Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Affliction locks - what DPS you are able to push out?

    Hello,

    I am just wondering what kind of DPS you are pushing out? What ilvl gear you are with?

    I am with 462 and doing between 50-60k, what about you?

  2. #2
    Well 366 ilvl here and I simply don't get what I am doing wrong.. Went to Mogu'shan Vaults last night and even though I would agree that Affli did give me the most consistent numbers, I was only pushing around 38-40k with periods around 41-42k.. I am hit capped and fulled enchanted and have reforged all crit left over to haste.

    what are you doing to reach that dps, or is it during HC's / target dummy?

  3. #3
    Use www.worldoflogs.com to see what damage classes/specs are doing.

    Reforge & gem full mastery, not intellect. Ditch windsong until it's fixed, make sure your trinkets are actually proccing.(ie. the alchemist stone is bugged atm).
    And don't waste haunt if your dots have less than 10 sec left. While haunt is up, you need to spam MG/DS for the full duration, else it's a DPS loss.

    I did 65k on 1st, 63k on 2nd and 66k on third boss in Mogu.
    Last edited by Xenocastra; 2012-10-04 at 06:12 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Trankebar View Post
    Well 366 ilvl here and I simply don't get what I am doing wrong.. Went to Mogu'shan Vaults last night and even though I would agree that Affli did give me the most consistent numbers, I was only pushing around 38-40k with periods around 41-42k.. I am hit capped and fulled enchanted and have reforged all crit left over to haste.

    what are you doing to reach that dps, or is it during HC's / target dummy?
    What boss are you talking about? Stone Guard? I pulled 64k with 361 il by putting up dots on the two dogs and just keeping them rolling the whole time, switching when the dogs switch. Soul Swapping to new dogs and putting up a haunt whenever I had more than 2 shards. Feng is just single target.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 07:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocastra View Post
    Use www.worldoflogs.com to see what damage classes/specs are doing.

    Reforge & gem full mastery, not intellect. Ditch windsong until it's fixed, make sure your trinkets are actually proccing.(ie. the alchemist stone is bugged atm).
    And don't waste haunt if your dots have less than 10 sec left. While haunt is up, you need to spam MG/DS for the full duration, else it's a DPS loss.

    I did 65k on 1st, 63k on 2nd and 66k on third boss in Mogu.
    Why Mastery? Also the Alchemists stone is working for me, the buff is just says 'increases intellect'. Lastly what enchant replaces Windsong?

  5. #5
    Blademaster Ratcliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocastra View Post
    Use www.worldoflogs.com to see what damage classes/specs are doing.

    Reforge & gem full mastery, not intellect. Ditch windsong until it's fixed, make sure your trinkets are actually proccing.(ie. the alchemist stone is bugged atm).
    And don't waste haunt if your dots have less than 10 sec left. While haunt is up, you need to spam MG/DS for the full duration, else it's a DPS loss.

    I did 65k on 1st, 63k on 2nd and 66k on third boss in Mogu.
    Mastery eh? Why do I even bother with EJ and noxxic and all those sites telling me haste is the way to go?

    I'll try it out tomorrow.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Because EJ, Noxxic and all those sites are telling you their stat weight based on a BiS list (typically T14H).
    All equipment are different, so a chest piece can have a lot of mastery and no haste, so the "BiS list" would recommend you to go full haste in your reforge.

    So, remember to read those guides with a grain of salt, they are usually right, but must be put in context.
    I would recommend you to try to understand "why" mastery and haste are so important, what are their cap, and improve your gear to reach them.

    Or simply use AskMrRobot (remember askmr devaluate hit by A LOT) or reforgelite.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
    Because EJ, Noxxic and all those sites are telling you their stat weight based on a BiS list (typically T14H).
    All equipment are different, so a chest piece can have a lot of mastery and no haste, so the "BiS list" would recommend you to go full haste in your reforge.

    So, remember to read those guides with a grain of salt, they are usually right, but must be put in context.
    I would recommend you to try to understand "why" mastery and haste are so important, what are their cap, and improve your gear to reach them.

