Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Because an active exploit could hit tens of thousands of houses at the same time. Imagine a hacker having access to any house they want.
    A serious and expensive lock requires pretty good skills to be picked up, while a bored 16 year old could find an exploit in the code and go rob 50 houses.
    Electronic keys to cars are far more secure than this, and they were found to be hackable.
    Far more secure? You're fucking kidding.

You can hack a car with text messaging. Know what you're talking about before you say something.

Far more secure... pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Far more secure? You're fucking kidding.

You can hack a car with text messaging. Know what you're talking about before you say something.

Far more secure... pfft.
    So you just proved my point.
    The car system is far more secure than what they are suggesting for houses, but it's still easily hackable.

Deleted
    I'll keep my normal lock.

I'll be the one laughing when skynet comes and your doors all turn on you.

Deleted
    What is the new system ?

I will probably get something like this if i ever wish to build/buy a house. Keys are some slippery bastards.
    Last edited by Arlon; 2013-04-10 at 01:01 PM.

That'd be nice. Realistically, I could just leave my apartment unlocked and it's unlikely that anything would change. Anyone that REALLY wanted to get in could easily kick the flimsy door down as it stands.

10+ Year Old Account
    2012-10-06, 09:26 AM Necro?

Deleted
    My flat has no keys already. Just a keypad on the door, and another one of the entrance to the building downstairs. One of my older flats used to have a special fob thing that you just waved infront of a pad on the wall to get into the downstairs area, that was ten years ago too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Pfft, I moved on to an LED-lit keypad with a 4 digit entry code years ago. Who uses keys anymore?

Also, you can lose your phone. The keypad is attached to the door.
    Unless you're changing your code regularly ( which 90% of people don't ), the four keys you use will begin to discolor over time and that's not good.

Deleted
    "Oh shit, my phone's out of batteries again."

Would be way to scared to use such a product.
    Last edited by Sam the Wiser; 2013-04-10 at 02:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velanis View Post
    Unless you're changing your code regularly ( which 90% of people don't ), the four keys you use will begin to discolor over time and that's not good.
    If you enter the incorrect four digit pin three times the door can't be opened at our place without contacting the landlord.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lostprophet12 View Post
    If you enter the incorrect four digit pin three times the door can't be opened at our place without contacting the landlord.
    Better not to try to open the door while being drunk then

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RyokuchaMidori View Post
    Better not to try to open the door while being drunk then
    Being drunk hasn't affected me while doing it during the last three years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necro ahhhhhhh
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

I like having keys - means *if* im mugged for my phone, im not locked out my house.

Plus, skynet.

Plus, I'm an engineer - I know it's weird, but i like physical mechanical things.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Pfft, I moved on to an LED-lit keypad with a 4 digit entry code years ago. Who uses keys anymore?

Also, you can lose your phone. The keypad is attached to the door.
    What if someone steals the door? -gasp-

But yes, I have the 4-digit LED keypad on my front door as well. Before that, if I forgot my keys I used to have to break into the house via the dog door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I prefer the normal lock/key feature. It's cheap and does its job. Call my old-fashioned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What if someone steals the door? -gasp-

But yes, I have the 4-digit LED keypad on my front door as well. Before that, if I forgot my keys I used to have to break into the house via the dog door.
    once, one of my friend forgot his key (it actually happened twice, 2 differents friend, 2 differents climbing action), so I had to do some ninja action, climbing, and walking on roof, it was fun, though if the window had been close it would not have been possible.