Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Mage becoming unpopular?

    Hello!

    I've pretty much always played a mage as my main but i've noticed lately there seems less and less of them being played. I have nothing to back this up other than what i've seen but it feels like there's alot less of them around than other classes these days.

    It's a pretty good time to try and judge the most and least played classes at the moment as most people will be leveling and gearing their mains as mop has only been out just over a week.

    My views come from the fact i'm not seen very many on my server (i know this doesn't stand up for other servers but as i said it's just what i've seen) I've also noticed hardly any of the main MoP streams play one or they aren't in any of the top lists of gold challenge modes etc. Also looking at some of the top guild rosters it's hard to find many of them.

    Do you feel this is true?

    If so what reasoning do you think is behind it?

  2. #2
    I see a lot of mages on the realm I play on.
    Dont forget there's a new class in the game and a lot of class things are changed.
    People might wanna try something else. I like the mage changes, I find it more fun then before.

    I don't feel this statement is true and if it may be true on your realm, then take advantage of it.
    I like being the only mage in a raidgroup.

  3. #3
    I think it's because it gets boring to play a dps rotation where you only press 2-3 buttons regularly.

    I stopped playing my mage main as early as vanilla because druid has so much more to offer and it was more than just spamming frostbolt/firebolt in molten core & blackwin lair.

    I have ofcourse been leveling it as an alt, but in WotLK it was just meh, i leveled it, played maybe 2 dungeons and a couple of raids and left it alone.

    Cataclysm was the same story.

    In the end, once youve tried classes with complex combat rotations (Shadowpriest, Boomkin, Feral to name a few), there simply is no going back to a class that has as boring a dps rotation as the Mage class.


    Note.: this is not meant to be bashing or trolling, this is how i have experienced playing a mage through the years of WoW.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hovsa View Post
    there simply is no going back to a class that has as boring a dps rotation as the Mage class.
    I wouldnt call it boring, its a great time to be a mage, frost has become viable pve, fire has become less rng, and arcane has become more complex. All good improvements for the class as a whole. I know i never get bored of seeing 250k pyro crits.

  5. #5
    I realise Monk is in the game but i still see plenty of other classes around. As you say it's likely just my server that feels low on mages, and i do quite like being one of the few

    I've noticed i never get in a dungeon with another mage, is this done on purpose with the LFG system now?

  6. #6
    For the death of me I can't play a mage. Everytime I feel like playing one, I login, play it for like 5-10 minutes and get bored.

  7. #7
    The Patient Berkhtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Frankfurt / Germany
    Posts
    265
    We try to find 2 for our raid (25 men)... no success for over 6 weeks on the biggest German PvE-Server...

    I am lonely at the moment lots of shadows, warlocks, chickens, eles etc... quite few hunters and mages.

    And far too many melees.

  8. #8
    Excellent, up the price of your portals to 100g, sit back and enjoy the lack of competition :P

  9. #9
    Warchief Voyager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Soviet Union
    Posts
    2,147
    Arcane has been unviable for PvP forever and now for PvE as well, Fire and Frost is being outclassed by most other classes in PvE, so the sole purpose of a Mage is Frost PvP. Lvl 90 talents are horrible.
    No surprise that they'll soon end up in Warlock's old domain of being the rarest PvE class in the game. They bring nothing special to the table anyway.

    You need TimeWarp? Bring a Shaman!
    Last edited by Voyager; 2012-10-04 at 11:03 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkey View Post
    My views come from the fact i'm not seen very many on my server (i know this doesn't stand up for other servers but as i said it's just what i've seen) I've also noticed hardly any of the main MoP streams play one or they aren't in any of the top lists of gold challenge modes etc. Also looking at some of the top guild rosters it's hard to find many of them.
    Go look at the challenge mode ladders again ... they are very much up there. Stream wise it's prefered to stream melee classes, it's more exciting to watch.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  11. #11
    Dreadlord Cycobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a tree
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Arcane has been unviable for PvP forever and now for PvE as well, Fire and Frost is being outclassed by most other classes in PvE, so the sole purpose of a Mage is Frost PvP. Lvl 90 talents are horrible.
    No surprise that they'll soon end up in Warlock's old domain of being the rarest PvE class in the game. They bring nothing special to the table anyway.

    You need TimeWarp? Bring a Shaman!
    Both Frost and Fire are most certainly NOT being outclassed by other classes in PvE, don't have any idea where you're getting this view from. 'Bringing nothing special' to the table also seems a biased point of view.
    Level 90 talents are also manageable, and bringing some complexity to a class which is notoriously easy to play isn't exactly a bad thing.

    Mages are probably the best single-target DPS in the game currently, and considering 2 of the fights in MV alone have fairly tight enrage timers bringing one certainly isn't a bad idea.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Go look at the challenge mode ladders again ... .
    Ah ok, well fair play then. Atleast thats some good news on the mage front

  13. #13
    If fewer people are playing mages it can only be because they are intimidated by the mage sheer awesomeness and power.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    If fewer people are playing mages it can only be because they are intimidated by the mage sheer awesomeness and power.
    It's a shame you can't 'like' posts on here

  15. #15
    Dreadlord Zenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Arcane has been unviable for PvP forever and now for PvE as well, Fire and Frost is being outclassed by most other classes in PvE, so the sole purpose of a Mage is Frost PvP. Lvl 90 talents are horrible.
    No surprise that they'll soon end up in Warlock's old domain of being the rarest PvE class in the game. They bring nothing special to the table anyway.

    You need TimeWarp? Bring a Shaman!
    Don't be silly. Current World of Logs and Simulation numbers prove otherwise. How about you can back with some evidence?

  16. #16
    The Level 90 maintenance talents are certainly going to see people lose interest and switch to a caster dps without maintenance buffs.

  17. #17
    Bloodsail Admiral spaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,112
    Mages aren't FOTM anymore, because you actually have to "think", not just mash arcane blast all day.

    I like it. Seeing less mages just means less people whispering me if I hack..
    3DS FC: 5172 - 0403 - 7277
    Pokemon Y Safari Steel Type (Feroseed, Forretess, Brozong)
    Bravely Default
    White Mage|XIV Stream

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    The Level 90 maintenance talents are certainly going to see people lose interest and switch to a caster dps without maintenance buffs.
    I hate the change to Arcane, but was getting used to Fire's rotation. Kind of exciting when it's not just "random proc, press button" and more of "proc due to your stat, push 2 buttons". Not a HUGE difference between that and Missiles, but it's still more fun.

    But then there were lvl 90 talents, and now I'm quite enjoying my Warlock.

  19. #19
    Most mages I know that rerolled did so because they didnt like the concept of the level 90 talents.. Though most mages I knew in cata as still mages , aint looking forward for pvp'ing though

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    If fewer people are playing mages it can only be because they are intimidated by the mage sheer awesomeness and power.
    +1 internetz to you!

    Seriously though, I havent noticed a change in the amount of people playing mages personally. There are still plenty zipping around my server and guild. I know that I wont be exchanging my mage for anything in the near future. I love my mage too much <3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •