Gara'jal the Spiritbinder: Disc or Holy?

My guild is going in tonight for Gara'jal the Spiritbinder, and I'm considering going Holy, but at the same time, the cooldowns I bring to the raid as Disc seem to be helping. I'm aware of the totem damage on tanks ignoring Sheilds and Absorbs.

In the few pulls we did last night, damage in the burn phase was killing us every time. We made it there fine, but the damage from the spirit realm seemed to be too much. We are running a Mistweaver Monk, Restoration Shaman, and myself. I'm aware of the totem damage on tanks ignoring Sheilds and Absorbs. Keeping the tanks up haven't really been too difficult, it's been the raid overall.

Here's my current gear: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Espeon/simple

So I guess what I'm asking is, which would be better for me and the raid overall? I don't play Holy too often, and haven't since the beginning of 4.1, but if it's what's better for the raid, I could definitely practice until raid time, and hopefully have better throughput.
    I just started doing "Let's Play" videos on YouTube. If you are into that kind of thing, please check it out and subscribe if you like it!

Disc by a long shot. Healing is a joke pre-burn so attonement will be the majority of your healing. If damage in burn phase is wiping the raid, your raid needs to do a better job of killing the adds in the spirit world.

You can stack during burn phase and a PW:B will help out a ton, coupled with other raid CDs.

Sounds good.

Hopefully more will reply. I'd like to get the opinion of a few people.

Also, I've currently reforged/regemmed/enchanted for Holy, and am spec'd as Holy. All of the gear is still the same, and is better itemized for Disc.
    I just started doing "Let's Play" videos on YouTube. If you are into that kind of thing, please check it out and subscribe if you like it!

Deleted
    You should be disc on gajarat. Every point of damage that gets absorbed on the voodoo tank is multiplied 3 times on 10 man and 4 times on 25man in value, since it reduces the damage taken by the raid. Only about 1/3rd of the damage taken by the tanks ignores absorbs.

Reducing the damage taken means your healers/tanks have more mana and cooldowns available for the burn phase.

Like the rest say I would go disc, but on the other hand the fight has barely any damage so I don't think it really matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't want to be disc. This fight is currently two-healed due to lacking gear, thus causing low raid dps. Unless the raid deals intense numbers, you will need to two heal it. You want two healers who can pull heal 3 players to max health in 10 seconds.

I would wholeheartedly agree that Disc is superior to Holy for this encounter. The free 20-25k DPS you should be able to manage is very very useful. Plus Pain Sup and Barrier are stronger CD's on this fight because of Voodoo dolls and the ability of the raid to stack.

If you're having trouble healing people up fast enough, try speccing into from darkness comes light - should be able to have two instant flash heals queued for every phase if you're smiting the rest of the time. And don't forget about binding heal - it's the most efficient spell for either spec for healing yourself and one other target.

And you don't need to be mana efficient at all in there because of the buff so bear that in mind. Fast, expensive heals are fine.

Deleted
    We managed to kill him yesterday with a holy priest (me) and a holy paladin. Healing was pretty easy, the only thing we had some problems with was beating the enrage timer (6 minutes). Anyway, I just had make sure to have Divine Hymn and a Lightspring ready in the final phase. Divine Star works great in this fight by the way.

We killed it with a Holy Priest (me) and a Mistweaver Monk. Seemed fairly easy. Healing gets a bit tough at the end but you should be dumping your entire mana pool, something Holy is quite good at.

Went in their last night and killed him on our second pull. First one we had a hic-up so I don't even really count it as a pull.

Anyways, what skribblez32 said ended up proving to be the case last night. Attonement was my highest healing done at the end of the fight. Even the burn phase, I only had to throw out heals sub 10%. I did end up switching to Holy for Elegon, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decca View Post
    You don't want to be disc. This fight is currently two-healed due to lacking gear, thus causing low raid dps. Unless the raid deals intense numbers, you will need to two heal it. You want two healers who can pull heal 3 players to max health in 10 seconds.
    So you mean disc. Stack grace before you start. Pop desperate prayer on yourself (heatth stone if you have it) PI/AA and go to town with inner focus + flash heal (guranted crit which will top one person up) and then you have 1s binding heal/FH for nearly 90k. I heal a 5man group to full in about 9s. Saying that holy is better is an absolute joke. You just don't know what to do with disc.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=9192&e=9524

Click on my name (shaarra) to see who is doing the most healing at the very end of the fight when we pop hero. With PI during hero I have close to 80% haste, because of the way haste buffs stack now. Spirit shell followed by archangel and for 20s I am blowing 120k HPS at the raid. 15s spirit shell, 18s archangel, 8s barrier and by then he is practically dead.

