Thread: MMR not reset

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    But do you have a chance to beat those top teams anyway? Someone who played together all last season, has good communication, and clearly knows each others strengths and weaknesses... i think you wont. The people who get Glad every season will still get it if they reset it or not.
    Well what the hell sort of logic is that? why even have PvP if that's the case, just give those who got Gladiator before the tittle and have done with it. Anything could happen with an active ladder, even more so at the start of a new expansion with a brand new class. Besides it's not just about the top gladiator spots, this as an effect on the whole ladder it's a massive ripple effect that starts at the top and goes right the way down the ladder.
    Last edited by Flimsy; 2012-10-03 at 09:52 PM.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    But do you have a chance to beat those top teams anyway? Someone who played together all last season, has good communication, and clearly knows each others strengths and weaknesses... i think you wont. The people who get Glad every season will still get it if they reset it or not.
    Yes, of course. How is this even a question? However when the top teams stop playing on their 2k6 mmr mains after the first week of arena and queue their 2k alts/boosts for the next 9 months.. gl getting any rating from that shit.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Morghie View Post
    Could anyone explain to me why is that a bad decision?
    I really do not know since I am not that much into PvP, but I would like to learn the cause of the QQ
    It allows ppl to race to a high team ranking then stop playing and sit on that score for the season. Forcing the ppl that continue playing to grind to catch up since you start raising up slower as the season moves on. It also lets the ppl that gear up quickly at the start to beat a few poor teams or ppl that shouldn't be facing them to pad their numbers.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 02:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    But do you have a chance to beat those top teams anyway? Someone who played together all last season, has good communication, and clearly knows each others strengths and weaknesses... i think you wont. The people who get Glad every season will still get it if they reset it or not.
    It works for everybody just has a bigger benefit to higher end players. I know the highest rating I ever got in arena was when they reset MMR last time and we were able to fire out of the gate against a ton of shitty players. Most likely as the season went on we would have run into several 2400 to 2700 teams and lost more and more dropping our rating, but since we shot out of the gate then one of the teams players comps died we sat and finished the season on score that we surely couldn't have defended.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It works for everybody just has a bigger benefit to higher end players. I know the highest rating I ever got in arena was when they reset MMR last time and we were able to fire out of the gate against a ton of shitty players. Most likely as the season went on we would have run into several 2400 to 2700 teams and lost more and more dropping our rating, but since we shot out of the gate then one of the teams players comps died we sat and finished the season on score that we surely couldn't have defended.
    You just explained why they didn't reset MMR. Those that got Glad are the only players that would. If they reset MMR, the same people would still end up getting glad overall.

    Gear levels are low, but that doesn't mean they make players bad. If you have a good set of players / team, you would face roll all the "lower" rating players anyways.

    Until there is a rating decay, the same teams will either win trade or just sit at a high rating and camp getting Glad.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    You just explained why they didn't reset MMR. Those that got Glad are the only players that would. If they reset MMR, the same people would still end up getting glad overall.

    Gear levels are low, but that doesn't mean they make players bad. If you have a good set of players / team, you would face roll all the "lower" rating players anyways.

    Until there is a rating decay, the same teams will either win trade or just sit at a high rating and camp getting Glad.
    Except that's not true.
    While top 5 players will still get glad, the rest would be completely competitive. The difference between a regular gladiator and a high-duelist is like nothing.

  6. #46
    Epic! Ryan Cailan Ebonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Long Island New York, USA
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    Except that's not true.
    While top 5 players will still get glad, the rest would be completely competitive. The difference between a regular gladiator and a high-duelist is like nothing.
    What type of logic is that? The rest of the players would just fall into their respective places in the hierarchy. What Synche said was spot on, the same players will get where they are even with the MMR reset. The same Duelists will get to Duelist and hit the brick wall. MMR reset won't magically make more people play arena. Sure, for the first month, but once the hierarchy is established, its back to the same old grind.

    A part of me feels like the high rated players just want an MMR reset so they can farm bad teams for 100 games.
    "Time to work soldiers."
    Coroner - Metamorphosis Metamorphosis
    My favorite song since 11/24/2014
    My 4th metal playlist, My Megadeth playlist
    Warrior Scumclass Rogue

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    What type of logic is that? The rest of the players would just fall into their respective places in the hierarchy. What Synche said was spot on, the same players will get where they are even with the MMR reset. The same Duelists will get to Duelist and hit the brick wall. MMR reset won't magically make more people play arena. Sure, for the first month, but once the hierarchy is established, its back to the same old grind.

