Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darael View Post
    How do I know this? I left EA recently and worked in management.
    Yes. This must be true. Because I believe everything anyone posts on the internet as being 100% complete fact at all times.

Just remember that when you hate so much at a company like EA, you are trashing the thousands of people who work really hard to make you great games. If you can do better, get an education and join the company or make your own.
    Nobody is hating the "thousands of people who work really hard to make games". We're hating on the management behind EA, the suits. The guys who don't know shit about making games beyond how to sign a check and hire people. The fact of the matter is that EA has destroyed pretty much every studio that it's bought up. It's pretty much destroyed every great franchise that it bought up. EA hasn't created a decent intellectual property in years. It's a cash machine, churning out shit for the bare minimum in order to create more money. Why did they pay the NFLPA for exclusivity? Because they knew that 2K was starting to take a chunk of their Madden business with a better product. So instead of spending more money to make a better product, they monopolized the market and continued making trash. That has nothing to do with the fine folks who change the names and numbers on the jerseys from Madden '12 and repackage it as Madden '13. That's on management for not having the desire to create a good product.

If you can do better, get an education and join the company or make your own.
    Nah, I'd rather EA just get boycotted into nonexistence.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember that when you hate so much at a company like EA, you are trashing the thousands of people who work really hard to make you great games.
    Great games? Yes please let me have another Generic Sports Game 27 please. And another ridiculously priced Sims 'expansion'. And BF3 DLC...arguably your best current game that you saw fit to destroy in order to make more profit.

Please give me half-assed, terrible content, in order to try and have more of my money.

No thank you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i blame the co founders for selling out in the first place. they managed to produce quality games before ea's money. it reeks of greed and greed will ultimately lead to your downfall.

that being said, im still playing it and still having a good time. to each their own

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    i blame the co founders for selling out in the first place. they managed to produce quality games before ea's money. it reeks of greed and greed will ultimately lead to your downfall.

that being said, im still playing it and still having a good time. to each their own
    They didn't sell out to EA. If you want to say they sold out, it was to Elevation Partners, who invested in them and Pandemic, creating their merger. 2 years later, Elevation sold them off to EA. Coincidentally, John Riccitiello was once CEO of Elevation Partners before becoming CEO of EA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Daniel's gone too? Geesh... The heads just keep rolling. Seriously, is anyone from the original crew left?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by davispunx View Post
    I hear this alot. That EA promised this game would be a "game changer" but haven't really read this anywhere and ive followed TOR since about 2009.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 12:46 PM ----------

Like for example, here is something from Bioware in 2008:

The game is a "story-based MMO" according to Kotaku’s liveblog of the event. "Something very different and very familiar," according to Dr. Greg Zeschuk, co-founder of BioWare.

Which is arguably true

Source:
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/10/lucasarts-revea/
    Ask you and you shall receive:

"BioWare Austin, the developer behind the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic, may have just lost a general manager, but work on the first-ever MMO from BioWare continues and Electronic Arts couldn't be more bullish about the title's prospects. While speaking at the Goldman Sachs conference, EA CEO John Riccitiello briefly touched upon the difference between what his company and BioWare are doing in the MMO market and what Blizzard has done with WoW to this point.

Ultimately, Riccitiello sees the Star Wars universe as a big differentiator and he envisions BioWare's MMO taking a healthy part of the MMO market away from WoW. That's a tall order, even for a developer as hugely talented as BioWare is.

"We're going right at it. We want share, we want leadership position here," affirmed Riccitiello. "I'm not expecting to sort of knock them over, but ... we're gonna get a big chunk of [their market]."

Riccitiello also commented that the acting and dialogue in The Old Republic will make WoW look like a "silent movie" by comparison.

"In a way, theirs is a silent movie and ours is the first talkie," he said. "By and large, theirs is not a voiced MMO. Ours is a fully voiced MMO in multiple languages."

