Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Thanks for this tip

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Now WoW can't write to that file when it caches any mobs, so your NPCScan won't need resetting. You may need to do the above steps again when WoW patches, haven't tested that yet.
    Bumping to confirm that THIS IS TRUE for anyone else using this method. It DOES reset after patches! D:
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Bumping to confirm that THIS IS TRUE for anyone else using this method. It DOES reset after patches! D:
    Eeek. I'm glad you said that.

Also, can confirm that if you cache a mob while you're playing, it'll stay cached until you close WoW down. Meaning npcscan won't go off again until you reopen WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    There's an additional step you can take to make it look like a regular Wow shortcut if you don't want it getting lost among your other icons on your desktop/start menu lol. This is purely cosmetic as double clicking the .bat will perform the exact same task as this shortcut.

As said before, presumably you're running windows, this is what I do:

1. Open notepad and paste the following (if you want to include the regular npc cache as well feel free to)
    If you wish to open the Launcher
    Code:
    @del "Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb"
    @start C:\"Program Files"\"World of Warcraft"\"World of Warcraft Launcher.exe"
    If you wish to open straight to the game
    Code:
    @start C:\"Program Files"\"World of Warcraft"\"WoW.exe"
    2. Save it "name.bat" into where ever your game is installed

3. Right click on an empty space in your Wow folder > New > Shortcut

4. The wizard will ask you what file you want to set as a destination for your shortcut. Navigate to your "name.bat" notepad file you just made in your Wow folder and name this shortcut whatever you want and click Finish.

5. Right click your shortcut you just made > Properties > Shortcut tab > Change Icon > OK > Browse > pick either the game.exe or launcher.exe for the icon image > Open > OK > Apply

You now have a shortcut to the game, as you probably would have already, that performs that npccache code AND looks like wow to boot. I've been using this same method at least since the beginning of Cata when I started going rare crazy and it still works just fine.
    Awesome! I was using Task Scheduler to delete the cache folder at log in, but this is a much better solution. The read-only method didn't work for me, so this will be a big time saver. Thanks.

Thanks for the info!

There is already an option within NPCScan to continue to alarm on rares that are already cached...

"Fell deeds awake! Now for wrath; now for ruin, and the red dawn!"

Deleted
    While I might be wrong, that would be impossible due to the way NPCScan detects nearby units. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the option to alert for rares you have already killed?

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how you handle your pc, but if you shut it down let's say each night, you also can put a shortcut to this batchfile (without the "@start" part) into your autostart folder. so the cache gets deleted every time your start your pc.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    No idea what the read only 'trick' is, so unless you'd like to explain it, I'll go with this weird bat file that for some reason reminds me of how much I hat ZuBATs in caves.

Either way, thanks much for the help
    God damn zubats... gotta stock up on repel before you enter that stupid cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    While I might be wrong, that would be impossible due to the way NPCScan detects nearby units. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the option to alert for rares you have already killed?
    I believe that is the option I am referring to. I am definitely no UI master, but all I know is that after I turned on this option, I continue to get alerted to the same rare spawns multiple times and I have never wiped my cache. Not sure exactly how it is working, but I see no need to clear my cache.

Deleted
    Is that the 'Alert for completed Achievement NPCs'?

I've enabled it today so I'll check it out. Personally I want it to alert me every time the NPC is up, regardless of cached results. I am studying at my desk with my headphones on (for noise cancellation). Right now I parked my Hunter at Krol and would like to be alerted each time he spawns (so I can level my Priest with an array of potions).

Quote Originally Posted by Baelroc View Post
    There is already an option within NPCScan to continue to alarm on rares that are already cached...

There is an option for that but it often overlooks rares you have killed.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Is that the 'Alert for completed Achievement NPCs'?

I've enabled it today so I'll check it out. Personally I want it to alert me every time the NPC is up, regardless of cached results. I am studying at my desk with my headphones on (for noise cancellation). Right now I parked my Hunter at Krol and would like to be alerted each time he spawns (so I can level my Priest with an array of potions).
    Yep thats the one.

There is an option for that but it often overlooks rares you have killed.
    It has always worked for me. I have killed Snitch multiple times and have always been alerted to his presence despite never clearing my cache.

Deleted
    Well, it didn't work for me on Krol The Blade at least. Turned the option on, reloaded my interface (even though that's not even necessary) and killed Krol so he was cached. Waited for about an hour for his next spawn, which did not alert me.

I'm going to continue using the shortcut that deletes my creature cache then, works fine .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelroc View Post
    It has always worked for me. I have killed Snitch multiple times and have always been alerted to his presence despite never clearing my cache.
    Your cache might be broken, then (as in, the WoW client doesn't cache data on the disk). That way you will get alerted for the first sighting of your current session.

Read Only Option

One suggestion for using the Read-Only option...

Delete your cache files
    Remove _NPCSCan,
    Log In and run around the zones you are using at the time, do your daily, etc..
    Log Out then mark the file Read-Only

This way you are tons of normal mobs cached which you want. Ideally we need a bat file to delete just the Rare mobs from the cache.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even after weeks of playing without deleting the cache, in play spread over every continent and most zones, the entire Cache folder is less than 10 MB. It's quite safe to just delete the whole darn thing on a regular basis, you'll never even notice it retrieving things from the server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    There's an additional step you can take to make it look like a regular Wow shortcut if you don't want it getting lost among your other icons on your desktop/start menu lol. This is purely cosmetic as double clicking the .bat will perform the exact same task as this shortcut.

As said before, presumably you're running windows, this is what I do:

1. Open notepad and paste the following (if you want to include the regular npc cache as well feel free to)
    If you wish to open the Launcher
    Code:
    @start C:\"Program Files"\"World of Warcraft"\"World of Warcraft Launcher.exe"
    If you wish to open straight to the game
    Code:
    @start C:\"Program Files"\"World of Warcraft"\"WoW.exe"

2. Save it "name.bat" into where ever your game is installed

3. Right click on an empty space in your Wow folder > New > Shortcut

4. The wizard will ask you what file you want to set as a destination for your shortcut. Navigate to your "name.bat" notepad file you just made in your Wow folder and name this shortcut whatever you want and click Finish.

5. Right click your shortcut you just made > Properties > Shortcut tab > Change Icon > OK > Browse > pick either the game.exe or launcher.exe for the icon image > Open > OK > Apply

You now have a shortcut to the game, as you probably would have already, that performs that npccache code AND looks like wow to boot. I've been using this same method at least since the beginning of Cata when I started going rare crazy and it still works just fine.
    Works great, but I can't pin this shortcut to my taskbar. ;_;

I hate icons. I don't have any on my desktop; I keep everything I need on my taskbar...but I can't pin this to the taskbar, or even the start menu. Wat do?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Google search turns up this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 05:50 PM ----------

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