    A part of me feels like the high rated players just want an MMR reset so they can farm bad teams for 100 games.
    Because nobody ever gets better?
    My friend was a rival in S9.
    By S11 he was a gladiator because he spent time learning how to play his class better, something 99.5% of players won't ever do and just blame their challenger title on x class being OP.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    What type of logic is that? The rest of the players would just fall into their respective places in the hierarchy. What Synche said was spot on, the same players will get where they are even with the MMR reset. The same Duelists will get to Duelist and hit the brick wall. MMR reset won't magically make more people play arena. Sure, for the first month, but once the hierarchy is established, its back to the same old grind.

    A part of me feels like the high rated players just want an MMR reset so they can farm bad teams for 100 games.
    What about new players who are talented? Shouldn't they deserve a chance at titles?

    Same people getting glad every season is a BAD thing. Facilitating that in any way is a BAD thing.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    Because nobody ever gets better?
    My friend was a rival in S9.
    By S11 he was a gladiator because he spent time learning how to play his class better, something 99.5% of players won't ever do and just blame their challenger title on x class being OP.
    And what class was he ? Chances are he is either a FOTM class for that season or was carried by other FOTM classes on his team. If he played without a Warlock, Rogue or Shaman, then kudos, otherwise its just the same thing as any other Glad team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    What about new players who are talented? Shouldn't they deserve a chance at titles?

    Same people getting glad every season is a BAD thing. Facilitating that in any way is a BAD thing.
    0.5% of people actually get Glad, most that do, win trade or camp their rating. I remember seeing some Druid / Druid / Shaman team at the very start camp have like a 49-1 record and camped their rating for the of the season.

    I will agree that it is a bad thing for the same players to get Glad every season, but when it comes to the "top" players, it will always be a certain few that do it. Rating decay would help, but at a high MMR, the same set of teams would keep playing themselves and just resort to win trading to keep their rating. There is no real way to fix a system like this since there are no actual "tournaments" regarding PVP.

    All high MMR teams are usually part of a "clique" , just like how back in Vanilla you had "teams" who would prop people up to help get them FM and such.

  10. #50
    Epic! Ryan Cailan Ebonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Long Island New York, USA
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    Because nobody ever gets better?
    My friend was a rival in S9.
    By S11 he was a gladiator because he spent time learning how to play his class better, something 99.5% of players won't ever do and just blame their challenger title on x class being OP.
    Of course people get better. But the MMR reset won't make the unpopularity problems with arena suddenly go away.

    Your friend probably only got better because he was carried by you or other friends. The arena community is very tight knit. If you're a nobody, chances are you stay a nobody unless you find someone willing to carry you and mentor you who in return will brag how much they've carried you. You'll end up dealing with weeks of abuse until you realize... what the fuck is the point in all of this?

    You have to partly blame the arena community for why arena is so unpopular. Yeah sure Blizzard doesn't care about pvp, we always hear that cop out. But the real reason its unpopular is because the high expectations set on new players and what they have to do to actually be taken seriously. You have to practically sell your soul to the arena community and act just as stupid and ego inflated as they all are. Don't forget to play female characters, listen to dubstep and smoke weed. Half of the getting good process is not even about skill, but about how much you fit in with the culture and how much those people will accept you.
    "Time to work soldiers."
    Coroner - Metamorphosis Metamorphosis
    My favorite song since 11/24/2014
    My 4th metal playlist, My Megadeth playlist
    Warrior Scumclass Rogue

  11. #51
    Jesus christ this is the only WoW-site where so many people literally cannot understand simple concepts like MMR-resets being good for competitiveness. It's embarrassing reading some of these posts. Stick to pet battles or whatever it is you do.

  12. #52
    It's pretty clear that blizzard are sending us the message that pvp is not their concern and we should pve or gtfo.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Of course people get better. But the MMR reset won't make the unpopularity problems with arena suddenly go away.