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/w...ublic-says-ea/

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    And BF3 DLC...arguably your best current game that you saw fit to destroy in order to make more profit.
    ?
    didn't play bf3 in a while so not keeping up with the news, I do know bf3 has dlc released and to be released, but BF games always had "expansion packs" the first had 2 and bf2 had 3, so dlc is hardly surprising or some radical new shift with the game series

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    ?
    didn't play bf3 in a while so not keeping up with the news, I do know bf3 has dlc released and to be released, but BF games always had "expansion packs" the first had 2 and bf2 had 3, so dlc is hardly surprising or some radical new shift with the game series
    Trust me. These do not count as DLC. And there are already 5. The game came out less than a year ago. Additionally, they pulled the standard EA move to launch with DLC. Most people got this included with a preorder, but still day one DLC.

Also, other than that initial Kark map pack, the rest are garbage. Then they introduced a way to pay to upgrade all your weapons instead of leveling them by playing the game.Plus there's the BF3 Premium service...which knocks off COD Elite. They are both terrible, terrible ideas.

This guy was the face of Swtor for me, he was present in alot of youtube interviews more so than James Ohlen, I felt he was passionate about the game and he was trully a Star wars geek.

I loved his input on the guild summit more than everyone else, sad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    This guy was the face of Swtor for me, he was present in alot of youtube interviews more so than James Ohlen, I felt he was passionate about the game and he was trully a Star wars geek.

I loved his input on the guild summit more than everyone else, sad to see him go.
    I remember being so hyped after guild summit, sad to see that tons of ideas haven't been realised (guild mail anyone?)....

Deleted
    Bioware is falling apart it seems, pre-EA merger they seemed they cant do no wrong but DA2,ME2,ME3,SWTOR did hurt they reputation among hardcore fans a lot

I just think that tons of people which played SWTOR never actually played any of the original Bioware games. I mean, while playing BG1 or 2... did anyone ever think about endgame/ leveling through or did you just take the game level by level and was not the story more important than your current level? People powered through SWTOR in the first week and started complaining bout the lacking/ bugged endgame

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    I remember being so hyped after guild summit, sad to see that tons of ideas haven't been realised (guild mail anyone?)....
    Guild Summit was such a stupid waste of money, imo. It really was nothing more than a "we haven't forgotten about you guys" stunt. I honestly don't see what they did at the Summit they couldn't have done in an online conference or just through forums.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 08:24 PM ----------

I just think that tons of people which played SWTOR never actually played any of the original Bioware games. I mean, while playing BG1 or 2... did anyone ever think about endgame/ leveling through or did you just take the game level by level and was not the story more important than your current level? People powered through SWTOR in the first week and started complaining bout the lacking/ bugged endgame
    SWTOR is an MMORPG. Baldur's Gate is not. Comparing the two is just stupid, because MMORPGs are supposed to keep us playing at the endgame if they want our $15/month, which is why endgame is so important in a game like that. You could power through other Bioware games and be done with it in a week, and it wouldn't matter anymore because they're not MMORPGs.

And honestly, you can't blame it all on people powering through the first week. If that was the reason, then the game wouldn't have died down after months and months. You could've reached level 50 in a month and you'd still have the same problems.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-10-07 at 12:25 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Guild Summit was such a stupid waste of money, imo. It really was nothing more than a "we haven't forgotten about you guys" stunt. I honestly don't see what they did at the Summit they couldn't have done in an online conference or just through forums.
    I think the idea of bringing guilds in direct contact with a games developers is a brilliant idea, more personal, more "we are part of" feeling. However you can't make promises, satisfy people there and never actually deliver.

SWTOR is an MMORPG. Baldur's Gate is not. Comparing the two is just stupid, because MMORPGs are supposed to keep us playing at the endgame if they want our $15/month, which is why endgame is so important in a game like that. You could power through other Bioware games and be done with it in a week, and it wouldn't matter anymore because they're not MMORPGs.
    It's not that stupid if you know what Bioware is known for. It's not know for great MMO's because they never really made one but it's know for the story. I'm not saying that SWTOR doesn't need endgame because BG2 was almost finished when you hit your final level.