    Or simply use AskMrRobot (remember askmr devaluate hit by A LOT) or reforgelite.
    But Mastery gems better than Intellect? I wouldn't think that's right...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trankebar View Post
    Well 366 ilvl here and I simply don't get what I am doing wrong.. Went to Mogu'shan Vaults last night and even though I would agree that Affli did give me the most consistent numbers, I was only pushing around 38-40k with periods around 41-42k.. I am hit capped and fulled enchanted and have reforged all crit left over to haste.

    what are you doing to reach that dps, or is it during HC's / target dummy?


    May I have your armory?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlsi View Post
    But Mastery gems better than Intellect? I wouldn't think that's right...
    Well, good question. I cannot imagine a way where pure mastery will surclass intel. So I guess the good way to read his sentence is :
    "Don't gemm full intel, try to balance with mastery and get the socket bonus" but I can't be sure.

    But for me, gemming full mastery is as dumb as gemming full int. Only the math tells the truth

  10. #10
    Sure ! (eu.battle.net)/wow/en/character/mazrigos/Nekrotic/simple - it wont let me post links just yet, so just remove the brackets.

    Please disregard my glyphs, I know what glyphs to use but during the raid last night I had a quick respec to affli and thus didn't get to apply the right glyphs.. Though those glyphs shouldn't account for a 20k dps increase? ^^ I might argue though, that the glyph of soulswap would've increased my dps by a fair amount.

    So should I take this as I should go and reforge around for mastery instead? Would be awesome to hit the 60-70k dps that others are doing.. Please feel free to comment all around, not a veteran lock here so I need the help I can get.

    Also, it was mentioned to enchant something else than windsong, what to enchant instead then?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocastra View Post
    Use www.worldoflogs.com to see what damage classes/specs are doing.

    Reforge & gem full mastery, not intellect. Ditch windsong until it's fixed, make sure your trinkets are actually proccing.(ie. the alchemist stone is bugged atm).
    And don't waste haunt if your dots have less than 10 sec left. While haunt is up, you need to spam MG/DS for the full duration, else it's a DPS loss.

    I did 65k on 1st, 63k on 2nd and 66k on third boss in Mogu.
    Hello, as Iam currently also playing around with affli I would have a question:

    You stated to not apply hount when you have less then 10 sec left. My assumption on this would be to reapply your dots go for haunt and MG/DS the shit out of the target ? Or let use haunt when you reapply your dots after the 10 sec ?

    Thank you

    Btw 452 Ilvl doing about 41 - 43 K

  12. #12
    I ran some simulations when I was in 467 gear, and from what I found, it seems haste is better than mastery by a pretty significant amount until you hit around 4-4,5k haste, at which point mastery becomes better. Int however, remains more than twice as good as haste and mastery at these gear levels, which means we should gem that. You would have to sim your own char and calculate the stat values to find out if gelming Int/hit and Int/Haste or mastery for the socket bonuses are better or not. At T14 HC gear, mastery gemming will become better.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlsi View Post
    Why Mastery? Also the Alchemists stone is working for me, the buff is just says 'increases intellect'. Lastly what enchant replaces Windsong?
    The double ratings on the new gems simply outweigh the intellect. (320 rating vs 160 primary stat)

    Alchemist stone has major proccing issues for affliction. Power torrent replaces windsong because of the same reason, unless you have access to the mogu revered enchant.

    Why mastery>haste? They're actually equal(if your simcraft tells you haste is far better, it's because you are damn near a haste plateau), except that mastery works alot better on multidotting, of which there is plenty atm. Regardless, a guild mate of mine is full haste, same gear, and we're pulling equal DPS, with me pulling slightly ahead on multiple target fights. You can't really go wrong wrong. As mentioned above, mastery becomes better as you close in on T14 HC gear.
    Last edited by Xenocastra; 2012-10-04 at 04:03 PM.

  14. #14
    Here http://worldoflogs.com/reports/umvwc...?s=9476&e=9804 is what our damage looked like last night in the closest fight that has a patchwork style. Too bad my Powerauras broke halfway through and it was putting up dots blindly >.<
    Cyner#1996

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyner View Post
    Here http://worldoflogs.com/reports/umvwc...?s=9476&e=9804 is what our damage looked like last night in the closest fight that has a patchwork style. Too bad my Powerauras broke halfway through and it was putting up dots blindly >.<
    Geez, 3 affliction locks, usually that one demo or destro player :P I'm guessing if your power auras didn't break you'd be at around 58-59kish if not 60s (not sure how much of a benefit it is for you, I know for me it's my life XD).

  16. #16
    First 4 bosses (I did as hit-capped)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zctx1a7btkm04wie/

    Last 2 bosses (I did stacking haste and mastery and ignoring hit cap)

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m8juk2g4ugvpif1g/


    On a related note, I've never casted soulburn so much as on the last fight in there. I think I casted it at least 60 times on the kill

  17. #17
    Hey, I'm one of the people behind Ask Mr. Robot. We've done a lot of research and see these questions a lot, so I wanted to jump in.

    1. As Xenocastra pointed out - SimC will make it seem that haste is better or equal to mastery, but Mastery works better with multidotting. We also got the same results from SimC, and we also put mastery above haste since burning targets with AoE heavily favors Mastery.

    2. Shauni points out that a lot of people provide stat weights that are generated off a BiS set of gear. At AskMrRobot, we wrote a program that interfaces with SimC: it runs through all sorts of gear levels with various stat weights until it converges on a stable set of weights. We then evaluate those weights to make sure they make sense. And in the case of Affliction locks, we decided Mastery is > Haste because of the point made above.

    3. Regarding Mr. Robot devaluing hit. You actually gain DPS by valuing other stats higher with an Affliction lock. But, we know a LOT of people really want to be hit capped so we recently added in a hit cap preset. Just click on the drop down box in the action bar and choose "PVE Hit Cap Build."
    Here's a link to the default AMR stat weights for Nekrotic: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/4...5-a08eaac34046
    Here's a link to the HIT CAP build: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...9-410255f4dd74

    Lastly, I recently posted some more info about how Ask Mr. Robot works, where we get our weights, etc. You can find that info here: http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2012/10/h...ptimizer-work/
    Optimize your gear on AskMrRobot.com
    From Mr. Robot: Find the best gear in your bags, help & faq, and Preview our combat log tool.
    Mr. Robot is also on Twitter

  18. #18
    Dreadlord kushlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    927
    Waiting for those destro buffs.....I really dislike affliction personally even though the rotation is a lot smoother then it was in cata and actually flows now.

    Not trying to derail I just prefer the other 2 specs
    Last edited by kushlol; 2012-10-04 at 09:59 PM.

    Made by dubbelbasse

  19. #19
    Level 88, hit: 4.49% (lol), reg dungeons...I pull usually 28-32k. I miss a lot on the bosses, but do not care enough yet to reforge/enchant anything. I have no enchants, no tinkers (engy). I am aff spec with w/ ilvl 413.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 10:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    First 4 bosses (I did as hit-capped)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zctx1a7btkm04wie/

    Last 2 bosses (I did stacking haste and mastery and ignoring hit cap)

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m8juk2g4ugvpif1g/


    On a related note, I've never casted soulburn so much as on the last fight in there. I think I casted it at least 60 times on the kill
    That kinda makes me sad.. you were only high on the dmg done on like 2 fights there (downed bosses). I thought that aff was looking like a top dps spec among all classes? Of course, one player doesn't seal the deal, but the other logs I have seen show the same thing.

  20. #20
    The first 6 fights I was experimenting with being at hit-cap, while the last two fights (which I did considerably more damage on) was under hit cap and stacking haste/mastery.

    Also there's a significant difference between affliction simming great and it's damage output in raids or on more than one target. Affliction is great at sustained multi-dotting where there's ample time to regen shards via drain-soul (last boss in there is a GREAT example of abusing drain soul for 4 shard regen), but on quick adds or fights where there is a decent amount of AoE affliction will fall behind other specs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •