Thread: I miss D2

Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    I miss D2

    I like the increased display size, better graphics, and not having to click furiously to get some pieces of loot that are lodged under mobs, but all in all, the classes seem too homogenized. Sorry if this has been posted 1,000 times before. I just needed to vent. I bought D3 two weeks ago and am burnt out. Normal/Nightmare/Hell all seemed like the same difficulty, then I hit a brick wall in Inferno before I geared up via the AH, but the content just seems... lacking. I liked that a Paladin was different from a Druid was different from a Sorceress was different from a Necromancer, but in D3 the feeling I get is that they're all pretty much the same. Ranged is ranged, melee is melee, and the talents, well... I miss the talent tree of D2. I am not saying that the game is awful, but after waiting for like... 3 years, I feel a bit disappointed.

    Thoughts?

    Edit: I do like the AH, that was a nice addition. I like the online only, assuming that it actually does prevent bots.
    Last edited by Tarkenoff; 2012-10-03 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Add some reasons for liking

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkenoff View Post
    I like the online only, assuming that it actually does prevent bots.
    It doesn't. If you understand how bots work you would know that online only doesn't prevent anything.
    The only way to stop bots is to scan people's computers. And that is something that isn't allowed since it violates your privacy.

    I'm not saying bots are widespread. But they are out there. In fact, even duping has reemerged.

    Oh, and I agree that some things about D2 really make it better than D3.
    It's not just nostalgia, D3 improved in some areas but it also did worse in others.

  3. #3
    Eh I don't see how you can call the classes the same really. They're worlds apart. Apart from that I guess I miss certain things from D2 as well; like doing a quick Eldritch, Pindleskin, Shenk run or doing a couple of Pit runs. Or seeing uniques/set drop frequently. But classes and talent trees? No.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    Weird. I'm feel the opposite as the OP. I'm also bored of D3 but my main reason for that is the AH, which the OP likes. On the other hand, I find classes are quite different from each other in D3 and that's one of the things I like about it.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  5. #5
    I miss D2 Classic. I played LoD for 2 weeks when it came out and thought it was garbage. I went back to classic and found that a lot of people agreed with me. Every now and then I'd try LoD again but it kept boring me to tears. What to do? Baal baal baal baal baal. People were loving doing the same thing over and over and I never understood it. And since you couldn't click faster than bots, you never got any loot from it. I also hated that the best gear was uniques (aka legendaries), and the only difference between different players was how perfect the stat rolls on your uniques were... God it was boring, and the 1.04 legendary buff makes D3 gear the same in that respect. Blech.

    Blizzard's biggest problem is their inability to leave well enough alone. When something isn't broken, they try to fix it anyway, and usually end up doing more harm than good.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    I also hated that the best gear was uniques (aka legendaries), and the only difference between different players was how perfect the stat rolls on your uniques were... God it was boring, and the 1.04 legendary buff makes D3 gear the same in that respect. Blech.
    Except uniques actually dropped regularly.
    Well, maybe the top few uniques didn't. But that's still better than having a 1 in a million chance to get a legendary, only to realize it's crap.

    At least in D2 you would find lots of uniques, and many were decent. Only a few were top notch, but that's a lot better than D3 still.

  7. #7
    Torchlight 2 will satisfy your needs. Diablo 3 had an amazing story and is an awesome game but it doesn't feel like Diablo 1 and 2 did. Torchlight 2, you should check out - if very much feels like Diablo 2 with great graphics.

  8. #8
    Nothing will match the splendor and glory of Diablo II, as I experienced it in a hormone-flooded adolescent state of wonder. Biased forever to think it the best game ever...

    I grew up playing D2, Deckard Cain was like a grandfather to me. I mourned his death.

    D3 just isn't anywhere near what D2 was. And it isn't the classes, the difficulty, the grind, the gear, or anything specific for that matter. Just something about the whole atmosphere, doesn't make you as into/obsessed about it. Once you've cleared Inferno, and played to Hell on every class, there seems to be no reason to keep coming back...
    Winterblade 90 Worgen Death Knight
    >> Click signature for Armory link <<

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Except uniques actually dropped regularly.
    Well, maybe the top few uniques didn't. But that's still better than having a 1 in a million chance to get a legendary, only to realize it's crap.

    At least in D2 you would find lots of uniques, and many were decent. Only a few were top notch, but that's a lot better than D3 still.
    Between being paragon lvl 44, having some MF from gear, and most importantly, killing quickly, I get plenty of good loot, both rare and legendary. In fact I just finished up a run where I got an amulet worth ~8 mill and a wizard offhand worth possibly 10-20 mill. Granted, this was not a typical run, but the fact I just finished it literally 5 minutes ago makes it worth mentioning.