And honestly, you can't blame it all on people powering through the first week. If that was the reason, then the game wouldn't have died down after months and months. You could've reached level 50 in a month and you'd still have the same problems.
    I think the amount of people powering through MMO's just to jump to the next one is growing constantly per year because instead of sticking to one game you just pick the best pieces and move on when something else comes out. Another thing is that SWTOR is nothing new... there are some features which separate this game from others but they are not that big to really make a difference for people to keep them in the long run. For the raid/ pvp community, there was not enough endgame/ bugged endgame/ too easy endgame and no solution for endgame pvp at all (as illum was never a solution but only a try which horribly failed). If they had had 2-3 raidzones with 4 bosses each for the first stage of raidprogression and had acutally had world pvp or something similar, the numbers would be vastly different and they wouldn't even had to change the gearing system (random battlemaster boxes).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the idea of bringing guilds in direct contact with a games developers is a brilliant idea, more personal, more "we are part of" feeling. However you can't make promises, satisfy people there and never actually deliver.
    It was a waste of money. It clearly didn't help the bottom line, which they thought it would. Having a few special snowflakes over for tea doesn't make your game better.
    It's not that stupid if you know what Bioware is known for. It's not know for great MMO's because they never really made one but it's know for the story. I'm not saying that SWTOR doesn't need endgame because BG2 was almost finished when you hit your final level.
    It is stupid. Most people who played this game have possibly never even played a Bioware game. I wager that the percentage of people who were SW fans, avid MMO players, or a combination of both was much larger than people who played Bioware games. Additionally, the MMO market was who they were targeting. They didn't target BG players, sorry.
    I think the amount of people powering through MMO's just to jump to the next one is growing constantly per year because instead of sticking to one game you just
    There's more competition than ever. They picked a bad time to release an unfinished product in order to try and capture the market before the big releases came out. They had a year's head start that could have been massive if released properly. EA pushed too little, too soon.

I really hope that this trend doesn't continue within the main studio of Bioware, or the developer might actually get worse and not bring out the great single player RPGs that they used to.

And I SO LOVE great single player RPGs, was really looking forward to a great new one by Bioware.

Btw: Why is it that EA always seems to destroy (hoping this is not gonna include Bioware) my favorite RPG and RTS developers, the 2 genres I absolutely love and aren't even fit for the big console market ?

Wouldn't it make more sense for EA to just cannabalize FPS and racing game developers ?

Please, EA, stay away from the few good RTS and RPG developers left out there !

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    He had "actively looking for new opportunities" in his Linkedin account for around a month, not surprised he left (or was let go, since that's kinda like, super unprofessional).

How many of the original senior staff are even left >.>
    It was probably already decided that he would leave - one way or the other.

There was no point to do it. As we've seen, most of their promises from that event never really pushed through, and it's not a big even like Blizzcon since it's limited to just those guilds they invited.

Nobody here is saying that TOR had bad story, but story only lasts for so long. After you get to max level, you're going to need some decent content. They made the game an MMORPG, so people were expecting an MMORPG.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Right, exactly. The negative backlash directed at BioWare comes from two sources, the first being that the EA/BioWare combo always overhypes their games - their PR department only pushes hype upwards, they do very little to curb out-of-control anticipations that they themselves created. Of course that's going to lead to disappointed and ticked off fans.

The second source of negative backlash is the fact that BioWare moved on. They're not the same company that made Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and KotOR, nor do they make the same type of games any more. Yet, as they didn't really inform their fans about this, it has created a schism in their own community. There are a lot of people who expect them to make games they no longer make, intermixed with people who have fully embraced the new BioWare. This makes for a volatile community, putting it lightly.
    I could not disagree with that more. I enjoyed TOR completlely for what it was, a single player game. I probably will go on to enjoy it in the future, granted I haven't played in months.

I always think back to pre-release when they enticed fans of KOTOR by saying: "TOR will be like KOTOR 3, 4, 5"
    Boy they weren't kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Btw: Why is it that EA always seems to destroy (hoping this is not gonna include Bioware) my favorite RPG and RTS developers, the 2 genres I absolutely love and aren't even fit for the big console market ?
    It's their desperation for a profitable MMO as far as I see it, EA has failed getting one off the ground since MCO, SWTOR is their best attempt at it so far but I think we can all agree that it isn't even close to living up to their desires.