Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervacious View Post
    If you are trying to move away from the WoW community, what exactly are you doing on a WoW forum? /confused
    I dont know. I have some sort of stupid "White Knight" complex I guess. Friends on Teamspeak keeps telling me "stop going there and reading those posts, it makes your blood pressure raise.". But I keep doing that becouse I have that stupid feeling that I need to keep responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So I am not a math wiz, but how do you get from 2.7mil to 10mil?
    Step 1: Wait for the release in China.
    Step 2: Wait for the people enjoying the free MoP content.
    Step 3: Profit.
    If you chose rock as a weapon, in order to beat a pair of scissors, don't start whining when you get pwn'd by a piece of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    The definition of editorial "spin" is by saying "exactly how it is" but in such a way to compare numbers/stats to imply something that it's not.

The spin is saying MoP is 2.7... Cata is 3.3 and Wrath is 2.8 - but downplaying the "one is for first-day, the other is for first week" concept. If they did an honest comparison - MoP's first-day sales would probably be significantly lower than any previous expansion, and disregards any further sales figures for Cata/Wrath/BC during the next 6 days for comparison.

I personally don't mind it in this case, because I feel comparing 1st day sales to 1st week is splitting hairs. :P
    Blizzard didn't do the comparison. They just said "We sold this many in this week" MMO-Champion put up the other numbers. You can read for yourself in the press release http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company...tml?id=6147208 where they don't say anything about any other expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I looked at the VG Chartz and Cata sold roughly 25% in the second week so if you use the 2.7 million as 5 quarters then you get about 2.16 million on launch day. That would put the total at about 24% which is the lowest uptake of all expansions.
    That fair I suppose, I suspect the following is at play:

I think the pre-order sales were way down, and the first day sales were lower than that thanks to a significant segment of former players taking a wait and see approach before choosing if they wanted to resub or not. Initial reviews of MoP were quite positive so a large portion of this group has resubbed, and possibly a lot more soon if the reviews of the raiding content are generally positive. I think this led to a far less frontloaded figure for first day sales, and Blizzard decided to move the goalpost and give the first week figures instead, because they line up better with their expectations.

For this reason I'm much more interested to see how first month numbers stack up to previous expansions.

Legendary!
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    You are currently aging... you can look at it as if you're just living or you can look at it as if you're dying. WoW is losing subs... dying is just another way of putting it... I'm not saying dead, because it's not... im using the verb... dying. It's in the action. I'm aware WoW can work with a couple million subs, but at the point you'd be lucky to get 5% of blizzards attention... when the subs drop that far down in that game, blizzard/activision will prioritize other projects over it.
    First of all, on what exactly are you basing this claim that a WoW with "a couple million subs" would get "5%" of Blizzard's attention? That makes no sense whatsoever. The amount of content they've released hasn't in any way correlated with their subscription numbers. Quite the contrary, if you believe all the whining on the forums; we've gotten less content as time has gone by. Less content in Cataclysm than in earlier expansions even though it had the peak in subscriptions.

Secondly, if the measure of "dying" is losing subscriptions, then every single subscription-based game ever created thus far has been dying since day one, simply due to the undeniable fact that eventually every single one of them is going to be losing subscriptions, and furthermore, due to the, also undeniable, fact that eventually every single one of those games will be shut down. Forever.
    've is short for have. C/Sh/Would've or c/sh/would have. Not c/sh/would of.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So I am not a math wiz, but how do you get from 2.7mil to 10mil?
    Because not all global subscribers have MoP? Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post
    Step 1: Wait for the release in China.
    Did you pre-order MoP? You can say the same thing about China but the only way they can pre-order is to get game time in advance. While Blizzard have said that the numbers are pre launch in China, they will, without a doubt, include a large number of the Chinese subscribers who have "pre-ordered".

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You don't need to be psychic to see the patterns. Just need to have your eyes open.
    or be logical as is with every game people lose interest specially when the game itself is already 8 years old.

