Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I want to remind everyone to keep this civil. I've already infracted a few of you - tone it down.
    The steel hammer hath spoken. Grovel at his knees you filthy serfs.

Very good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    Would have been higher if they didn't just forget to add content for a year.

It did pretty well considering a major competitor just came out also.
    Buy to play games aren't competition. Never have been never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    The steel hammer hath spoken. Grovel at his knees you filthy serfs.
    Ehh... not worthy, not worthy, etc.

n.n

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    As Darth has mentioned, tone it down. Since I don't want to get a ban I will be leaving this thread that you are negative in all the time and leave it a that. I hope others have learned not to take you seriously any more. Good day sir.
    See you around buddy :>
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.

Bloodsail Admiral
    Fair play thats good. 2.7mil people playing curent content.

But unless they add back in rep tabards, and remove (or at least completely rework) CRZ I cant see it lasting.

Sigh.

Could we just lock this thread.

I've seen a maximum of 10 posts that are actually logical and not fully opinion based nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Sigh.

Could we just lock this thread.

I've seen a maximum of 10 posts that are actually logical and not fully opinion based nonsense.
    All of which are mine
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    Being the best of the worst doesn't make it good.
    Tier 11 was one of the best tiers period. Even most of the raiders jaded by Cata raiding have said this.

Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Yeah cause I'm deliberately making up the fact that we once had twelve million subscribers, and that we're still at a net loss.

Such a biased argument indeed.

If it sold those within 24hrs, I wouldn't be saying it sold like shit.

Because that implies it's initial 24hrs sales were probably less than 2.7 million. Sold. Like. Shit.
    What I don't get, Conscious, is why you are comparing it to an expansion who held the record of the fastest selling PC game of all time in a single day until Diablo 3. All the other expansions raised the bar for this record, too, but these numbers are crap simply because it did not break any sale records? Which was also kind of expected? I mean, I can agree with you once a month has passed and the sales are not nearly on par with the other expansions when comparing the sales over a month, but now? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    Sorry, but this Conscious guy gets under your skin.
    He's like Gollum in the way he evidently hates WoW but can't seem to stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    What are 3/4 WoW players doing without expansion?
    Either they are from china and arnt included in the cata sales, or they are subbed but not currently playing, taking a break, quit waiting for AP to run out, or playing but cant afford MoP atm.

Field Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Tier 11 was one of the best tiers period. Even most of the raiders jaded by Cata raiding have said this.
    I did love tier 11, but I quit after it

Every other WoW expansion's first day sales would like a word with you.
    What word? How is this a refute to what I wrote? You're flip flopping on your arguments here. Again you're going back to if it didn't sell more then it sold like crap. 2.7 million is not selling like crap. Again it sold more in a week than GW2 sold in a month. It sold more in a week than most other MMOs have ever sold. You can say it didn't sell as much as you expected. You can say that it didn't sell as much as it should have but to say that 2.7 million copies is selling like shit just makes you look like a moron.

Does this mean that the number of US and EU wow players is only about 2.7Million? And the rest are Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    2.7 millions of any games is not a small feat. MoP is NOT by any consideration a flop, it is a financial success undeniably. To the 2.7 millions copy, you have to add at very least, 2.7 millions of month of sub, because you need to register at least a month to be able to play MoP.

However

This is less a success that wolk and cataclysm were and relatively speaking, i would say less a success than TBC was. Why do i say that.

Well TBC sold 2.4 millions in 24 hours and 3.51 millions in a month (i don't have the number for the first week). But TBC was release when wow had 5 millions players, cataclysm had 9 millions.

So for me relatively speaking, MoP is the least succesful WoW extension to date, but, time will tell the rest.
    Mop is the least successful expansion despite bringing 1 million players back after losing 3 million. Yeah ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    What I don't get, Conscious, is why you are comparing it to an expansion who held the record of the fastest selling PC game of all time in a single day until Diablo 3. All the other expansions raised the bar for this record, too, but these numbers are crap simply because it did not break any sale records? Which was also kind of expected? I mean, I can agree with you once a month has passed and the sales are not nearly on par with the other expansions when comparing the sales over a month, but now? Not really.
    My major point has been throughout this entire thread, that Mists got 2.7 in a week. The rest of the expansions got that or almost that, in a day.

I just fail to see how people can think that the sales are somehow just as, good? I guess? Because it directly implies that it's first 24hr sales were an entirely different number, which we can only guess at, and they've been construed (obviously on purpose) as being great.

I'm still more concerned with subscribers, but I just can't take anyone seriously who thinks that these sales were great. I just can't.

Dude, It's a net loss still? I don't get why suddenly it's not. When did we break even, and why didn't anyone tell me?
    So Cataclysm was a "net gain" over launch? Well I guess you could say that. Each individual word is fine, but the overall idea seems off. There's a large number of events and reasons between launch and Cataclysm that led to it peaking so high. You can ignore how it did so well if you just want a "her der big number over TBC" kind of 'debate' I guess. It just doesn't seem a great approach to analysis.

The reason it's such a minimal gain, is that it's set against the backdrop of almost three million subscribers lost.

I can guarantee you it would be hailed as quite the opposite if we were still sitting pretty, and hadn't lost all of those folks.
    Oh, that I can agree on. That's basicly the example I am using regarding the quartery reports. How 800k is a large number if it's a loss, but 900k being a low number if we are talking about gains.

Change the backstory and the numbers get a new meaning to people.

In fact, I find the 900k to be a healthy gain because of the backstory. I was expecting a gain, but at a lower rate due to the heavy decline and "open hate" for Cataclysm within the community. Now I am curious as to what happens next.

These figures are not good. If I used VGChartz sales ratios to guestimate the sales after a week of Cata we would have approximately 4.04 million sales. An using a similar system would put the first day sales of MoP at around 2.2 million. My guestimate is that MoP will sell about 3.1 million copies in the first month of sales.

My guess is that they used the 1 week figures because there is no direct comparison for any previous expansion and they were probably also waiting for the number of subscribers to top 10 million. While they say the figures are pre China launch, it's likely that a lot of people in China bought new game time in preparation of the MoP release so this number would factor a lot of the China "subs" as well.

From the sounds of it, MoP is quite a good release but my gut tells me that the fallout from Cata, the gap with no new content before mists and their subscription model is really hurting them. MoP sales over the next couple of months will give us a good idea of the number of people paying the monthly subs as opposed to paying for time. There will obviously be a number of people who sub and don't upgrade to mists but those could be easy to factor in.

Those of you shouting from the roof tops about how MoP out sold some new games. A game with 4.5 million odd subscribers that are paying a monthly $15 to play the game should be able to sell more than 2+ million expansions to those clients.
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2012-10-04 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    He's like Gollum in the way he evidently hates WoW but can't seem to stay away from it.
    I'm actually playing it. Right now. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    What word? How is this a refute to what I wrote? You're flip flopping on your arguments here. Again you're going back to if it didn't sell more then it sold like crap. 2.7 million is not selling like crap. Again it sold more in a week than GW2 sold in a month. It sold more in a week than most other MMOs have ever sold. You can say it didn't sell as much as you expected. You can say that it didn't sell as much as it should have but to say that 2.7 million copies is selling like shit just makes you look like a moron.
    Because that actual first day sales were not 2.7 million. They were less than that, albeit we don't know what they were.

It took a week to reach 2.7 Million.

Again, literally every other WoW expansion had this, or near it, in 24hrs. Deliberately, misconstrued, sales numbers.