I have 40m absorbs on the tanks, which is 120m less damage on the rest of the voodoo dolls. Especially when the druid is tanking the voodoo dolls take no damage at all.

Holy single target healing does not hold a candle to disc ST healing.

the damage int he outside realm seem too high to just use atonement, I think that's our group though.

and along with up to 4 people in the shadow realm at once just makes poh seem like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc12 View Post
    So you mean disc. Stack grace before you start. Pop desperate prayer on yourself (heatth stone if you have it) PI/AA and go to town with inner focus + flash heal (guranted crit which will top one person up) and then you have 1s binding heal/FH for nearly 90k. I heal a 5man group to full in about 9s. Saying that holy is better is an absolute joke. You just don't know what to do with disc.

So I was reading this over the weekend and it definitley helped me with Disc Healing. My throughput was completely different than our previous attempts. I was wondering your thoughts on healing the DPS in the spirit world. When I get in there I tend to throw a bubble on the tank before entering the world for Borrowed Time buff, then penance to stack Grace, then Inner Focus+Greater Heal on one of the DPS which usually will get them to 90ish, then binding heal to finish off if needed. I then binding heal the second DPS until 100%. What are your thoughts on that?

Secondly, I am having trouble simply smiting and holy firing on the outside for healing purposes. I am inclined to believe that it is a problem with too many adds being up. Just want to know your thoughts. Yesterday our closest attempt was down to 2%, so I'm just trying to fine tune. Thanks

Absolutely positively go disc for this fight. It is very very easy to heal as disc, follow this rotation: As soon as voodoo goes out, pop SS and stack up a huge-ass shield on the voodoo'd tank. Make sure to refresh it as late as you can to maximize the duration. He only does the hits that ignore absorbs rarely, so they're not really much to worry about. Once SS wears off, immediately shield the tank, and spam Heal (or Flash if you've got mana to spare) on the tank to knock weakened soul off. Normally, after I throw that shield after the SS wears off, I go into the spirit realm, blow PI and spam binding heal on the 2 DPS in there. Penance gives 3 stacks of the buff as well, so use that on CD. Once you pop out of the spirit realm, SS should be up again, and you should be at full mana. Save your mana CD's in case you get voodoo'd and can;t go into the spirit realm. If so, keep shield up on the voovoo tank as much as possible, and shield the other 2 voodoo targets whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KidCanuck View Post
    Absolutely positively go disc for this fight. It is very very easy to heal as disc, follow this rotation: As soon as voodoo goes out, pop SS and stack up a huge-ass shield on the voodoo'd tank. Make sure to refresh it as late as you can to maximize the duration. He only does the hits that ignore absorbs rarely, so they're not really much to worry about. Once SS wears off, immediately shield the tank, and spam Heal (or Flash if you've got mana to spare) on the tank to knock weakened soul off. Normally, after I throw that shield after the SS wears off, I go into the spirit realm, blow PI and spam binding heal on the 2 DPS in there. Penance gives 3 stacks of the buff as well, so use that on CD. Once you pop out of the spirit realm, SS should be up again, and you should be at full mana. Save your mana CD's in case you get voodoo'd and can;t go into the spirit realm. If so, keep shield up on the voovoo tank as much as possible, and shield the other 2 voodoo targets whenever possible.
    This is excellent advice. I will share with my priest heals for tonight's raid. TYVM

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    This is excellent advice. I will share with my priest heals for tonight's raid. TYVM
    I agree that using spirit shell to put a huge ass bubble on the tank is pretty clever, especially considering the short CD of it. I never thought of it. I usually SS whenever I get stuck staying out of spirit realm to help keep raid up, but because of short CD I should still be able to do that. Thanks for the advice. I too PW:S the tank and the other marked Voodoo dolls players whenever possible. Once the DPS is fully healed I throw hots on them to stack the buff that way before going back in to normal realm to help with heals.