Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    I probably don't understand, so this might be a stupid question, but how can they have 2,7 million copies sold when they have 10 million subscribers? 7,3 million subscribers don't have MoP yet?
    Not everyone buys the xpac or can afford it

Boub said on twitter that the chinese model is different too.. I wonder if they got MoP as a free content patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephyron View Post
    Wait until people find out that daily quest without a daily cap is like a job and not like a game and the subs will go down again. I call it.

I fail to see why people will feel obligated to do every single daily, every single day. Me personally I haven't bothered with the anglers and I only do the Cloud serpent dailies every other day if I feel like it.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

How do you have 10 million subs and 2.7 million copies of MoP sold? That math just doesnt add up. The game is unplayable without the expansion as you cant level to 90, do the new 5 mans or scenarios or challenge modes or raids or get new gear. So does that mean 7 million people are just sitting in SW/Org doing nothing?

I don't think this counts online copies. 2.7mil physical and online copies?

Quote Originally Posted by GIVEMEANAME View Post
    on par with tbc so far, far better then lk and cata !!
    You realize that TBC was 2,4 M in a DAY while Pandaria is 2,7 M in a WEEK ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am actually suprised by how little QQ is in the comments. Not that I support the QQ on thread...quite the opposite just suprised to see the community be...rational/happy...o.0

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    I don't think this counts online copies. 2.7mil physical and online copies?
    It counts both hard copies & digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumps View Post
    Yes for children with no lives. No working adults can squeeze in 12 hours A WEEK.
    If you replace TV watching with WoW (or do both at the same time), 12 hours a week isn't all that much. Now, if you said a "working adult who's married with kids", then you might have a point.

Deleted
    Don't try to derail the discussion over the "WoW is dead" sillyness. The game is clearly not dead in any way.

That said, the fact here is that Mists of Pandaria sold worse than Cata, worse than WoTLK, and we don't know about TBC (but possibly worse, since MoP sales are after a week, while the other expansions have day 1 numbers). So there's a huge chance that MoP is the worst selling expansion in WoW history.

They certainly clearly gained some subscriptions after their low mark before last summer, and while that's good, it's not surprising (and shows that most players are based in China, where the subscription fee is very little).

Of course, these are still very big numbers for an MMO, but are not a success in WoW history in any way. I am sorry to say this, but people celebrating these numbers as a big success for WoW really didn't understand much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    @Ryme stocks do that all the time, Apples' stock droped before the ICrappy 5, and look at what it is now after the release of data. Stock prices are based on Data release by companies. After the announcement of back to 10 million their stock will go up again, until the subscription drops again. (Source Finance 101)
    Perhaps, but the last time the stock fell this sharply was in early August when the subscriber base fell by over a million in the second quarter.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I like the people here trying to argue that WoW is dying by "only" selling 2.7 million copies and passing 10 million subs again. I mean what other 8 year old game (heck what new game) has even 25% of these numbers?

Deleted
    NA and EU have what? 5 Mio. subscribers combined if you include Spanish and Russian players.

So roughly half of the player base purchased MOP in the first week.

Not bad, but not super awesome either. I wonder how long WoW can retain these numbers.

I don't even know one person that plays wow still, clearly proven by only getting $150M montly for sub fees

1.8B a year JUST in sub fees (before expenses, yah i know its a margin)

Small time opperation with no player base

Deleted
    Also, let me add this.

Those 7+ millions players who didn't buy MoP are likely based in China. In China the business model is very different, they pay a very little sub fee, and the expansion is not out yet.
    So, it's likely that 2.7 millions is the number of people playing WoW in Europe, USA and Australia. This is pretty much the dimension of the Western community at this time. GW2 so far sold 2 millions copies (several weeks ago), and it isn't available in China. WoW is clearly still the most played MMO in the Western world, but by a far, far smaller margin than most WoW players think...

Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    Of course, these are still very big numbers for an MMO, but are not a success in WoW history in any way. I am sorry to say this, but people celebrating these numbers as a big success for WoW really didn't understand much about them.
    They probably understand that for a game almost a decade old these numbers are still very strong. Very much a success in that regard. Most are aware the game has already hit its peak in terms of numbers.

While I'm currently enjoying MoP, I'd wait a bit before boasting sub numbers; remember how numbers started to fall in the first quarter after Cataclysm came out?

Deleted
    The number of trolls is just...

Ahem, let us not feed their foul bellies now, shall we?

As for MoP, I've now started playing it, and having seen everything there is to see in WoW since day one -- I must admit that it looks like it's going to be the best expansion yet. Had my doubts, but hey.. /hats off to Blizzard.

Heh, I love when people say "Only 10 million". Do you have any clue how much 10 million is? That's like 5 times my small country, for one.

Here's some quotes:

At present, WoW is one of the most played games in North America, and the most subscribed to MMORPG worldwide, with a total of over 10 million customers. The closest MMORPG to World of Warcraft is in terms of paying subscribers is RuneScape with more than one million subscribers and even more free players.
    {GW2}As reported by NCsoft and ArenaNet, by September 13th (about 2 weeks after launch), despite temporarily halting first-party sales, the game has sold over 2 million copies. The game's peak concurrency exceeds 400,000 players.
    WoW IS EIGHT. YEARS. OLD. And it's kicking more ass than ever before. This just proves it more. It sold freaking 2.7 MILLION copies. AN EIGHT YEAR OLD GAME SOLD 2.7 MILLION COPIES.

Even if (in 10 years?) the game falls below 2 million subs, it will STILL be on top. There won't be a WoW killer. If WoW ever dies, it will be from age. As long as there's subscribes, the game will be very much alive. So just stop implying that it's dead. Get your damn facts checked, and stop the sheepish hate. Makes you look very sad.

That said, the fact here is that Mists of Pandaria sold worse than Cata, worse than WoTLK, and we don't know about TBC (but possibly worse, since MoP sales are after a week, while the other expansions have day 1 numbers). So there's a huge chance that MoP is the worst selling expansion in WoW history.
    Don't jump to conclusions yet. MoP has been out for a little more than a week, and many current subscribers may want to play the 10 day free trial in order to get a taste of this new expansion. Just because MoP didn't break any records yet does not mean it will not do so in the upcoming month.

I haven't bought MoP yet. Many people are in the same boat. So why don't you wait a little bit before throwing premature conclusions based on incomplete statistics.