    D3 has a lot of issues, but lack of loot is not one of them. The people complaining likely haven't taken the time to learn how to gear and spec properly to kill quickly, or are doing suboptimal routes (eg. doing the whole act instead of a quick route run). The people complaining are also likely to not be recognizing good rares when they see them, and selling them to the vendor or smashing them for mats.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

  10. #10
    I grew up playing D2, Deckard Cain was like a grandfather to me. I mourned his death.
    What could you have been mourning!? Possibly the most pointless spoiler ever considering the sentance xD

  11. #11
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    It doesn't. If you understand how bots work you would know that online only doesn't prevent anything.
    The only way to stop bots is to scan people's computers. And that is something that isn't allowed since it violates your privacy.
    Ummm you need to read the ToS. Almost every Anti Cheat program that is used to combat cheating and hacking scans your memory while the game is up. Remember that box you selected at the bottom of all that jargon you didnt read? Ya that gives them authorization to do so otherwise you could not play the game.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    What could you have been mourning!? Possibly the most pointless spoiler ever considering the sentance xD
    We should talk about how cliche it was to "kill the old guy and show the faceless guy's face". We should also talk about how Blizz completely ruined both of these moments by making it ridiculously easy to see them coming.

    I mean, really, did anyone NOT know that was Tyrael from the very first time they showed the fireball coming down from the heavens? And, I doubt I was the only one who figured it was the end of Cain when he was all, "You guys go ahead and do your mystery solving. I'll just stay here. Why? Oh, no reason. I'm just waiting for some crazy butterfly bitch no one's ever even heard of to come rape my face."

    Screw all the complaints I have with the game. If I ever got the chance to slap a developer it would be because they off'ed Cain via some no-name rabid moth lady.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-10-04 at 10:48 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

  13. #13
    You miss classic ? i miss Diablo I !

    When i was 10 and didnt understand a lick of english the story was not cheesy at all, all the monsters were insanely smart and good items ment something because i couldnt keep attention long enough to get a second unique in my lifetime.

    I dont even remember if the game has several difficulty modes.

    The game was soo much better then.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    You miss classic ? i miss Diablo I !

    When i was 10 and didnt understand a lick of english the story was not cheesy at all, all the monsters were insanely smart and good items ment something because i couldnt keep attention long enough to get a second unique in my lifetime.

    I dont even remember if the game has several difficulty modes.

    The game was soo much better then.
    It had Normal/Nightmare/Hell. Diablo 1 was great - it had awesome atmosphere.

  15. #15
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden Göteborg
    Posts
    311
    I miss crafting Runwords, crafting orange amulets, rolling charms in the cube, feeling to find Ber/Jah/Ohm.

    I dont miss rolling 20 Call to arms(in one ladder) and not getting a single 6,6,* :<

  16. #16
    I missed D2 also until Torchlight2 came out. Although D3 was a solid game in the sense of its engine, physics system and upgraded graphics I felt it was a terrible hollow and shallow game which is why i stopped playing it very soon. TL2 on the otherhand had me thoroughly enjoying my play time again and is what all those ARPG lovers of the old D2 wished that D3 should have been.

  17. #17
    You know what I miss? Pong. These modern tennis games just don't have any of the style or substance that game had.

    Can we move on now? Diablo 3 =/= Diablo 2. I also miss playing Quake 2 on a competitive tournament level, but I don't bemoan every BF3 or MW3 or CS:GO forum with that fact. Games move on, things change and some people just can't adapt or accept change. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you miss Diablo 2 so much, then... go play it. It's not like it's ceased to exist, or has that game which some how sustained people's interests for purported lengths in excess of a decade suddenly just become unplayable to them?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    You know what I miss? Pong. These modern tennis games just don't have any of the style or substance that game had.

    Can we move on now? Diablo 3 =/= Diablo 2. I also miss playing Quake 2 on a competitive tournament level, but I don't bemoan every BF3 or MW3 or CS:GO forum with that fact. Games move on, things change and some people just can't adapt or accept change. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you miss Diablo 2 so much, then... go play it. It's not like it's ceased to exist, or has that game which some how sustained people's interests for purported lengths in excess of a decade suddenly just become unplayable to them?
    Your point would make sense if there was some natural law that said nothing new can contain anything old. However, since that is not the case, there's not really anything wrong with someone saying that parts of what he liked with the old are missing from the new. This concept is so universally accepted that I bet you can finish my next sentence.

    If it ain't broke...
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Your point would make sense if there was some natural law that said nothing new can contain anything old. However, since that is not the case, there's not really anything wrong with someone saying that parts of what he liked with the old are missing from the new. This concept is so universally accepted that I bet you can finish my next sentence.

    If it ain't broke...
    ...play the same game for another 10 years?

  20. #20
    Yeah I find the game mechanics to be quite amazing; could use a longer and better story. The thing that sucks infinitely about it is the terrible loot philosophy that kills all joy. You MUST use the AH and unless you either spend real money or play relentlessly long you will never ever get enough gold to get geared to do inferno.

    How to make it fun:

    Make stuff drop more good items
    Basically don't force the AH on people, thats what killed it for me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •