Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    as a mist monk who done many 5mans and killed the first 3 bosses in MSV i gotta say in 5mans its almost completely useless, i see more than 20 spheres just floating there at the end of a boss fight. In 10man it sometimes makes it to the top 3 most healing, (at least in the first 3 bosses in MSV) i cant imagine how useful it'll be in 25man.

  2. #22
    Mechagnome Jeffyjimbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The inside world.
    Posts
    697
    Maybe there should be a skill that allows you to consume any active spheres in order to use them as a targeted spell. More active spheres = bigger heals. The downside of course is if you have few spheres out, it's weak, but that also means people are using them.

  3. #23
    Or an ability that combined all healing spheres out into one large healing sphere (Aimed spell) and split healing for whoever it heals. My orbs crit for around 70k, combining 10 on the ground into one big one that split all that healing? Would be really nice and would be interesting to micro that.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    I'm running my heroic dungeons with 3 friends, one tank and two dps so that leaves just one person that doesn't use my spheres.

    People still don't know too much about monks which is why some even try to avoid our healing spheres. I personally want to get more crit but feel mastery is better especially since people can just run about a little bit to get topped up due to the amount of healing spheres laying around.
    But that's the problem.

    If monk healing requires healing spheres... that means it requires people running around to heal, instead of focusing on their job.

    If other healing doesn't require distracting from someone's main role and is as powerful on monk healing that does require it to be at full potential, that either makes monk healing OP if people use the orbs (like lightwell use made lightwell priests potentially OP) OR, even worse, it makes them specifically underpowered since they rely on a mechanic that people don't really feel like using.


    Think of it a different way, what if there was a dps class that threw out orbs that increased dps. Either 100% orb collection is considered, or some lower % is considered. And since it is random/variable you must be either over or underpowering the class to balance a mysterious, inconvenient concept.


    Its underwhelming either way, as was lightwell. They essentially made lightwell another smart heal in response to it, no idea why they took this orb concept from D3 and plopped it in wow. I should say, I know why... but it's not very inspiring.

  5. #25
    Make them mind control people force them to walk over the spheres

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    Or an ability that combined all healing spheres out into one large healing sphere (Aimed spell) and split healing for whoever it heals. My orbs crit for around 70k, combining 10 on the ground into one big one that split all that healing? Would be really nice and would be interesting to micro that.
    well i think even better would be:

    it is the healer's job to heal. it isn't the dps' job to be healed. So orbs should boil down to something the monk does/gathers/collects/gets to increase their healing. In fact, I'll go so far to say that it is lazy game mechanics to create a class/ability/situation which explicitly relies on your recipient's awareness/intentions in order to establish its power.

    It would make sense if there was more control over it's usage (what if you could attach the orbs to players, or grant an orb as a temporary enchant to a player).

    But as it stands, if my choice is to bring a monk and it forces me to play a certain way to make use of the monk, and bringing ANY OTHER HEALER... i'm going to make the easier choice.


    That aside, bring the player not the class has been such a mantra that it has essentially lead them to make poor decisions about classes... but players bring classes. I don't want to bring a monk healer if I have the choice.

    But hey, I love being top dps as a tank these days! Yay!

  7. #27
    Brewmaster Bavol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Night Vale
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyjimbob View Post
    Maybe there should be a skill that allows you to consume any active spheres in order to use them as a targeted spell. More active spheres = bigger heals. The downside of course is if you have few spheres out, it's weak, but that also means people are using them.
    I think that's an interesting idea. Maybe give us like a healing sphere magnet spell. When we use the spell on a target, it draws any healing spheres in X yards to them and they get consumed.

    Or maybe like a death countdown spell! When used on a target, they have to collect X healing spheres in 10 seconds or they instantly die lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    well i think even better would be:

    it is the healer's job to heal. it isn't the dps' job to be healed. So orbs should boil down to something the monk does/gathers/collects/gets to increase their healing. In fact, I'll go so far to say that it is lazy game mechanics to create a class/ability/situation which explicitly relies on your recipient's awareness/intentions in order to establish its power.

    It would make sense if there was more control over it's usage (what if you could attach the orbs to players, or grant an orb as a temporary enchant to a player).

    But as it stands, if my choice is to bring a monk and it forces me to play a certain way to make use of the monk, and bringing ANY OTHER HEALER... i'm going to make the easier choice.


    That aside, bring the player not the class has been such a mantra that it has essentially lead them to make poor decisions about classes... but players bring classes. I don't want to bring a monk healer if I have the choice.

    But hey, I love being top dps as a tank these days! Yay!
    Yeah, disagree. Healing spheres are just health globes in countless other games. Whether I'm a dps or healer, I like having something to go after. If my health is critical, the healers are clearly struggling, I'm not going to stand there and just dps when there's healing spheres around me.

    But I also like Lightwell and dps having healing utility. The black and white, "Dps just dps and healers just heal" is blah.

    To each their own.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2012-10-04 at 06:57 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    well i think even better would be:

    it is the healer's job to heal. it isn't the dps' job to be healed. So orbs should boil down to something the monk does/gathers/collects/gets to increase their healing. In fact, I'll go so far to say that it is lazy game mechanics to create a class/ability/situation which explicitly relies on your recipient's awareness/intentions in order to establish its power.

    It would make sense if there was more control over it's usage (what if you could attach the orbs to players, or grant an orb as a temporary enchant to a player).

    But as it stands, if my choice is to bring a monk and it forces me to play a certain way to make use of the monk, and bringing ANY OTHER HEALER... i'm going to make the easier choice.


    That aside, bring the player not the class has been such a mantra that it has essentially lead them to make poor decisions about classes... but players bring classes. I don't want to bring a monk healer if I have the choice.

    But hey, I love being top dps as a tank these days! Yay!
    There is a reason that you run 5 mans and see 30 of them on the ground after a boss fight and no one dead, because monk healing is great without them. They are added utility. They shine in competitive progression. When someone moves out of fire, if they see an orb nearby, run to it. If a tank is taking heavy damage and he has some orbs around him, shift his position a bit and he'll get some (mana free) healing. Or any group up mechanic in 25 mans the orbs become incredible. They are an excellent utility added to the game.

    If you're not bringing a monk because of healing orbs then you are making a terrible decision.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by shappo View Post
    A good fix would be to have them drift very slowly to low hp players or close players
    Really like this idea!

  10. #30
    The Patient Mistfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A wandering isle in the pacific
    Posts
    266
    I raid 25m and I will say that I am reforging into mastery heavily. Spirit > 1350 haste > Int > Mastery > Crit > Haste over cap. Last night raid (Stone guard kill and feng attempts) gift of the serpent was 15% of my healing overall. These heals are free and procced off heals that I would normally do anyways. In 5m dungeons, yes they are pretty much useless unless the dps and tank know how to use them, but they are very important.
    Check out my blog about my monk at www.zenpilgrimage.com. Mistfit of OVERCLOCKED, [US] Proudmoore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •