Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mac client announced

ArenaNet announced a Mac client for GW2 today.

It appears to be a Cider port, and while I'm downloading it at the moment, I haven't yet been able to check out its quality.

You can download it by logging in to your GW2 account, clicking "Download Client", and selecting the Mac client. This will download a disk image (.dmg) file with the installer, the installer will then download the rest of the client.

Deleted
    I had a hunch they were working on that.

I'm keen on hearing what multimedia API they're using for the Mac version. Mostly because I'm curious whether they've made it for OpenGL, and might consider applying OpenGL support on the Windows version too.

Deleted
    Happy days, I have a few friends I may be able to convert now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! Great! So I can now delete the Windows partition on my Mac.
    This game was the only reason for me even installing it...

Thanks Anet.
    What is worth fighting for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, nice to see Arena Net is giving options to Mac users too.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Yes! Great! So I can now delete the Windows partition on my Mac.
    This game was the only reason for me even installing it...
    Careful, it's a Cider port, so Bootcamp may still give you better performance (though, at least for City of Heroes, the Mac client did handle anti-aliasing a lot more smoothly -- i.e. without performance crashing to the single FPS digits -- than the Windows client on my machine). You may have to weigh the inconvenience of restarting into Bootcamp against performance differences.

Also, the client is still in beta, so I don't know how stable it will be for continuous play.

Deleted
    Sorry for a possibly stupid question but does anyone know what size the client download is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    Careful, it's a Cider port, so Bootcamp may still give you better performance (though, at least for City of Heroes, the Mac client did handle anti-aliasing a lot more smoothly -- i.e. without performance crashing to the single FPS digits -- than the Windows client on my machine). You may have to weigh the inconvenience of restarting into Bootcamp against performance differences.

Also, the client is still in beta, so I don't know how stable it will be for continuous play.
    Thanks, I'll keep my Windows partition around for now.
    Downloading the Mac client to see how it fares.
    What is worth fighting for?

Quote Originally Posted by reikomars View Post
    Sorry for a possibly stupid question but does anyone know what size the client download is?
    claimed it needed 18g of disk space.... and I am current downloading it. does not say how much of that is downloaded (compressed)
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I really want to get the client downloaded and started first before I make the purchase. I've had enough disappointment paying full price for games and then having it run badly. Have a late 2011 Macbook Pro 15" here.

Okay, you do not need to download the entire client a second time.

Download the package from the ANET site.
    Install that.
    Find it in Finder... right click and select show package contents
    Drill into Resources -> Transgaming -> c_drive -> GW2

There should be a GW2.DAT in there, copy over that one from your bootcamp drive. Then start the game normally... oh, it requires ALT-TAB to reach the desktop when your playing the mac client.
    iMac

Deleted
    Eww Cider port! I hope for the people who run primarily on a Mac get a full fat port.
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2012-09-18 at 03:41 PM.

Funny, I have friends that were complaining about not being able to play on their Macs like two days ago.

1) runs far better under bootcamp, duh
    2) mouse scroll wheels do not work
    3) odd sound at times
    iMac

Why do people even torture themselves with Mac if they are going to be gaming, I understand Mac is great for other things but if you are into gaming just get a PC, IMO Apple is for i-phones, or any of there i-series hardware, computer gaming is for PC, the days of Apple gaming computers died with Oregon trail 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by warjin View Post
    Why do people even torture themselves with Mac if they are going to be gaming, I understand Mac is great for other things but if you are into gaming just get a PC, IMO Apple is for i-phones, or any of there i-series hardware, computer gaming is for PC, the days of Apple gaming computers died with Oregon trail 20 years ago.
    Lots of people have only one computer or are not interested in getting a separate computer just for gaming.

And there are Russian/Korean/Japanese/Polish localizations?
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm from North Pole.

High quality hardware combined with a rock stable OS? The fact I have one cable to my system and most people who don't know an iMac ask where the computer is? Being able run any number of copies of Windows as child applications within OS X? Really, why do people suffer having JUST a Windows computer.

Oh, did I mention I can resell it far easier than a beige box machine?
    iMac

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    1) runs far better under bootcamp, duh
    Yep, I get around 100% of performance hit here (retina Mac Book Pro). Will be sticking to Bootcamp I guess.

---------- Post added 2012-09-18 at 08:50 PM ----------

We really don't need this kind of posts here. You still deserve an answer: because some of us actually use a computer for getting work done and don't want to get a secondary machine just for gaming. My retina MacBoo has the performance of a modern gaming laptop while weighting 2kg, being under an inch thick and featuring over 8 hours usable (as in, while doing serious work) battery time. Sure, I can get a Sager with the same gaming performance for a bit over half the money I payed for the Mac. But to be honest, I'd rather pay an additional grand for the Mac and save the medical bills associated with lugging a 6kg monster around with me every day (I am a researcher and I have to travel a lot for conferences, meeting and teaching). And I am even not starting about battery time or having an OS you can get some work done with