Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I name my chars based on mix of letters or the start of things like .. mage human white arcane would be like Mahuwhar.

Or based on movies.

Or animes.

Or food.

If someone dares saying something .. their names is surely 100 times worse than mine .. because lets face the fact that only people with serious self-esteem problem would judge others by their name only or insult them because of their name .

All you gotta do is pity them .

10+ Year Old Account
    My main was named Gurrenlagann. I only remember one guy hating on it(and he was a total douche to everyone anyway, so it doesn't really matter.) Usually, I'd get whispers about how awesome it was instead.

Some names are overused but I see nothing wrong with stealing a name from an anime.

I named my female belf monk Shinobu, after all.

Deleted
    I refer to myself in the third person as XxsephirothXxX in real life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood
    Trololol poop.
    Hey, what a lovely PM I got

There is several reasons for this.

An avatar name is chosen, so it's supposed to either be pleasant, fun or symbolic for the creator.
    As such, the choice you make reflect on what you like or think - it's not neutral. People will consider your tastes accordingly (and, to be honest, it's pretty accurate). If you name your character something vulgar and crass, they will infer that you're immature or stupid. If you make a clever/subtle play of word, they will think you as smarter/tongue-in-cheek. Etc.

From there, some points tends to stick out and irritate people from the get-go :
    1 - Naming your character after a popular fictionnal one, tends to make you look like unimaginative. The most common the inspiration, the worse it is. Naming your elf hunter Beleg is not going to raise a lot of brows. Naming him Legolas is going to make look like a braindead copycat.
    2 - Naming your character after a kid's show, tends to make you look like a kid.
    3 - Naming your character in a stupid ways tends to make you look like an idiot, unless they are purposedly idiotic, in which case it would look like fun.

"Naruto" actually checks the two first point. "Narutoninja" somehow checks the third one.

Also, there is the misconception that anime is only for kids, and the negative connotation it has in some circles because some people either know only the crappy ones (if someone only ever saw Pokemon and Yugi-oh, no wonder he's going to think that animes are crap), or simply highly dislikes the main themes you find in most anime (japanese culture emphasize some aspects that some people may resent). This often creates the second point even if it's not the case).

And finally, there is the fact that, save for the bizarre Blademasters in Warcraft III (that actually just felt completely out of place in their style) and until MoP, there was no place for chinese/japanese names in the world of warcraft. It just clashed with the settings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narutoninja View Post
    Hey, what a lovely PM I got
    Lies, lies and slander!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I think the problem is not the Anime names per se. More the hate for the bad animes you watch. Naruto is just bad and you will get hate for it.
    He's totally right. And animes such as Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are not "true animes". In my opinion they're just so bad, it's only fan service and the main target of thoses animes are teenagers between 12 and 16.

However, if your name is directly coming from a good anime (let's say Clannad or even Code Geass) that the only people who know it are the one who got real interests in animes (and not only watch what's swaggy), I'm pretty sure you won't get any trouble.
    Last edited by mmoc862fbb18e1; 2012-10-02 at 04:15 PM.

I always judge people based on how stupid their name is. But since I have never watched anime I probably wouldn't think less of you. You should simply retaliate and shame the person looking down upon you for knowing what your name meant in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarebusta View Post
    I always judge people based on how stupid their name is. But since I have never watched anime I probably wouldn't think less of you. You should simply retaliate and shame the person looking down upon you for knowing what your name meant in the first place.
    Snarebusta

Nuff said.

Judging by names is done only by losers .

10+ Year Old Account
    My old guild was top 5 horde on my server, Name : THE ESPADAS.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    while i dont partake of anime names, i do prefer to see anime names than "stabzugewd", "legolaslol", "arenaQT", "LÉëróÿ" and other such names

altho i dont find anime names particularly original...
    Last edited by Jawless Jones; 2012-10-02 at 04:31 PM.

I'm fine with whatever name people have, anime or not....

Unless they use an anime on an rp server and rp with that name. In that case you are a bad person and should feel bad ...and I will find you in-game, and I will kill you :P
    cheers

There are good anime names. Then there are bad anime names. And then there is Narutoninja.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are naming your characters off of some relatively unknown book/movie/tv I don't care. Sometimes its fun to learn where peoples names come from. But when I see crap like narutoninja it makes me roll my eyes hard core and occasionally report them in game(on forums I could care less, go wild).

Be a little creative. Hit a couple letters and see if you like the sound of it. Look up an obscure word that means the same thing as the simple word you want your characters name to reference.

Make a variation of another one of your character's names or maybe even an anagram.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    If you are naming your characters off of some relatively unknown book/movie/tv I don't care. Sometimes its fun to learn where peoples names come from. But when I see crap like narutoninja it makes me roll my eyes hard core and occasionally report them in game(on forums I could care less, go wild).

Be a little creative. Hit a couple letters and see if you like the sound of it. Look up an obscure word that means the same thing as the simple word you want your characters name to reference.

Make a variation of another one of your character's names or maybe even an anagram.
    Its not up to you or anyone else to decide what kind of creativity someone should have when chosing a name nor that should define how bad or well you judge that someone.

Gosh these people .. .

Deleted
    There was a time when most kids knew practically nothing of anime, and you had to be really into it to know what the hell it even was. This was way before shit like Dragonball or Naruto became mainstream in the 2000s. Back then it was sort of cool if you knew some great anime, even though not everyone liked them. Usually back then anime went hand in hand with manga, and people who loved anime usually had those series as manga first. Tweens and early teens weren't even that much into it in the western world, not in general.

Then suddenly anime became mainstream, and everyone from the age one up was watching some crap like Dragonball or Naruto, or even Pokemon. Basically something that had been a fringe thing appreciated by nerds and outcasts in their late teens and early twenties became a mainstream kids' thing. There were weeaboos everywhere.

I'm guessing that's why people, especially those who name themselves "Narutoninja", are being looked down upon.

I personally was never that big into anime, or manga. I have a few friends who were back in the early 90's and still are. My own experience is limited to having read the Akira graphic novels and watched the Akira movie and having watched some stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Blood: the Last Vampire (anime, not live action), Urotsukidōji and stuff like that.

I do know GB and Naruto especially are way way too childish for me to like, but hey to each their own. I for one wouldn't mock anyone for liking them, but I might mock someone for choosing a ridiculous name because of those series.

Deleted
    My priest is called Kotomine.
    Only positive comments received so far.
    Name it after something good, and people won't ridicule your for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Its not up to you or anyone else to decide what kind of creativity someone should have when chosing a name nor that should define how bad or well you judge that someone.

Gosh these people .. .
    You're right its up to the Terms of Use that everyone agreed to when they began playing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by WoW Naming Policy
    Real World References
    This category includes names which:

Consist of any references to the real world, including people and places (Britneyspears, Newyork, Austinpowers)
    SOURCE

Plus this is a topic on a forum discussing naming of characters in WoW. I am just as much allowed to give my opinion on something as you are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    No it isn't but if you name your Character something like Narutoninja (which isn't even a name) then its up to others to decide if they want to put up with your unoriginal name and call you Narutoninja on vent. Anime names or names of already existing fictional characters are fine as long as they fit and don't mutate into Crap lixe xxGimlixx or Nârútò and for the love of god, please, if you name your character Daenerys Targaryen and choose black hair and red eyes you deserve to be hated...