    Your friend probably only got better because he was carried by you or other friends. The arena community is very tight knit. If you're a nobody, chances are you stay a nobody unless you find someone willing to carry you and mentor you who in return will brag how much they've carried you. You'll end up dealing with weeks of abuse until you realize... what the fuck is the point in all of this?

    You have to partly blame the arena community for why arena is so unpopular. Yeah sure Blizzard doesn't care about pvp, we always hear that cop out. But the real reason its unpopular is because the high expectations set on new players and what they have to do to actually be taken seriously. You have to practically sell your soul to the arena community and act just as stupid and ego inflated as they all are. Don't forget to play female characters, listen to dubstep and smoke weed. Half of the getting good process is not even about skill, but about how much you fit in with the culture and how much those people will accept you.
    So you think that no matter how better you get, you will always suck anyways? Man, my WoW experience obviously isn't anything like yours..
    In honor of all the kids bringing up my avatar:
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wow, for someone with a trollface avatar, you are pretty bad at this.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    You just explained why they didn't reset MMR. Those that got Glad are the only players that would. If they reset MMR, the same people would still end up getting glad overall.

    Gear levels are low, but that doesn't mean they make players bad. If you have a good set of players / team, you would face roll all the "lower" rating players anyways.

    Until there is a rating decay, the same teams will either win trade or just sit at a high rating and camp getting Glad.
    Well the certainly need to add some sort of rating degrade even if it was a do 10 matches a month type of thing. Resetting mmr or not has nothing to do with that they are different issues. Both should happen.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  15. #55
    This is ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    I GET IT (caps dont help, do they?) The people who get Glad every season (the people who got it last season) will get it if the MMR is reset or not.
    Doesn't mean they should deliberately shit all over the competitive side of the game - with people who get gladiator regularly having an even easier time getting it due to MMR not being reset less and less duelist/gladiator top/bottom edge level players and teams are motivated enough to queue up. They get their teams, they park them and then they boost shit for money; very handy for them, not so much for the other players who are actually not as good but still good enough to practice and try to achieve high ratings who will be too afraid or not be bothered to queue because "everyone camps mains and then does boosts". Which is true, and lots of people say it every time.

    Now this is always a problem, the MMR resetting doesn't cause this, it just aggravates the situation even further. Then there's the obvious issue with the rank 1 teams from last season pretty much cruising to rank 1 again if they don't suck complete balls, shitting all over the competition once again. It's not impossible to get it off a team that has more MMR but it sure as hell is not fair at all. They earned the rating the season before, that shouldn't entitle them to a free ride to it once again the season after. There should be competition. This fucks it up completely. I'm repeating myself. That's the point.

  16. #56
    I noticed this while watching Reckful's stream, his 3's team were 10-0, 1100 rating and 2.4k MMR. GG blizz

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    And what class was he ? Chances are he is either a FOTM class for that season or was carried by other FOTM classes on his team. If he played without a Warlock, Rogue or Shaman, then kudos, otherwise its just the same thing as any other Glad team.



    0.5% of people actually get Glad, most that do, win trade or camp their rating. I remember seeing some Druid / Druid / Shaman team at the very start camp have like a 49-1 record and camped their rating for the of the season.

    I will agree that it is a bad thing for the same players to get Glad every season, but when it comes to the "top" players, it will always be a certain few that do it. Rating decay would help, but at a high MMR, the same set of teams would keep playing themselves and just resort to win trading to keep their rating. There is no real way to fix a system like this since there are no actual "tournaments" regarding PVP.

    All high MMR teams are usually part of a "clique" , just like how back in Vanilla you had "teams" who would prop people up to help get them FM and such.
    Hahahaha...I am sorry but this poster just seems like the kind of person who would defend blizz no matter how terrible they are. I propose that all sensible people ignore this person now. "Chances are he is fotm.." Never argue with people who create facts out of their arse.

    OT: Read the thread, first thought " here we go again......"

  18. #58
    Oh! Oh! Terrible, terrible damage.

    Do they just no longer want players to sub anymore?
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

    Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle.d View Post
    Oh! Oh! Terrible, terrible damage.

    Do they just no longer want players to sub anymore?
    Yes because clearly people are subscribed for the sub-par pvp experience, and nothing else. I think its safe to say WoW would survive if the entire pvp community left because of this.

  20. #60
    i am still sad about this.
    a lot of the posts i read here also make me weep for humanity and it's downfall

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •