Need some help/advice on Haircut, facial-hair style (Women's opinions, preferred!)

So, I've kinda been focusing a lot of self-improvement lately. I've wanted to lose weight for a long time, but since I lost my dog last week, I've felt a lot more driven for some reason, and less distracted by video-games.

Well, I've still got a long ways to go, but I'm steadily making progress. In fact, even though I'm still way overweight, I'm feeling a lot more enthusiastic about the future now. For the past five or six months, I basically just got super down on myself, and having even bothered to get a haircut. Also, I've grown a pretty thick beard (though I still care enough to trim it down from getting scraggly, lol). Well, it's actually gotten to a length that gives me quite a lot of options; I've always worn short hair in the past (even shaved my head bald, once), but it's long enough now that I could try it long, too.

Now, obviously it would be a lot easier to get advice if I had a picture, but honestly, I just don't have a means to get a picture up. That's really fine either way, though; I'm still a long ways from my goal, and I'm just looking at what will be a good look for when I *do* get in-shape. I'm about 5'10 tall, really muscular frame, with red-hair and fairly light skin (and freckles, though not really on my face), and I wear glasses. In terms of body-type, once I drop weight, I'll probably be something a little closer to a less-chiseled Vin Diesel (really broad shoulders and muscular chest, though maybe a bit shorter). Right now, though, I'd probably be a little more comparable to Jack Black :P

Personally, even though long-hair absolutely annoys the hell out of me, I'm leaning towards something mid-to-long length for a haircut; maybe something like this:

http://celebritieshype.com/wp-conten...i-hot-pose.jpg

...but maybe coupled with a short beard? Or will that look too "grunge-y"? Keeping in mind, I'm 24 years-old, I want something that people will be able to take me seriously, but honestly, I'm more focused on just trying to look good. Yeah, I know that's really shallow, but since I've pretty much always been overweight since I was about 15 or 16, becoming attractive to women is really my biggest motivation (surprisingly, even when I got up to just over 300 lbs last year, I was actually in quite good shape, with really good blood-pressure; weird, that).

Anyways, I know this is probably too long a post over something so simple and stupid, but... well, it helps keep me motivated, I guess!

---------- Post added 2012-10-02 at 06:17 PM ----------

EDIT: Or for that matter, should I just go with something short? The only issue I have there is my eyebrows are really light, and the longer hair-style kind of masks that a bit. Still, like I say, I'm complete open to suggestions! :P

If you want to be taken seriously, don't get a teenager's haircut in your mid-20s. A few inches on top allows for a lot of versatility, meaning you can style it one way for work and any number of ways for socializing, dating or whatever else you might do. Too much and the hair becomes the focus.

Also, without pics it's difficult to do much more than generalize.

Deleted
    300 lbs, ginger, glasses...dude you make this too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    ...5'10 tall... ...with red-hair and fairly light skin... ....and freckles.... ...I wear glasses... ...comparable to Jack Black... ....I'm leaning towards something mid-to-long length for a haircut... ...I'm 24 years-old... ...take me seriously...
    Ouch, 'tis a tough palette to work with.

Last thing I'd do if I were you was go with a douchebag teenager medium/long length haircut.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grow a red affro.

Also, sorry about yer doggy :/

Elysia's epic sig skillz

Yeah, I definitely got the shaft in terms of appearance. What makes it really bad is that most of my family really shows our Native-American heritage, in that they all have really tan skin, dark hair and eyes, and just supermodel-like looks. And trust me, they weren't afraid to point that out.

Still, I'm trying to be optimistic, and I'm continuing to lose weight. I figure, gotta make the best out of what you got, even if I'll always be kind of goofy-looking :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Good for you man, seriously. Also don't listen to em. Red hair is awesome on men or women, imo. I like red hair.
    It's a bit hard to judge without pics, but long hair and beards on men are GOOD. Yeah. I'm probably not being very helpful at all.
    That's the problem with asking opinions though - some ladies will be all "Long hair and a beard, YAY!" while others will say "Ew, get a shave and a haircut man!"
    So in short - just go with what YOU like. You'll get more attention if you're comfortable and confident in the way you look - matters WAY more than any haircut.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

if you can afford it, start racing. It is much better training than you might think, trust me! I've always been in the top 5 in cardio and had a bit over average strenght in my classes in school, and i've almost only done racing. Racing is so much more fun than other sports imo, challenges both mind and body.

Be happy that you atleast can change your problem. I have the looks and i've got some chicks on the hook through the years(have one right now actually), but i have this problem where i think it is ''awkward'' and ''shameful'' when i bring girls home so i don't do it, ofcourse i have regret of doing that because my familiy thinks I don't have too many friends because i just don't feel comfortable having them around my friends.

I regret everything i do regarding this matter, whatever i chooses i feel awkward and i can't do nothing about it either, since it is in my brain. Go out and excersise mate!

How can one not get a picture up in this day and age?
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Eh, I don't have a camera, and don't have a phone at the moment. As well, I never really took pictures even when I did, so I don't have any saved anywhere.

not everyone can pull off a beard, but a clean shave & a few inches on top cant go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    not everyone can pull off a beard, but a clean shave & a few inches on top cant go wrong.
    I dunno; I've never really felt like I looked quite right clean-shaven. I think it makes me look paler, or something. As for short-hair, though... hmm, maybe. Just go with a basic "Ceaser", or is there something a little more stylish I might ought to go for?

I dunno; I've never really felt like I looked quite right clean-shaven. I think it makes me look paler, or something. As for short-hair, though... hmm, maybe. Just go with a basic "Ceaser", or is there something a little more stylish I might ought to go for?
    well different hairstyles suit different people. i would reccomend going to a decent barber & ask them for help. they should be able to help you find the right style.

Deleted
    Keeping in mind, I'm 24 years-old, I want something that people will be able to take me seriously
    Why not decide yourself? How are people going to take you seriously when you can't even make your own decisions?

Also, it depends which country you're living in. A hairstyle that might be popular in one country might be looked down upon in another.
    It's not like we can give general advice that something is good. Everyone has their own opinion.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    So in short - just go with what YOU like. You'll get more attention if you're comfortable and confident in the way you look - matters WAY more than any haircut.
    This is the best advice you can get, honestly.