Now that Shadow Word: Death gives Shadow Orbs

Would it be better to use SW: D after the 6 second ICD is up so you generate an orb every time?

Unless I've missed something obvious, it would be which playstyle gives more DPS;

2x Shadow Word: Death and 1x Shadow Orb every 10 seconds
    or
    1x Shadow Word: Death and 2x Shadow Orbs every 12 seconds

I'm not too good with things like this, just wondered what someone better prepared to deal with the maths would think.
    Just an idea

SW: D is only usable on mobs below 20% health.

The glyph of SW: D removes this point of the spell but SW: D no longer generates Shadow Orbs

AND: only the first hit of SW: D generates a shadow orb.
    Noxcrunor (Shadowpriest)
    Hey, let´s be serious, because this is a serious topic ... apart of how we deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Noxcrunor View Post

The glyph of SW: D removes this point of the spell but SW: D no longer generates Shadow Orbs

You didnt understand his question.

And the difference between 1 swd and 1/3rd of devouring plague is negligible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxcrunor View Post

You dont get his point tho.
    SW: D generates a orb every 6sec, when the spell itself is on 8sec CD, unless your target dies, ofc.

no one got his point.

SW generates the orb on the first usage before the instant reset. The question is, if you wait for the duration of the real cooldown you end up having the second shadow orb a gcd earlier or so.

yet, my answer is, unless it is a very large health pool boss, it is a dps decrease to wait for the cooldown to get the second orb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    no one got his point.
    It seems you somehow dont understand my post, its 1 simple line with a direct answer..

I would think it all depends on the situation. If you've got to move, double tap the SWD. If you've got procs waiting, wait for the internal. I feel like my dps has been the same in either situation though.

Since the difference between the cooldown and a proc based SWD is only 2 secs i would think the time window in which you can let SWD take advantage of that extra orb is rather tight, calculate into this various lag enhancing annoyances and other crap and you could end up hitting SWD just a bit too soon resulting in still triggering that cooldown which then results in 14 secs of no orb generation through SWD.

Just my two cents

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a dps increase to cast SW:D once every 6 or 7 seconds. Any more delay, and you lose dps very quickly.
    {[( )]}

Thanks for the replies.
    Seems like this would be difficult to do with FDCL/DI 'cus so many procs

I'll wait until I use Mindebender and Twist of Fate to try it