Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Exactly why I dont PvE.

So I'm leveling my warrior through the outlands, and I hadnt tried tanking yet so I decided I would. 3rd dungeon in, I come across 3 people (from different servers) about 5 percent into the dungeon.

"pull lots bro"

Alright, I know what I can and cannot handle at 58 when the mobs are 61. I knew they were going to just AOE things down, fine by me. It was a monk, frost dk, and a mage. The thing is, they wouldnt even let me get aggro first. So we have mobs running all over while they spam their aoe's and what not. Then they proceed to call me bad and letting other insults fly, and all I responded with was, "they arent letting me get aggro"

"omg"
    "LOL"
    "Is he serious"
    "this tank is bad kick him"

AND THEN, the healer was complaining that I wasnt pulling enough. I think 2 packs of mobs with pats is sufficient enough. So I pull 4 packs. Wipe. EVEN MORE INSULTS.

Its like Im fighting a losing battle. I never PVE, I do very little "dungeoning" on my other toons, so is this how people are all the time?

As a warrior, you should be able to hold aggro in any aoe situation. Ive dungeon leveled my monk so far from 15-58 and only have had compliments.

Deleted
    I understand... you think you dislike pve, but you actually dislike playing with random people with no patience or education.

(I dislike that too... So I got myself into a guild)

10+ Year Old Account
    People cannot understand that they aren't in charge of everyone else in the game. I play tanks almost exclusively, and the thing I've learned is to just ignore them and pull what I want, how I want. If they want to pull first, don't help them, just let them take the mobs and you go to the next group and pull it. Usually this causes the healer to have to increase their output a lot, and hopefully will get them on your side.

If not, try to just run with friends/guildies, or do what I do in extreme cases: RP walk the rest of the instance. If they kick you, who cares, you get an instant queue anyway.

Thing is, people are just selfish. They don't care about you or anyone else, only their self-satisfaction. That's fine when you pay to play, but a decent human being should have some sort of respect for others, regardless of whether they're face to face with someone or not.

To answer your last question: Yes, people in PUGs are like this ALL the time. Some might say I'm exaggerating, but I have seen this type of behavior in most, if not all, of the random dungeons I've tanked.
    I make videos of SimCity mainly, but am open to suggestions; check me out!

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcan...?feature=guide
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/TheArcaneBagel

Deleted
    Don't let these ass hats get to you man, if people don't have the common courtesey to offer constructive critisism, then they aren't worth listening to at all. I don't know how good of a tank you are so I won't patronize you with tips, but just keep going and ignore the assholes, it may be hard to believe but there are still nice people doing PvE, I've come across a few these past few days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah well, this is why I don't do PvP:

"OMG! just give up already!"
    "You guys suck!"
    "This team is horrible!"
    "OMFG WHY ARE YOU IN PVE GEAR?"
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    There are good players, bad players and egotistical players... it can be a concoction of all... I'm good... I'm not egotistical... but I can't stand playing with bad players. I just won't make a scene... If someone is bad, I'll whisper to them that I'm done raiding/dungeoning w/e. I leave and find someone new.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots like that. They are used to experienced tanks who can hold aggro in those situations.

My suggestion would be that you should try to learn to beat them at their own game. Get better, and learn to be a master holder of threat. Opening moves are critical for snap threat. Also, don't be afraid to run ahead to grab mobs. Pop a CD for survivability if you need to hold mobs until the healer catches up. Things like that.

You actually do have the toold to do all the things they asked. You just need to learn to use them. Just sux that you got stuck with a group like that to learn vs a more understanding group that would be patient with a newer tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Yeah well, this is why I don't do PvP:

"OMG! just give up already!"
    "You guys suck!"
    "This team is horrible!"
    "OMFG WHY ARE YOU IN PVE GEAR?"
    Oh, you're referring to BG's... Haven't called those PvP in years... Always called them "Kill everyone who is undgeared" which is about 99%.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by BRO90X View Post
    As a warrior, you should be able to hold aggro in any aoe situation. Ive dungeon leveled my monk so far from 15-58 and only have had compliments.
    OH MY GOD, A FELLOW BICH!

You shouldn't judge PvE till you're 80+ in my opinion. That just seems like an unfortunate event, doesn't mean it's all bad. I suggest: find a nice guild, do runs with them. Avoid pugs completely. Especially pugs who consist of "friends".
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

When you run with random ppl you end up often finding random idiots. If you pvp a lot you should know this well from the high amounts of douchbaggery that goes on in bgs. It is just easier to focus that crap attitude ppl sometimes have on 1 person in a dungeon.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Yea, as stated I think BGs are worse than dungeons for the random set you get. If you aren't referring to BGs, then you have to form your own group for Arena, which you can do for dungeons as well and avoid getting people you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by BRO90X View Post
    Hold aggro? Read the OP, you can't "hold aggro" if you never have time to GET aggro.

@OP - Take everyone's advice and find friends or a guild to play with who won't act like these randoms.

