--------------------------------------
    Also: Any scientist trying to prove/disprove this very taboo subject would be ridiculed and decredited the very second he utters this subject, so seeing the truth about this will probably never happen.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-10-01 at 09:12 PM.

i hate the fact that the a-holes in ghosthunters are making money

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah but even when he got a chance to use it he could find the position, but then he couldn't find the momentum and when he could find the momentum he suddenly lost the position.

/quantum physics jokes are fun!
    "Planck, your dick is so small that when you piss you create a diffraction pattern!"

That's how I imagine the riffs in physics circles going.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Prove that that this silly power of the mind tricks deal is true. Otherwise there's nothing to be open about.
    For my A levels we studied these types of Parapsychology and surprise surprise there has never been a scientifically documented case of any sort of psychic powers.

Telling other to just be open minded doesn't change the fact you have no proof for it.
    So it seems you can't read. i was not saying believe in Psychics i was saying have a open mind about why people do believe in them.

Most do it for a peace of mind so they can feel they got that one last moment with loved ones.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 09:11 PM ----------

People are free to believe what they want. That doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism.
    People can make as much criticism as much as they want dose not make them right.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Wow I read the title as Physics at first and was about to be angry.

Carry on.

As a side note, people are going to believe in whatever they want to believe in. We can either sit in judgment of them and whatever, or just let them do what they want. If it's not harming anyone else, who cares.
    Lol, I read it as that, too. XD

Well hypnosis is real and delusions of grandeur as well !

Or, "Shut up Einstein, the only reason you were able to write a paper about gravity wells is because you were able to study the one around your mom."

Oh man I might have to start writing these down.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it seems you can't read. i was not saying believe in Psychics i was saying have a open mind about why people do believe in them.

Most do it for a peace of mind so they can feel they got that one last moment with loved ones.
    I was speaking more openly about psychics and less aimed at you. It's pointless to tell somebody to be open minded about a belief that is close minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why are there so many stupid people that believe garbage like psychics, people who talk to spirits, ghosts, and fortunes. It's asinine to believe that kind of tripe. And they waste money on top of it. Are they really that gullible and weak minded that they fall for that crap?

It's hilarious watching people on TV crying and actually believing the crap they are told by these so called mediums as they tell them their dead Mom is happy now and how she wants the kids to be a doctor or something. Do they just want it to be true so bad that they lose their common sense and believe it? I cant see anyone other than a moron actually thinking its real.
    People will believe what they want to hear. Possibly because they can't or don't want to move on.

I was speaking more openly about psychics and less aimed at you. It's pointless to tell somebody to be open minded about a belief that is close minded.
    I felt you overlooked my point is what i ment by that.

As i said it gives people a peace of mind. Do what makes you feel good and happy as long as you don't break laws or hurt others i don't care.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Because out of all the stories and assumptions we have about the universe, their favourites involve a continuation of personality that can be contacted by a medium.

As a double-edged sword, this means they can easilly find comfort in a crisis but also leaves them open to exploitation.

If you lost a love one or your life hit rock bottom i think you would have poor critical thinking as well.....
    I don't think so, I've lost 1 cat and 1 family dog so far in my life. I've also been suffering from depression for over 10 years, but I still manage to retain my critical thinking skills. Which also means I'm fighting a constant battle between my emotional side and my logical side, which is preventing me from breaking free from my depression yet. But I've been making some good progress lately, so maybe some day.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I don't think so, I've lost 1 cat and 1 family dog so far in my life. I've also been suffering from depression for over 10 years, but I still manage to retain my critical thinking skills. Which also means I'm fighting a constant battle between my emotional side and my logical side, which is preventing me from breaking free from my depression yet. But I've been making some good progress lately, so maybe some day.
    Hahaha!!! Amazing
    Not that they died, that's sad. But that can't have been as traumatic as losing a child is for example.

Edit: Sorry for laughing that just sounded funny. Not sure if that's what you attempted to do? Otherwise I apologize for the laughing
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-10-01 at 09:21 PM.

Is this supposed to be funny? I love my dogs a ton and if they would die, i'd be really sad. That being said, a dog does not compare to say, a wife of 40 years, or a mother.

People just want to believe that they can still talk to their family. They want to believe there's an escape to the natural order, that they don't have to deal with the hard truth of death or the physical world.

Not to sound like a ass so don't take it that way but for some losing a family animal that's been there for years may be a lot easer to deal and them losing a Mom,Dad,Wife,Husband im sure would be a lot harder. I lost a dog last year i had 13 years and a cat before it i had for around the same time so i'm speaking from experience on that

Each person deals with lost different to say just because you delt with it in said way dose not mean someone else will react the same way as you.

And its immature to think that way.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-10-01 at 09:25 PM.

Tricking people who are in vulnerable positions is something I'd consider hurting somebody. Just think of what happens when this person finds out that he/she was tricked? They'll probably feel even more sad than they did before. No, it's better to learn to cope it sadness the hard way.
    I don't think you understand.
    People don't value outcomes/means the same way. Some people would rather be fooled, and live happily. They will always quantify their benefit from that psychic experience as a positive value. Dealing with it by coping with sadness to them is a negative value. The logical thing for them to do is to go to a psychic.

So while you may value being fooled as a negative thing, that is STRICTLY limited to YOU. If you can't conceive the idea that others value different routes differently, i'd suggest you learn a thing or two about empathy.

I felt you overlooked my point is what i ment by that.

As i said it gives people a peace of mind. Do what makes you feel good and happy as long as you don't break laws or hurt others i don't care.
    Tricking people who are vulnerable is what I'd consider hurting somebody. Just think of what that person will feel like when they found out they were tricked. It's better to learn to deal with sadness in other ways that does not invite people to con you.

---------- Post added 2012-10-01 at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skullslasher View Post
    I don't think you understand.
    People don't value outcomes/means the same way. Some people would rather be fooled, and live happily. They will always quantify their benefit from that psychic experience as a positive value. Dealing with it by coping with sadness to them is a negative value. The logical thing for them to do is to go to a psychic.

So while you may value being fooled as a negative thing, that is STRICTLY limited to YOU. If you can't conceive the idea that others value different routes differently, i'd suggest you learn a thing or two about empathy.
    Yes, truth is important to me. I care very much about it. Only bad decisions can come from believing in fantasies, so I think it's important that we all stick to what's actually true.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance