Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is mistweaver healing at higher lvls

i love healing classes and was lvling up two alts to have a healing alt for MoP. i cant decide between a shaman or monk. My monk is only 30 lol so i know its not a good time to be judging a class. but my resto shaman is 47 and is really easy to heal with and fun to play as resto. I like how water is like the healing element. the monk is fun as well.Monks have a cool thing too with the mists are healing. But i noticed to do a good amount of healing at low lvls you either channel Soothing mists or get in melee range and do some dps/healing at same time.

so my question is do they become more of a pure healer at higher lvls or lets say if im doing a heroic dungeon at 90 or a raid will i still be doing dps and healing at the same time.

i know that maybe not a lot of people have monks at 90 yet but how about at lvl 70,80?

thanks in advance

15+ Year Old Account
    After like 81 or so, it stops being as ROFLstomp easy. Fistweaving takes a little bit to get warmed up, so you might need to mix in early heals at the start of a pull if things go awry. Anyway, I haven't gotten too much Mistweaving practice in since 84. I've only done the Mists dungeons once each and as tank, unfortunately. I'll hopefully have some more experience in a few days after I ding 90.

I've only done about 6 or so heroics, but the healing seems to be pretty good. The only thing I have a hard time with is when 2 people are taking large amounts of burst damage. (dps tanking while tank is tanking too much damage) I'm sure the healing will get easier with gear, but for now I tend to just save up my mana tea stacks during trash and then use them all up during the boss fight, which gives me more mana than most healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been running heroics for the last 3-4 days as a Mistweaver and it is a lot of fun. Your first few dungeons will be very hectic and you will probably be OoM every other pull but stick with it. Now that I am almost all heroic geared I can do an entire run without drinking other than before bosses to top off. Use of eminence (melee) healing will really help you for the day to day damage while keeping renewing mist up on the entire party. Uplift for AoE before doing SCK (very mana inefficient).

Enjoy it, healing is a blast on a monk.
    Check out my blog about my monk at www.zenpilgrimage.com. Mistfit of OVERCLOCKED, [US] Proudmoore

It's alot of fun, but takes a little while to get used to it if you leveled Windwalker/Brew like most people. Is SCK still really mana inefficient when coupled with Rushing Jade Wind?

As everything else it will take time to get used to.

Once you get used to it, it really is alot of fun. Personally for me it's the most fun i've had as a healer.

wow thanks for all the responses. ive been lvling him as brewmaster/mistweaver and the tanking is an absolute blast. but the main reason i made him was for healing at end game and it seems like you guys say its good so ill take your word for it . i guees once i get more healing spells itll be funner in the early lvls. maybe il lvl both my shammy and monk to about 60 and see which one i prefer

10+ Year Old Account
    Early monk healing is much different from endgame. You just have more options in how to heal and cooldowns for the "oh no" moments
    Check out my blog about my monk at www.zenpilgrimage.com. Mistfit of OVERCLOCKED, [US] Proudmoore

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Monk is one of the more entertaining healing classes, and ive played them all, it's very fun to be able to switch healing style between Ranged and Melee healing, depending on situation.

It take some time to get used to, and especially the fact that you do not have much direct heals, most of them are healing over time, so you need to think a few steps ahead when and who you are using your Chi on

Deleted
    Once you get a bit geared, it is fun and not so hard.. And as concerning damage/healing - on most HC 5man bosses, i do not need to heal at all, just throw Renewing, pop Xuen and roflstomp 30k dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Just great, been having no problems what so ever healing every heroic avalible, I never go oom nor is it hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    So I have a question. I understand that MW requires you to be in the thick of it, doing damage and whatnot. I really enjoy that concept. But do you change stances at all? Heal in the healing, DPS in the DPS? I know the healing one gives quite a large bonus to melee fighting, but with everything now costing mana, I can see going OOM almost immediately being an issue.

I RaF'd my monk to 80.99 (now 81), got gear for MW/BM, ran a few instances as both, and never got the hang of MW. Loving BM though. I guess I'm just not up to speed on how MW is supposed to function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    So I have a question. I understand that MW requires you to be in the thick of it, doing damage and whatnot. I really enjoy that concept. But do you change stances at all? Heal in the healing, DPS in the DPS? I know the healing one gives quite a large bonus to melee fighting, but with everything now costing mana, I can see going OOM almost immediately being an issue.

I RaF'd my monk to 80.99 (now 81), got gear for MW/BM, ran a few instances as both, and never got the hang of MW. Loving BM though. I guess I'm just not up to speed on how MW is supposed to function.
    im not to sure cause im not that high lvl yet but i would say to stay in your healing stance. because when you dps in the healing stance its also heals

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrael View Post
    Once you get a bit geared, it is fun and not so hard.. And as concerning damage/healing - on most HC 5man bosses, i do not need to heal at all, just throw Renewing, pop Xuen and roflstomp 30k dps
    Oh? Does Xuen really add that much DPS? I normally do around 8-15k DPS on bosses without Quen.

I'm using the Chi Torpedo myself (which is awesome, FYI). We accidentally pulled the first boss in Scholo while doing a huge AoE pack where I blew all my mana helping with the damage thinking I'd get to drink before the boss... Boss got pulled with me at 5% mana and 2 DPS dead due to the ice-wall spawning on them on the pull. We 3 manned the boss with me healing with auto-attacks and Chi Torpedo (which costs no mana) and using my little-to-no-mana keeping RM rolling. Thank god for Mana Tea.

One of the dead DPS then asked me how the hell did I just heal that with no mana, heh. Gotta love Chi Torpedo :P

OT: Mist/Fistweaving is really fun and very different compared to any other healing-spec. Only time I have SOME troubles is when I get a stupid group and a squishy tank in Shado-Pan Monastery and we get to the last few packs before Taran Zhu... Daymn those things destroy tanks and stupid DPS.

Grouphealing is awesome, Tank healing is mediocore at best. All in all it's very fun.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2012-10-02 at 06:49 AM.

I healed very quite a bit and it was really easy with just soothing mists and later spinning crane kick. Mana issues cropped up as I went, but mana tea removed alot of them. I've been thinking about the mana tea glyph and I don't know if it is ideal. Being able to save your tea, like one poster suggested on trash is kinda great.

I am only 89 at the moment, but the normals don't seem too hateful. The higher dungeons were more challenging than early on but truthfully even on normals, I can spinning crane kick most packs down. Some of the boss fights are semi challenging, but truthfully alot well depends on your group. I think if you cant train your group to walk over healing spheres, your job becomes alot easier. Even with the random gear I've picked up, it seems like the spheres are key to a really smooth run or a really rough one.
    Last edited by Hanyuu; 2012-10-02 at 08:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you guys feel about the mana tea glyph? Lets you consume 2 stacks instantly, but adds a 10s cd.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I am either noob or it just does not fit my healing style (though I think I am pretty good hardcore healer ).
    When I like the idea of channeling healing, I really struggle with overall monk healing concept, where you have to not only do your regular heals, but also crawl in melee doing your kung fu moves.
    I have sort of feeling that monk healing has somewhat random element in healing. For example, 5 people are taking AoE damage but you can instantly heal only 4 considering 8 sec cooldown on the mist. Soothing is RNG too. It may overload you with chi, and may give you literally none for whole duration of channeling.

I don't know, when I started doing higher level dungeons, it became pretty challanging to heal. For example, that snowwy dungeon. I had people dying sometime here and there in situations, where if I had standard Greater Heal it would be like a walk in a park.

On other hand, pvp was a blast. No other healer comes any close to monk. I am pretty sure at 90 mistweaver monks in pvp are tough beasts with all those instant heals and roflstomp enveloping mist. At this point I am not sure if I want to continue with the monk or switch back to priest.

Quote Originally Posted by theunit187 View Post
    I really struggle with overall monk healing concept, where you have to not only do your regular heals, but also crawl in melee doing your kung fu moves.
    You don't have to be a melee/caster hybrid healer, it's optional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    Oh? Does Xuen really add that much DPS? I normally do around 8-15k DPS on bosses without Quen.
    Yep. On most bosses, my healing is like 45% Eminence, 40% Eminence (Statue) and 15% ReM.

Also, I find Xuen as another throuhput CD, which we are really short of I was shaman before, and it is kinda hard to get used to monk with no Healing tide, spirit link, elemental mastery,4pcT13 spiritwalkers grace..

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You don't have to be a melee/caster hybrid healer, it's optional.
    Are you sure a monk is able to heal effictively without healing from melee hits, including autoattack that is duplicated by the statue?