Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Depends a little. If it is a car for luxury/familycar or something like that, it is nice to have an automatic. Some brands have pretty crappy automatics though so I would prefer a stick in those as well.

But if friends of mine would have bought a brand new fast car and acting all high and mighty about it, but then say it is an automatic, I would find it a little funny. I am from the EU and everybody I know has learned to drive in a car with a stick.
    I mean, you can drive stick, stick is faster (in theory but if you suck at driving it isn't), stick is more fun in a fast car, it gives you more control over your car and is probably cheaper.
    Especially when you are all high and mighty and noting every small detail of the car and then tell me it is an automatic. In part it is also image of course. But that is important with cars or else we would all be driving very sensible toyota aygo's hybrids or something like that right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    I'm truly baffled by this. There's a cult of manual transmission in your neighborhood, and it's a shame and a sign of low intelligence to not be an acolyte?
    I laughed so hard at this for no real reason.

I don't own a car myself, so I've actually learned a lot in this thread though.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    I don't understand why are these cars considered so bad and especially the driver. Whenever I mention about automatic cars everyone says they're for retards that cant handle manual transmission (quote from 60% of the people I asked). I know a few guys who gave up on highschool and drive a manual car, but can't do basic maths or even spell properly in their own language. I don't think that being able to change gears has anything to do with one's intelligence.

I really don't understand why they are considered such a shame among drivers. And no, I drive a manual car in case you wondered. A friend gave me a lift today with his automatic and I really liked it. Maybe you can enlighten me.
    While I don't see anything to be ashamed about in having a preference for driving an automatic, the inability to drive a manual car is in my opinion a bit of an embarrassment.

It's one of those basic things that really anyone should learn - like riding a bicycle, swimming, lighting a match. Often people avoid learning these basic skills because they are lazy.

To use a WoW analogy - being unable to drive a manual car is a bit like being unable to use your mouse to turn :P

I'd love to drive a stick, but it isn't always in alignment with my other needs.

I also remember hearing about a study or poll that showed something like 70%? (a big majority, whatever the figure was) of people feel like the car they have does not represent their personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'd love to drive a stick, but it isn't always in alignment with my other needs.

I also remember hearing about a study or poll that showed something like 70%? (a big majority, whatever the figure was) of people feel like the car they have does not represent their personality.
    Bold part: Yeah. Driving a stick in heavy traffic can be a pain in the...

But now you have me thinking. What does my car say about my personality, assuming it does represent me... hmm. I'm boring, I guess?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Automatic cars are the best man! lets say in the rush traffic when you drive 1 meter before u stop for 5 minutes and goes on like that for an hour. Love automatic and will never buy anything else!

My wife and I both Drive Manuals (2012 Golf R and 2013 Jetta Sportwagen). Mine is because its fun, hers is for the gas mileage advantage. Nothing wrong with automatics, they are boring and less precise but they work and if you don't care about gas mileage or fun then they are perfect for you.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Bold part: Yeah. Driving a stick in heavy traffic can be a pain in the...

But now you have me thinking. What does my car say about my personality, assuming it does represent me... hmm. I'm boring, I guess?
    Not only that, but if you find a great deal on a car you like, but it's automatic....

But my car, with it's stock rims and economy classification, really jives well with the boring working man I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The clutch pedal is the fun part of a manual transmission though. Using a tiptronic system is like eating an Oreo cookie without the white stuff. You're totally missing the best part.
    to each his own i guess...i don't see how adding a pedal to the sequence makes it more fun...it's like saying that a double stuff oreo cookie tastes better than regular oreo cookie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    I don't understand why are these cars considered so bad and especially the driver. Whenever I mention about automatic cars everyone says they're for retards that cant handle manual transmission..
    I didn't know people still acted like this. At least not since 1982...
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I don't see anything to be ashamed about in having a preference for driving an automatic, the inability to drive a manual car is in my opinion a bit of an embarrassment.

It's one of those basic things that really anyone should learn - like riding a bicycle, swimming, lighting a match. Often people avoid learning these basic skills because they are lazy.

To use a WoW analogy - being unable to drive a manual car is a bit like being unable to use your mouse to turn :P
    Not always the case. i didn't have access to a standard until i was well into college. It wasn't lazy that kept me from learning a stick, but simply lack of resources. I do agree, though, that it should still be an integral part of drivers ed since there are still plenty of standards out there.

For the record. my car is standard. Couldn't give two shits one way or the other.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runzlikegirl View Post
    My wife and I both Drive Manuals (2012 Golf R and 2013 Jetta Sportwagen). Mine is because its fun, hers is for the gas mileage advantage. Nothing wrong with automatics, they are boring and less precise but they work and if you don't care about gas mileage or fun then they are perfect for you.
    See, typical fucking attitude from a "car" person. I find it fitting he owns two brand new VWs.

So if I go out and buy a new Altima w/ a CVT tranny and get 35 mpg, it isn't because I care about fuel mileage, right?

I'd argue the vast majority of drivers these days do care about fuel mileage, but see stick shift as a hinderance, especially in high-volume traffic conditions. In fact, one could argue it is more fun to drive an automatic as you don't have to be preoccupied w/ making proper gear shifts. Granted, anyone experienced with a manual transmission does all that without much thought...but if you had to do it in stop-and-go situations 5 days per week, it could wear on even the best of enthusiasts.

Also, if you don't drive like an asshole, you can get almost-as-good-mileage with an automatic. Typically those that drive stick are just better drivers in general and understand how to make a car work as economically as possible. The only condition where a manual far exceeds its counterpart is extended highway driving where you can drop it into that final gear and let it purr. However, the latest and greatest automatics are getting close. The only 100% clear advantage is saving on brakes. Good stick drivers will get many more miles out of their pads and rotors than a typical automatic driver. I drive with the intent to use my brakes as little as possible for both the replacement cost of the brakes and the inherent increase in fuel mileage.

Side note: gas would be 30% cheaper if everyone focused on driving in the most fuel-efficient way possible. You wouldn't believe the people that will literally leave their lane, go out and around someone 200 yds from a red light, and then brake immediately after. If people would just look more than 100ft in front of them and think about how maximize gas mileage............/end rant.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2012-10-02 at 04:49 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Where I live most people drive automatics, its simpler and its been proven that when you multitask you do more poorly than on focusing on one task.(Thats not to say you'll do bad, just not as good as focusing on one thing.)

My brother and his buddies are huge car/truck/tractor guys and all of them drive automatic trucks. My bro even has a racing/pulling truck which is auto as well. The only thing they do drive manually are tractors, which they use some for farming and for competing in tractor pulls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    I'm truly baffled by this. There's a cult of manual transmission in your neighborhood, and it's a shame and a sign of low intelligence to not be an acolyte?

There are advantages to both. I think driving a manual is more fun because you have more control and active inputs, I used to go driving around country roads in my rx-7 for fun. There are certain mechanical advantages to not having your drive go through an automatic gearbox. But there are advantages to automatic too, as there are advantages to automation of a zillion other things. I think manuals are kind of dying out, it's good to know how to drive one but it's also good to not have to (though, I don't think being able to shift while eating/drinking is a responsible argument).

Anyone who thinks that the transmission type of your vehicle is an important personal characteristic (or believes that carries significant predictive power) has questionable priorities, in my book.

Not only in my neighborhood. Even on my real id friend list I talked with some friends and 90% of them are sworn enemies to automatic cars.

if i want to do some fun driving, or if i need more control (icy roads and such) i prefer a stick. a stick really sucks in stop and go traffic though. but all of that can be chalked up to personal preference imo

Manual is more fun & engaging, revving up and changing gears can be fun, especially on the more powerful cars.

Automatic is more convenient & easy, just gas & brake and the occasional stick shift for reverse.

I drive automatic and I'm not ashamed by it. I'm also suffering from a disability, so driving an automatic makes things a lot of easier for me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

While piloting several tons of steel down a concrete slab at 60+ MPH, I'm particularly glad that I don't need to worry about doing elaborate dance routines just to change the speed of the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Where I live most people drive automatics, its simpler and its been proven that when you multitask you do more poorly than on focusing on one task.(Thats not to say you'll do bad, just not as good as focusing on one thing.).
    Driving a stick becomes something you hardly think about. With that argument you could also say that an automatic makes you less involved in driving which is what you should be paying attention to.

Deleted
    I prefer my manual because I find it more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Driving a stick becomes something you hardly think about.
    Yeah, I actually get confused when I try to drive an automatic, being so used to my stick. I'll usually start out with my left foot trying to use the brake like a clutch... that doesn't work.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.