Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Anime names hate in WoW

I play with anime names. I am often made fun of and other players look at me as inferior. Some say that they think I am a little kid, but some of them even after they know my age - late 20s. Which seems pretty nonsense to me - what anime is not MANLY enough for a video game or what?
    Why people pay attention to something of such little significance as your name? Isn't judging people based on their name as worse as doing so based on skin color or sexual orientation?
    I think people should be allowed to express themselves freely without being judged.

Deleted
    WTF kind of name is 'Narutoninja'?

Personally i don't watch anime escept for dragonball z, wich i really do think is funny, aside from that, some of the things that happen in an anime i just consider too silly for me, but thats just my point of view. if you are considered to be childish, please remember that people who view others as childish are often younger with a desire to be grown up, and as such will shun things they consider childish.

to further that notion, my favorite quote of all time is from C.S. Lewis, altough i never read any of his work, but the quote is "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

so there you have it, even if it is truly childish ( and i'm not saying it is), you are no less for doing so

edit, i just realized the chronicles of narnia come from lewis, and i read the first and second book of that series.
    Last edited by Shaoshi; 2012-10-03 at 05:48 AM.

I think it's because there are two kinds of people who have anime (or just stupid names in general):

1) The really good players, who I guess use dumb names to troll. I know I've seen a lot of top players with ridiculous names that make them sound like total bads, but they're amazingly good.
    2) Completely worthless baddies, like the scrubbiest of the scrubs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    Lol, i was wondering too.
    OT in WoW anime names imo don't really fit, but games such as aion or tera they do.. and a lot of people have them there!
    But it doesent really bother me, most of the nice ones are taken anyway

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    To be fair, your name too... (and mine, if anyone actually knows what it means)

Deleted
    sn't judging people based on their name as worse as doing so based on skin color or sexual orientation?
    No way in hell is it as bad. Those are things people are born with not choices they make. As far as anime names? It shows un-originality.

Do you know how many legolas variants there are amoung hunters? Or Drizzt amoung rogues? or undeadkillarouge's? Now we are flooded with martial art ripped names.

When you make your character your name defines your character within game. I don't just mean if you're RPing but in all aspects your name will be remembered for deeds good or bad but being Narutoninja no 27 outta 9999... "just another unoriginal fan boy"

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    I think it's because there are two kinds of people who have anime (or just stupid names in general):

1) The really good players, who I guess use dumb names to troll. I know I've seen a lot of top players with ridiculous names that make them sound like total bads, but they're amazingly good.
    2) Completely worthless baddies, like the scrubbiest of the scrubs.
    Or

3) Someone who just wants to have fun with creating their character that they are going to spend a lot of time on that doesn't fit any specific stereotype that "baddies" or "elitists" will try to pin on them.

Yeah, perhaps it's the same reason they bitch about anything anymore in the game: they love making others miserable, however that's supposed to give them joy.
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

10+ Year Old Account
    a) I named my monk Watari and I love it
    b) why the fuck do you care what people say on the internet?

I named my hunter Kiba, and her pet wolf is named Akamaru. Yes, my hunter is a female named Kiba, but it's ok because she is an Orc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaoshi View Post
    to further that notion, my favorite quote of all time is from C.S. Lewis, altough i never read any of his work, but the quote is "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
    What a great quote. I'll be sure to remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkpower View Post
    Or

3) Someone who just wants to have fun with creating their character that they are going to spend a lot of time on that doesn't fit any specific stereotype that "baddies" or "elitists" will try to pin on them.
    Guess I am the 3rd kind then.

Names can be an area of self expression for some but it's also one of the first things people notice about your character before they talk to you. What kind of gear do they appear to have? What's their name? Do they have a guild? If a player appears to be wearing crappy gear, has a lame name (Xxarthasxx, Legolass) or a name from another franchise (Naruto, Ryo, etc), and is guildless, a person is looked on less favorably. First impressions are everything in real life and in game. Anime is something many associate with children although I do think these people would be shocked to find anime is often not for children. Prejudice is something that may never go away. All you can do is live with it and try to avoid being on the receiving end.

Simply put, if you want someone to respect you, think of something original and not stolen from another franchise or even stolen from within WoW. That's plagarism when you think about it. The names may not be copyrighted, but you still took it from elsewhere. Many games often have clauses in their ToS stating what kind of names are not allowed. Celebrity names, etc are often part of that. It shows you lack originality when you can't think of something yourself. Makes people wonder what else you're lacking. Also try to have your character be represented well such as with matching armor and not looking like a clown or a half naked barbarian. Seeing a character half naked makes you wonder if the player is a horny teenage boy, especially if the character is female. You won't show up to a job interview half naked ... unless the job requires it. A mismatched clown makes you wonder if the person has no sense of style or is brain damaged.

Put another way: treat your character like you treat yourself. If you want to be respected in real life, what do you do to get respect? Same applies to WoW since ultimately you are dealing with people. All they see is your character. If you want to make a good impression, you have every opportunity to do so by treating the character like it was you and not some random avatar.

Belittling someone because they used a name from Anime is pretty ridiculous, when you consider how few people actually have an original name.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

People will insult you for pretty much any reason imaginable. If you like the name, go for it; so long as it is within Blizzard's ToS then it's absolutely fine.

And hell, I dare anyone to try and tell me Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann isn't the manliest show in the history of ever.

Deleted
    Well, if you are into anime names, MoP is THE expansion for you!

New Pandaren, please take your time to /love Azunyan while you are in your starting area.

While I do have SOME anime names, I'm not ridiculed b/c of them, and if I were, I'd just /ignore the people.

PS: I have a "Kasumi" in my guild, this may or may not be an anime name, it's 10x more pleasing to see than xXIpwnyouXx

I think the problem is not the Anime names per se. More the hate for the bad animes you watch. Naruto is just bad and you will get hate for it.

I name my female human paladin Makimura, because Miki was taken. I haven't had a single problem, mainly because no one has even heard of Devilman.

Quote Originally Posted by Narutoninja View Post
    Isn't judging people based on their name as worse as doing so based on skin color or sexual orientation?
    There's a major difference in this situation. One does not normally choose their skin color or sexual orientation. In WoW, you get to choose your own name. Not just a nickname but the name everyone, everywhere will associate with you. If you choose to name it "Bleachrocks" then you're putting your other subcultures out there to be judged the moment you are visible to anyone else.

This is pretty much the reason I stopped taking my mage (Twilightspkl) into pugs and am none-too-keen on taking her into Pandaria on a gank-heavy PVP server. Nothing says "kill me" like [hated subculture name].
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    I would judge you to based solely on your name. I might not make 'fun' (My character definitely would, though!) of you directly, but it is the first available information for an impression about you as a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's clever or subtle I don't really care, but over the top references to anime bug me. The closest I have ever come is naming my mage Korrakuma (mix of Korra from Avatar the Last Airbender series and ikuma, inuit for fire) and I don't ever get any comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

I wouldn't even recognise something as an anime name as I don't have any interest in anime and don't watch it... I wonder how all these people who find your character names childish recognise an anime name if they find it childish and don't watch it themselves.