Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The hunter and expertise ?

Maybe a stupid question but maybe someone can help me out. Melee need expertise to prevent parry etc. Bosses can only parry from the front. Do hunter's also need to be behind the target since they need expertise also now days ?

Nope, can only be dodged or miss. We used to get blocked but that is no longer the case.

you need to be behind target. you need cus bosses can block your shots

Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post
    No.

10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    No.

10 chars
    yes lol...keep shooting boss in the face then

What are you talking about? Please explain your reasoning.

No they can't.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

You are wrong.

There seems to be no clear answer with any clear reasoning anywhere in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    There seems to be no clear answer with any clear reasoning anywhere in this thread.
    This. I don't know who to believe here.

I'd like to know. I don't know what expertise does, I was under the impression that we need to stand behind bosses now. And askmrrobot prioritizes expertise over hit.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2012-10-04 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post

I'd like to know. I don't know what expertise does, I was under the impression that we need to stand behind bosses now. And askmrrobot prioritizes expertise over hit.
    You don't need to be behind the boss to attack the target, that is ridiculous. Expertise is put into place because all attacks can be dodged and having expertise prevents that. It honestly was put into the game for hunters to have less special itemization (Unique hunter mail, unique enh mail) and so on. It's just to make things easier for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post

Expertise reduces your chance to be dodged and parried, as well as increases spell hit (this is for those melee that use attacks that DO go off spell hit, which is 15%, so they can get 7.5% hit and 7.5% expertise and be capped on all their attacks).

Hunters cannot be parried, and spell hit is irrelevant for us (as far as I know - even if it is relevant, it will be accounted for as I noted above), so the only effect it has is reducing your chance to be dodged. You need 7.5% expertise for level 93 (boss) mobs to no longer dodge you. Melee stand behind bosses primarily to not be parried (which is only from the front) and to avoid cone attacks and the such.

We were able to be blocked prior to MoP, I do not know if this has changed and have not heard anything regarding it. Those that have said we cannot be blocked in this thread have provided no proof, so I see no reason to believe this has changed. If it hasn't, it has always been pretty minor reduction in DPS - yes, you should be behind the target, but not if you have to sacrifice a lot by moving, or put yourself in danger - and other than standing behind, there is nothing else you can do to stop it. I think it was something like a 5% chance to shave 30% off your shot.
    Last edited by Spiralphoenix; 2012-10-04 at 06:12 PM.

i've experienced blocks all throughout cata and wrath, no particular patch notes i've seen relating to this being changed.

Deleted
    Hunters will now need to be expertise capped for dodge, but NOT for parry (hard cap) since ranged cannot be parried, so we doesn't need to stand behind the boss either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Expertise is used to both lower the chance of the enemy Dodging and to lower the chance of enemy Parrying. Since Parrying can only be done from the front, Melee only focus to get to softcap which is to remove the Dodge completely. Hunters don't have to worry about Parry at all, so our hardcap for Expertise is to remove Dodge completely aswell.

Your shots can be blocked, so if you want the maximum dps on a standard tank and spank, you're better off standing behind your target.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeethi View Post
    Your shots can be blocked, so if you want the maximum dps on a standard tank and spank, you're better off standing behind your target.
    Melee attacks can be blocked, if the enemy is capable of such. Ranged attacks can be dodged, but not parried or blocked.
    If you can't accept this from an mmo thread, you should check with Zeherah or perhaps Elitist Jerks, or you could use your own brain and try things out on a target dummy - see if you get parried.
    You'll find the answer is NEVER.
    You'll NEVER see a block, either, unless possibly you unequip your ranged and attempt to melee.

Quote Originally Posted by tyggyr View Post
    Melee attacks can be blocked, if the enemy is capable of such. Ranged attacks can be dodged, but not parried or blocked.
    If you can't accept this from an mmo thread, you should check with Zeherah or perhaps Elitist Jerks, or you could use your own brain and try things out on a target dummy - see if you get parried.
    You'll NEVER see a block, either, unless possibly you unequip your ranged and attempt to melee.
    Has this been changed with respect to block? Because in the past ranged attacks could most certainly be blocked.

again: all throughout wrath and cata, our shots were blockable, what has changed in mop?

Quote Originally Posted by tyggyr View Post
    If you believe that ranged shots have never been able to be blocked, then you are, quite simply, wrong.

Evidence of shots being blocked in ICC-era: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...etting-blocked

I cannot find evidence of it in Cata but I can assure you that it is true.

If you're saying Mists of Pandaria has removed blocks from ranged shots, you need to provide a source.

Also, to add on to what I said earlier about blocks with "5% chance to reduce by 30%", it seems the 5% was correct but the 30% is not. The amount reduced is based on some internal block rating a mob has, and it seems it is typically a very low reduction (much less that 30%).