Deleted

MoP's Affliction Warlocks in Battlegrounds

I leveled 90 on Friday and got full contender's gear. (cloth crafted pvp gear)
    Today I log on to buy gear for my 4 k justice and honor and to try affliction in BGs, I had heard that it was shit in Cata.

Oh boy. I was getting killed by everything and it felt as if I didn't contribute to the fight at all. My 80 k haunt crits had been lowered to 30 k and so had my dot ticks. I was constantly getting killed by melee doing 40 k abilities. My portal just delayed my death and I didn't do enough damage to out dps them because I have to cast while they don't.

At Cata launch I played an Elemental shaman I PvP and it felt better than what affliction does now. At least I had heals as a shaman.

I feel worthless, any advice?
    My gear (Weapon kind of sucks but you can't get one from PvP yet, ty very much Blizzard)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatspostcount View Post
    I leveled 90 on Friday and got full contender's gear. (cloth crafted pvp gear)
    Today I log on to buy gear for my 4 k justice and honor and to try affliction in BGs, I had heard that it was shit in Cata.

Oh boy. I was getting killed by everything and it felt as if I didn't contribute to the fight at all. My 80 k haunt crits had been lowered to 30 k and so had my dot ticks. I was constantly getting killed by melee doing 40 k abilities. My portal just delayed my death and I didn't do enough damage to out dps them because I have to cast while they don't.

At Cata launch I played an Elemental shaman I PvP and it felt better than what affliction does now. At least I had heals as a shaman.

I feel worthless, any advice?
    My gear (Weapon kind of sucks but you can't get one from PvP yet, ty very much Blizzard)
    Run the Arena of Annihilation scenario. Do the quest when you get in the place and at the end you get a nice shiny 450 blue weapon. Dead easy, even if you get a bad group. That should at least solve your weapon problem till you can get somethign else.

Deleted
    Warlock is a class that can suck badly in pvp or be incredible good. It's "hard" to play affliction compared to a melee were you just need to be in range to succeed...

But clearly you are beyond a noob when you talk about haunt crit damage? I mean lol. It's just silly to comment on damage crits, your damage is reduced just as much as everyone else. If you want to see big crits you should play destruction.

Affliction warlock is extremely powerful in pvp and bg's. If you fail you are not skilled enough and/or your gear is not good enough. I would say gear is much more important for a warlock than any melee for example. A melee just need to be in range, bash it's buttons to win, while you as the caster must kite and time spells so you don't get interrupted.

Get full pvp gear, play a couple of hundreds of bg's, then comment on the class.

Playing warlock will either reward you big time or punish you for not doing it right.
    Last edited by mmoc5d3135715b; 2012-10-04 at 01:52 AM.

Warlocks are amazing right now, at least for bgs. I feel like all I need is enough allies to meatshield for me, while I pot-shot people in a few globals. Typically ending with double the damage of the next player, and very high (sometimes above actual healers) on healing.

I'm expecting nerfs, to be honest.

Pro tip: switch to destro, roll gob or gnome, hide in a bush, pray nobody focus you, and melt face with 150k crits from Chaos Bolt

Deleted
    I wonder where these 150k Chaos Bolt crits are coming from, you guys must be fighting people in level 85 gear or something, because I'm not seeing them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Pro tip: switch to destro, roll gob or gnome, hide in a bush, pray nobody focus you, and melt face with 150k crits from Chaos Bolt

Hahaaaahaaa!! Roll gnome and hide!!! The funnyst tip I ever read!!!! XDDDDDDDDD

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    I wonder where these 150k Chaos Bolt crits are coming from, you guys must be fighting people in level 85 gear or something, because I'm not seeing them.
    I've had 200k crits a few times. 110k crits without cooldowns are basically staple. Add 30% to that when DS is up. Add about 20% to that with PvP trinket up. Throw in another 30% if you have zerking.

Really, who are you fighting?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    destro main stat for pvp is crit stack it like there is no tomorrow. all blue and yellow sockets should be 160 crit 160 pvppower and red should be either int pvp power or int crit. it should look like this 6%hit > crit > mastery > haste if not you are doing something wrong

OT: I am not very good at playing aff so I went with destro and focused on that repeating duels from pre patch to mop. And I steam roll ppl in pvp. the only melee i have a little trouble with is blood DK and that is just because they heal alot. learn to fake cast. and get a addon that tell you the cooldown on their silence. Destro is a very powerfull spec with lots of self healing and really good damage. but it is easy to see who knows how to play it and who dosen't
    Last edited by mmoc8c815007e9; 2012-10-04 at 06:25 AM.

You don't have to worry since what you described is common for every expansion. Affliction is terrible in 1v1 scenario, it's not good at getting kills either. But when it comes to competitive pvp it's a class that compliment nearly any other and fit in almost any composition, provides enough spread dmg and CC for RBG (even more now with soulburn swap, shadowfury etc.). Also as ppls stated switching to destro will be better for solo queues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaldee View Post
    Affliction is terrible in 1v1 scenario.
    That is not, and never has been, even remotely true.

Deleted
    Soulburn soulswap with no cooldown. That's all I need to say

If I don't top damage done in a random BG there's another warlock ahead of me. Affliction is just insane right now and if you have played any ranged class PvP before you should be having a blast.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually top damage and sometimes killing blows....I usually lose killing blows to any classes with an instant burst or execute that's instant. The only class that overwhelms me is warriors ....they have the cc of prot warriors of old expansions, incredible utility and survivability, and amazing burst and sustained damage. I feel they are hands down the best class in pvp right now and they mow over warlocks with little to no effort.

Made by dubbelbasse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    That is not, and never has been, even remotely true.
    Actually it is true, both destruction and demonology have been superior 1v1 speces since ages.
    While affliction can do some amazing damage, they require all of their dots up in addition to haunt and channeling malefic grasp.
    In cataclysm on the other hand, they requires dots and haunt aswell to do good damage, in addition to shadow embrace.

Now, while that doesn't sound like such a big deal, many classes can simply control the fight that well, it becomes extremely hard for an affliction warlock to start doing full damage which those other classes could do at the beginning.
    Affliction is all about building up damage and spreading it. In 1v1 scenarios, you won't be spreading damage and once your damage is build up, you are close to death already.

here are my pro tips.

1. when you stop moving put a teleport down
    2. dont take damage
    3. spam damage
    4. little things make big differences - spell lock the free casting mage, fear the free casting holy paladin, curse of enfeeblement everyone
    5. teamwork wins bgs - stay in groups
    6. dont take damage. in all seriousness that is much easier than you think it is, situational awareness is nice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogh View Post
    But clearly you are beyond a noob when you talk about haunt crit damage? I mean lol. It's just silly to comment on damage crits, your damage is reduced just as much as everyone else.
    Making assumptions, are we?

I was just using haunt as an example as it is the most noticeable ability when cast. Comparing haunt to other spells might not be fair though as it also has a dot dmg increase on it. At the time my gear was about as good as everyone else I faced.

Thanks to everyone that replied, I will try destro as it seems to outperform affliction in PvP as well as grab myself a new weapon and then give affli another shot.