Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Spec for Elegon?

My 10man put in only ~30minutes on Elegon last night and I was having issues as frost.

The most frustrating thing is that, because Elegon is floating just above the ground, my water elemental's freeze does not hit him and I lose my FoF proc from that, unless I wait for the add(protector) to spawn, which makes me wait to cast freeze for 5-10seconds.

DPS-wise, I've been 2nd-highest damage on the first four bosses, but near the bottom on this fight.

It could be that I'm not handling my Touch of the Titans buff properly. I am typically only going up to 6-8 stacks before dropping my buff to put less strain on the healers.

I'm running with Invocation, but I'm thinking incanter's might be a better choice for this boss.

I've also been using frost bomb, although I'm thinking about switching to another bomb that's instant cast so that I can refresh it while running out to reset my stacks.

Any mages who have downed Elegon have any advice for me?

Haven't downed it yet but close. 25m. I save my pet freeze for the protector. Should be able to reset at 8-10 stacks. 6 is too soon. Not a whole lot of movement if you stand right by the edge so I've been going with Rune of Power. Frost Bombs fine because it'll explode on the add and then you have a FFB proc. It's reliable.

This is the one fight I want to legit try Arcane on. I think Arcane would be really good for mowing down energy charges, if the mana regen is sufficient. Also thinking of using Invocation because this is a fight without much movement and a need for burst DPS with energy charge. So if anyone's tried Arcane/Invocation for this fight I'd love to hear from you.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2012-10-04 at 06:42 AM.

I've been frost for the first 4 fights this tier.

We went in about an hour of attempts last night on Elegon.

I'm actually thinking the same thing as MrExcelion... this might be the fight to go Arcane on, BUT looking through WoL, there have been no mages to down this on 25 as arcane.

Regardless of the spec, I think that Living Bomb and Glyphed Fireblast are the way to go for this fight.

Did about 20ish pulls on Elegon as Arcane and it was pretty miserable. Went Fire and did far better overall. The only thing I can see Arcane was suited for was killing energy charges, hitting it with a 6 stack AB, 2 AM's and a Barrage would absolutely wreck it, but we didn't have any issues with getting charges down, so it wasn't necessary.

I've done the first 4 fights as Arcane, but this one just isn't suited for it. Fire's great for putting in great damage on Elegon while needing to do other things like protectors or during phase 3.

I didn't have much issue with killing the charges as frost, especially since I can cleave with glyph of ice lance and hit two charges when they spawn. However, we were only killing 4 sets of charges on the first charge phase, and we will probably bump it up to 5-6 sets tonight.

I might try the fight as fire and see how that goes, but I'm not sure I'd be able to kill the charges as fast as fire as I do frost.

Looks like top logs for mages on elegon show fire doing >100k dps:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...10N/Fire_Mage/
    Last edited by LET JIMMY RAID; 2012-10-04 at 06:34 PM.

I don't fully understand why Arcane is bad for Elegon. little movement, good cleave for frostbomb/6stack arcane barrage and reliable dmg on energy charges/protectors. I don't disagree that fire would be the best of the 3 specs for it, but I don't see how arcane is piss-poor on this fight?

I have yet to try out this fight for myself but if arcane is lacking in this fight then I would have to think Fire would be the spec I would try it with. The limited use of Freeze would provide a big enough reason for me to try something else. I have yet to try Arcane in a raid and am a bit disappointed to hear from DreamSpyre that it is so behind Fire and Frost. I figured it was behind but I didnt know it would be miserable.

pet freeze and frozen orb are both broken on elegon. That really only leaves fire as the spec to go, since elegon is very movement intense for arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tezra View Post
    I don't fully understand why Arcane is bad for Elegon. little movement, good cleave for frostbomb/6stack arcane barrage and reliable dmg on energy charges/protectors. I don't disagree that fire would be the best of the 3 specs for it, but I don't see how arcane is piss-poor on this fight?
    In Phase 1, and especially the burn Arcane is fine, Little to no movement whatsoever, It's even decent in Phase 2 for killing Charges, but you're going to lose some damage on Elegon in between the charges as Arcane compared to fire, if your guild has trouble killing charges, by all means be Arcane. My guild didn't have any trouble getting 5 waves without using any cooldowns at all, so I wasn't needed as Arcane. Phase 3 for Arcane is okay as well, but killing the Sparks is harder. I also, and I don't know if anyone else had the same issue, had TONS of problems with Rune of Power on this fight. Dropping it in the shield would cause it to bug out a LOT where I would be standing in it after stepping out to reset stacks and would not receive the benefit of it, recasting it that many times was a huge dps loss. Invocation or IW just didn't work for Arcane on Elegon. Fire increased my overall dps at least 10k, sometimes as high as 20k on some pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sills View Post
    I have yet to try out this fight for myself but if arcane is lacking in this fight then I would have to think Fire would be the spec I would try it with. The limited use of Freeze would provide a big enough reason for me to try something else. I have yet to try Arcane in a raid and am a bit disappointed to hear from DreamSpyre that it is so behind Fire and Frost. I figured it was behind but I didnt know it would be miserable.
    Arcane has been just fine in the tier so far, just not for Elegon. It's not on the level of Fire, but it's still decent. Last I checked I had top 3 parses on each of the first 4 as Arcane, and I know I can do at least 10-15k more to be competitive with Fire/Frost, Arcane just requires more practice in the fight to really learn how to maximize dps time, Fire and Frost aren't as bad in that regard.

I'm running fire with invocation on Elegon and doing pretty good dps but I'm wondering would it be more efficient to Evo outside or inside of circle?