Deleted
    actually just leave those ppls that tell you how you should tank! whoever tells this never played a tank or healer. its almost only DDs that demand aoe tanking an then focus ONE aof those targets an push their dps so they aggro it and then eventually die. i immediately leave those groups cause im back in in there in 10minutes instant invite, wheile they wait 30minutes for their next tank, that will probably do the same as me ... just never ever reward those ppl with your work of tanking!

actually you should be ablo to tank aoe nevertheless. some classes are easier at it (paladins) than others i think. actually i play paladin and warrior and soon a monk in tanking ,and i dont find it quite challenging at the moment. (sometimes when you have to decive surviving or aoe tps things may go wrong, cause most dds dont look at their aggro anymore, but rather at their incredibleeee dps) but you have to know what to do first!

prot-paladin: shield of avenger, hammer of R, then consecrate. use seal of insight (selfheal does produce aggro on all mobs in fight!!! though its not improved by wrath aggro buff i think) and use WoG for burst St tps.
    protwarrior: jump in, dragonroar, thunderclap, and then hit revenge as often as ist proccs.
    for the monk: so far some of its aoe tanking abilities behave strange (firebreath has a very narrow angle for aoe damage, its rather a "hit everything in a row, when are mobs in a row?!)step backwards then hit it.) also that brew-jab thing is also not always hitting everyone in front. and add zensphere.

just ignore the chat, especially in low level dungeons. People want to rush through it and if you ever stop - they will pull for you..
    What I do? I just ignore them, let them die.. if we wipe, we wipe, not a big deal for me. Will they insult or rage? don't care.. Will they kick me? so what I'll quickly get into new group. Just enter every dungeon expecting to get 3 bad DPS and bad healer - if it turns otherwise - good for you. If you don't - then just do your job and let them rage at their monitors. Surprisingly most runs will be ok, just sometimes you'll run into total dipshits.

btw. on my monk I've never been kicked and I let overzealous DPS die all the time XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Ignore and move at own pace, that's always my policy when tanking. If people want to votekick they can and you can just requeue instantly while they wait around. I rarely get votekicked though, there are occasionally assholes like you explain but it's easy to just mass pull and bail for those rare circumstances. LFD seems to get far worse reviews than what is actually true for 95% of the groups you run across, in my experience, sounds like you got unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhany View Post
    for the monk: so far some of its aoe tanking abilities behave strange (firebreath has a very narrow angle for aoe damage, its rather a "hit everything in a row, when are mobs in a row?!)step backwards then hit it.) also that brew-jab thing is also not always hitting everyone in front. and add zensphere.
    Run in, keg smash -> then guard to not get stomped (at higher levels, like mid/late TBC and further, if you do big pulls your HP drains extremely fast). Roll out to get mobs into a line -> jab (with power smash for 2 chi) and use glyphed breath of fire (nice disorient). roll out -> target the furthest enemy and clash for stun. when stun wears off leg sweep. keep keg smashig/jabbing and use chi for breaths. when enemies start to attack roll out and start kiting while throwing kegs for slows.
    This way you can pull 3-4, sometimes more packs without getting instagibbed. Use guard on CD of course, zen sphere also helps. But the key is to never get hit by all the mobs or you're dead. When some of the enemies die you can start using your whirlwind (or whatever it's called xD), keep moving to collect health globes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

its blizzard fault to this..since they made all dungeons an aoe zergfest. Make them like TBC where a mob could kill you one-shot and then we can talk again how kids run and pull mobs before tank does. Seriously, just play with friends or find a guild. Don't go with anonymus randoms from 100 servers that don't give a shit because they will never see you again...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Areox View Post
    So I'm leveling my warrior through the outlands, and I hadnt tried tanking yet so I decided I would. 3rd dungeon in, I come across 3 people (from different servers) about 5 percent into the dungeon.

"pull lots bro"

Alright, I know what I can and cannot handle at 58 when the mobs are 61. I knew they were going to just AOE things down, fine by me. It was a monk, frost dk, and a mage. The thing is, they wouldnt even let me get aggro first. So we have mobs running all over while they spam their aoe's and what not. Then they proceed to call me bad and letting other insults fly, and all I responded with was, "they arent letting me get aggro"

"omg"
    "LOL"
    "Is he serious"
    "this tank is bad kick him"

AND THEN, the healer was complaining that I wasnt pulling enough. I think 2 packs of mobs with pats is sufficient enough. So I pull 4 packs. Wipe. EVEN MORE INSULTS.

Its like Im fighting a losing battle. I never PVE, I do very little "dungeoning" on my other toons, so is this how people are all the time?
    Get used to it, and bads like to stick together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally while levelling tanks I tend to pull anything before people can pull themselves and usually do enough damage to have a pack almost dead by the time I'm at the next one due to cleaving/HSing/HoTRing while moving. I only stop when I know I have enough mobs to be a threat to me if I don't "do something about it" (although this is a natural sense from levelling so many times I guess)

You should try it. People love it, except the healer. Some healers are such slackers
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.