Did you pre-order MoP? You can say the same thing about China but the only way they can pre-order is to get game time in advance. While Blizzard have said that the numbers are pre launch in China, they will, without a doubt, include a large number of the Chinese subscribers who have "pre-ordered".
    As was explained earlier, it doesn't count as a subscription unless they log in. We have no way of knowing how many people "pre-ordered" in China and logged in or not. You could say that a lot did but I could say that they waited until the 2nd.

Well, I made $50 thanks to these sad numbers. I had a friend bet me that they would have another record breaking expansion, so I gladly took that bet.

Glad I did. 2.7 million sold in the first week is an extremely sad showing considering they were selling close to if not more copies on day one on every previous expansion.

It pains me to say, as I enjoyed WoW, that while it isn't dying, it's a shell of it's former glory. I hope these sales numbers, while impressive in terms of MMO, are a wake up call to Blizzard that they need to step up their game a lot to become as quality and entertaining as they used to be.

The Patient
    WoTLK had a 12million subscriber base and 3.3 million purchased the upgrade

Cata had 9million subscriber base and 2.7 million purchased the upgrade

Considering Cata had less subscribers percentage wise it upgraded nearly the same.

Weekly figures
    TBC: 2.4M Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales = ???
    WotLK: 2.8M Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales = ???
    Cata: 3.3M Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales =???
    MoP: ???Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales = 2.7M

For future record:
    The Burning Crusade - 3.5M First Month
    Wrath of the Lich King - 4M First Month
    Cataclysm - 4.7M First Month
    Pandaria - ??? First Month
    Last edited by mvallas; 2012-10-04 at 06:58 PM.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post

Considering Cata had less subscribers percentage wise it upgraded nearly the same.
    That's hardly the same. It's about a 20% drop in sales over a 7x longer span of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Weekly figures
    TBC: 2.4M Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales = ???
    WotLK: 2.8M Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales = ???
    Cata: 3.3M Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales =???
    MoP: ???Day 1 sales + ???Day 2 Sales + ???Day 3 Sales + ???Day 4 sales + ???Day 5 sales + ???Day 6 sales + ???Day 7 sales = 2.7M

For future record:
    The Burning Crusade - 3.5M First Month
    Wrath of the Lich King - 4M First Month
    Cataclysm - 4.7M First Month
    Pandaria - ??? First Month
    Probably the most sense so far. Give it some time. Not only is the total number relative to total subscribers (Cata started with far more than MoP did), but wait for the first month to see how it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    A 20-25% drop in sales in a sample time of 700% the usual sample time is good news?
    I still don't see any spin isn't that what they said? Did they not tell you it was after a week?
    Last edited by Baar; 2012-10-04 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    As was explained earlier, it doesn't count as a subscription unless they log in. We have no way of knowing how many people "pre-ordered" in China and logged in or not. You could say that a lot did but I could say that they waited until the 2nd.
    That's exactly why Blizzard did the release in this way. It's close to impossible to gauge what the state is. You can't directly compare 1 weeks sales with 1 day (previous announcements) and while they have said that it's pre China launch, they have also said that growth was across "all regions". There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on which is unfortunate. I can understand why, because people want to be part of something successful and this gives the impression that MoP is a success which would encourage more sales. No two ways about it, though, there is a lot of spin involved.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I still don't see any spin the what they said? Did they not tell you it was after a week?
    The spin is in the 10 million number. The implication is that the 900k new subscribers didn't include any from China yet that is obviously not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post

First day vs. First week.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

The spin is in the 10 million number. The implication is that the 900k new subscribers didn't include any from China yet that is obviously not the case.
    How did they imply that when they specifically said that it's growth across all major regions. They certainly did imply that there will be more from China once MoP is released but I don't think it's spin to say so since it's more than likely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    and i could say that most player like to check out pre patch activity to get their ducks in a row b4 playing. I pretty sure major class changes are somthing that brings players back. Im pretty sure anyone that bought game time logged in a week or more in advance to get their toons ready. If i was planning on getting MoP and my sub wasnt running, i would have came back soon as they changed all the talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    and i could say that most player like to check out pre patch activity to get their ducks in a row b4 playing.
    and both of us could be wrong, or one of us could be right, or it could be somewhere in between. There's no way of knowing. You're just speculating.