Did quite a few attempts tonight as arcane, and I didn't have any problems with RoP not being active while resetting stacks. I just came across WoL now and see that there are now 3 mages as arcane who killed it (same guild) and they used nether tempest, and it did quite a significant amount of damage, and did not glyph fire blast, trying to see what exactly they did in order for it to do that much dmg.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play...N/Arcane_Mage/

Yeah, I was just coming in to say whatever issue I had with Rune last night was nonexistant tonight. Either a hotfix or my own idiocy =p

Three arcane mages must have absolutely destroyed those waves, I'd really like to know how many stacks they went to.

Did a few attempts tonight as fire, but didn't have all of our main raiders online so we didn't down it. Definitely did higher numbers than frost the previous night. Was using PoM, temporal shield, frost ward for the adds in the pylon phase, cauterize, and incanter's ward.

The only thing I was having an issue with was that my dots wouldn't always spread to the protector off of Elegon unless the add was directly underneath Elegon (again, probably because Elegon is floating in the air). Not a huge issue since we have our melee take down the add since they're running out to reset their stacks anyways.

I'm wondering if it might be worth it to unglyph combustion for this fight. Even though combustion would be weaker overall, I'd be able to cast is more times while Elegon has higher stacks, plus we were having a slight problem with the adds in the pylon phase not dying fast enough. However, since there's now a cap on combustion spreading, I suppose it's not TOO beneficial.

Deleted
    Looks like top logs for mages on elegon show fire doing >100k dps:
    Oh~ world 3.. didn't expect something like that. I was Fire on this boss (and all other bosses in this instance). Going with lb and invocation. Invocation is perfect for this boss. U can use it everytime when the add do raiddmg and healing yourself up. (saves healermana - u will fucking need it!) The only problem with fire are the charge-spawns. Without pyroprocc I couldn't kill it solo. (10)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoobie View Post
    Oh~ world 3.. didn't expect something like that. I was Fire on this boss (and all other bosses in this instance). Going with lb and invocation. Invocation is perfect for this boss. U can use it everytime when the add do raiddmg and healing yourself up. (saves healermana - u will fucking need it!) The only problem with fire are the charge-spawns. Without pyroprocc I couldn't kill it solo. (10)
    I think you would have a better time using IW, as there is constant and reliable raid dmg going on, so I am quite sure its a dps increase from Invocation (Charges stacks proc it like a charm)

You could be right about the Charges tho. While top logs of fire is 15k ahead of top logs of frost, I use Frost myself. It gives alot more burst, especially if you can use Alter time, so you have for 2 waves of 100% procs (Orb+Pet freeze times 2), although I start of just Fbolt spamming Elegon for procs, then use them on Charges (1), Petfreeze if needed, else Use it on Charges (2), and Orb aswell, with alter time for third. We sometimes killed 3, sometimes 4. Giving it a go tonight again.
    Last edited by mmoc909dfd26c8; 2012-10-05 at 07:47 AM.

So, I think I'm going to retract my earlier statement...

Last night my strategy for Energy sparks was to: get a pyro dot and a living bomb on Elegon -> as soon as Energy Sparks spawn, Inferno Blast spread those dots. That did not seem to work at all. I don't know if the adds spawn too far away from Elegon to dot spread, or maybe I was just doing it wrong. Anyways, the DoTs and Living bomb did not spread to the Energy Charges for me (however I only got 2 attempts that went into add phase last night, and then we killed it).

My feeling is that Arcane is the way to go if your guild is having problems with Energy Charges. You look at the 3 mages from ER and they did 7-5M damage on Energy Charges. My guild was giving me grief a lot for only doing 2.3M to Energy Charges... but looking through some other fire mage parses, I don't really see any fire mages doing more than 2-2.5m on Energy Charges.

The thing is though, Fire seems to be much better at the 50% execute, and slightly better in overall DPS.

I would say: If your guild is struggling with Energy Charges, try Arcane. If your guild is doing fine on Energy Charges, play Fire or Arcane.

PROTIP: Finding the *Sweet Spot*
    Gently tap forward to walk into the circle before the pull. The moment you are affected by the buff, gently tap back pedal twice. That is how I found the sweet spot.
    What is the sweet spot? It is the spot where you can stand there and DPS, and jump straight up to clear your stacks ----> not having to move at all and simply jumping to clear your stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    PROTIP: Finding the *Sweet Spot*
    Gently tap forward to walk into the circle before the pull. The moment you are affected by the buff, gently tap back pedal twice. That is how I found the sweet spot.
    What is the sweet spot? It is the spot where you can stand there and DPS, and jump straight up to clear your stacks ----> not having to move at all and simply jumping to clear your stacks.
    If that works, this is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSpyre View Post
    If that works, this is amazing.
    I saw it on a stream so hopefully it still works next week when my guild gets to him.

Deleted
    Killed him yesterday on 10 man (04/10/2012),

I did some tries on wed as frost, however i think fire is better damage esp in last phase. You can also pretty much force a pyro on the stars (It's needed), this way you get em down a lot quicker without using major cd's.

I think its doable in all 3 specs but i pref fire if you've got somewhat of a decent starter pre-raid gear
    Last edited by mmoca412978d04; 2012-10-05 at 09:09 PM.

Also had issues on this fight as Frost, which was surprising since Frost performed so well for me on previous fights. Good to see I'm not alone. Personally, RoP worked much better for me than IW (I could have just been timing IW badly though). Charges/sparks were easy to kill, but overall dps still seemed lacking. It is very frustrating to be unable to use pet freeze on the boss for IL procs, even though you can wait a few seconds to use it on an add. Also frustrating that dots don't reliably spread from the boss to sparks, but this is probably intended.

I think one of Frost's weaknesses here is the frequent target switching, and therefore having to rebuild FB stacks (on the Protector). It seems great on the small adds, though.