Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Healing Spheres - The new Lightwell

So after a multitude of heroics, I can't reforge Mastery off quick enough... although what to reforge it too is the big question. Crit where I can, or Spirit if it's missing.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the concept of Healing Spheres, but I'm actually yet to see anyone use them intentionally! Normally I'm seeing a bunch of bad DPS, getting hit by avoidable damage, running around with half health and 100 spheres scattered about them.

I almost feel MW need more attractive stats. Haste we can soft cap in greens, crit's nice for Eminence, and Mastery is well, as above. Still having a blast, but can't help but rage when I'm forced to heal people through avoidable damage when there's spheres scattered about.

How are the rest of you finding our Mastery?

I think they should make the spheres pulsate with some obvious color to anyone who's under 50% health. Unless they changed it from when I last saw them, they're not exactly attention grabbing, and in times when you're looking around enough that you notice them, running through them does nothing because you're on full health.

I'm running my heroic dungeons with 3 friends, one tank and two dps so that leaves just one person that doesn't use my spheres.

People still don't know too much about monks which is why some even try to avoid our healing spheres. I personally want to get more crit but feel mastery is better especially since people can just run about a little bit to get topped up due to the amount of healing spheres laying around.

I think the ones we manually cast should be bigger and more obvious, and heal for a hell of a lot more. Make them a "when you get low, these are your emergency heals". No cooldown on the cast out of combat, but add an appropriate one in combat so they don't become a lame replacement for the other heals.

As for the mastery, I agree it's very lacking to have a mastery that requires interaction from other players. As much as priests disliked Lightwell, at least it wasn't their mastery. If the mastery is here to stay, maybe they need a bigger range where they activate and heal someone, so people don't need to run over them so much as fight near them. Or better yet, give the Mistweaver an ability that sends them flying to the closest damaged ally. That way they can work normally, but if they are getting ignored the Monk has control on getting them used. Maybe give the ability to send them flying a chi cost and a cooldown, but ANYTHING to give the monk some control to make sure they are used. No class wants a mastery that is potentially useless.

Yea, I don't (well haven't yet) bothered to hard cast any Healing spheres, I seem to always have enough Chi to throw Enveloping on the Tank... which is the person I could think to cast them on. Everyone else just moves around too much.

Having our Mastery increase the duration of Renewing Mist would be awsome however...

In a 5 and 10 man environment crit seems to be better, in 25 however mastery is quite powerful. Something about just throwing so many more people into the mix makes it work.

Quote Originally Posted by ice216 View Post
    In a 5 and 10 man environment crit seems to be better, in 25 however mastery is quite powerful. Something about just throwing so many more people into the mix makes it work.
    Yea bigger chance that someone will run into one by mistake

placement of the spheres is as bad as the people who don't use them. you can't just expect DPS to run away to heal up and it's still a mechanic that makes dps do a healer's job

we saw last expansion how much most healers like doing a dps's job........they didn't

they do need to be more obvious (both the bwm and healing sphere versions) but sometimes dps just can't see it. perfect placement makes a big difference and it's rare to see that done

A good fix would be to have them drift very slowly to low hp players or close players

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    placement of the spheres is as bad as the people who don't use them. you can't just expect DPS to run away to heal up and it's still a mechanic that makes dps do a healer's job

we saw last expansion how much most healers like doing a dps's job........they didn't

they do need to be more obvious (both the bwm and healing sphere versions) but sometimes dps just can't see it. perfect placement makes a big difference and it's rare to see that done
    Well that's just the thing... we're not placing them (most of them anyway) they spawn off our Mastery.

I have sometimes placed some under the Tank, or pre-placed before the pull, but apart from that, it's a mostly unused spell for me, which is shame due to how it's HPM is.

Deleted
    haha, I was about to post almost the same thing today. I didn't because I just saw this thread.

They do look like a horrible mechanic for most 'casual' cases. The more hard core you become the more meaningful they may get but that still might have situations where the use of them might be suboptimal since one has to move and that's a huge no-no for most dpses and sometimes tanking. And also healers.

It's a mechanic that appears to try to go completely out of "numbers and just numbers" but it's probably too much for a game that let's face it, it's 50% don't stand in fire and 50% numbers.

They do require competent group members in heroics to utilize them to their full potential, but they are utterly amazing in stacking mechanics. For 5 mans I would recommend Spirit>Haste to 1350>Crit>Mastery>Haste, because the crit helps in both healing and melee damage and the mastery procs aren't always used by pugs, but for raiding you could make a solid case for either or. My 2 cents.

it's like with lightwell but a little less pain in the ass to use.
    In pugs they will be completely ignored by most people. In raids/good groups they will prolly be more used, but meeeh... I don't really like the idea of relying on others to heal themselves when I'm a healer. I prefer control over the HP of the group.. Here we have a mechanic that might proc a sphere and then this sphere might be used by other person to heal himself. I never know whether he'll see it and will run and pick it up, especially with all the graphic stuff that is happening around characters. I'd preferer if it worked like DKs bloodworms exploding after proccing and giving some minor AoE heals around them. This way it will become useless most of the time and just spark another argument about how people are bad and should get better..

But in the end we all know that most won't be using them, whether we like it or not - just like most people refused to click lightwells. I don't get it why Blizz still tries to force those mechanics that shift healing responsibility from healers to tanks/DPS, while for the last 2 expansions it simply didn't work.

I still think that there are 3 roles for a reason. Tanks should tank, healers should heal and DPS should DPS.. Don't force one's man responsibility onto others :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Unless I'm standing in melee range (5 man heroics) the boss fights end up with having 10 green spheres all over the place. I will see how it works in a 25 man raid before reforging away from my 5.5k mastery :X

Yea not raiding until Friday, and only in 10 man,so will see how the guild uses them (although they don't seem to show up on my Skada for some reason), but definitely focusing more on Crit than Mastery.

Deleted
    I reforged to crit after hitting 1350 haste because I think it will need some time for people to adjust to the spheres in the same way they needed to learn how to use the light well. In my 10 man raid I would forge back to mastery as soon as people start adapting because I think it could be pretty amazing especial on fights with just a few stacking raid positions.

In 5-mans, the healing spheres don't do a whole lot. However, in 25-man raids, they do a substantial amount of healing. Especially on the first few bosses in Mogu'shan Vaults.

I know what you mean OP, they don't get used as much as they should. As a Brewmaster the ones I get from Gift of the Ox are invaluable, though to get them I have to strafe back and forth constantly, which means what I am tanking moves more often than not, annoying the melee and sometimes even pointing directional effects in the wrong direction. They should spawn them ON the players, not next to them, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    it would be nice if the spheres slowly gravitated toward our party members and the less health the party member had the stronger the acceleration toward to that party member.

You know. Untill I read this post, I actually had NO FREAKING CLUE what those green spheres did.

I think the problem is definately more of an education issue, in which something needs to be done to educate players as to what the spheres are actually for.