Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Yes in an ideal world all diseases and conditions would receive equal and appropriate attention - however even charities trend and become more and less popular over time. It's kind of rediculous to blame this on women though... also people atually think it's as simple of "chopping off a breast" the way you feel about your testicles is the way a woman feels about losing a breast >.<
    I'd think its probably worse to be honest, since the only way someone can tell if you're missing a ball is if you're waving your junk around. There's a huge body image issue attached to breast cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  2. #42
    Why do these threads always seem to boil down into "women get something special, so men *need* it too!" I remember getting upset over crap like that...when I was 5.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October and every year it gets more and more intrusive with more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon mostly just for the PR effect so people think they care. I'm sick of seeing pink everywhere. It disgusts me that people only care about breast cancer. I lost 2 family members to prostate cancer yet you never hear a peep about promoting awareness for prostate cancer and I don't even know if there is a ribbon since if there is one, nobody wears it.

    Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer. In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.

    Why is Brest cancer any more important than every other cancer out there? Why cant we just have a general cancer awareness month and try to cure ALL cancers instead of discriminatingly only helping women.
    I don't have them, but I'm approximately 150% certain a woman having her breasts removed is analogous to a man having his penis removed. You know, because penile cancer tumors can be cured by removing the affected penis.

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    The solution to your problem is to stop getting offended by positive outreach programs.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Why do these threads always seem to boil down into "women get something special, so men *need* it too!" I remember getting upset over crap like that...when I was 5.
    Welcome to MMOC where a good chunk of threads each week are dedicated to not very thinly veiled criticism of women.

    Don't point it out though, that doesn't go down well...

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
    Why? Because nobody cares about men's health. There are a few reasons for this, but the results show. I can only talk numbers for my country (the US), but look at the difference in spending on women's health vs men's health.

    Women are supposed to be beautiful creatures worthy of protecting at all costs. Men are seen as disposable and taught that their health is not worth the cost. Look at the number of workplace deaths in men vs women. Girls are taught that there is nothing more important than their health, boys are taught that their health comes second to monetary gains.

    When I started reading your post, I was going to argue with you... But then you made a pretty good point.

    Also, for men, it's a pretty popular consensus that going to the doctor, going to prostate cancer rallies, or whatever else, is weak. It's not said out loud. It's not forced on you. You just learn it. How many guys do you know that have a medical problem, but won't go to the doctor? They say "I'll be fine."

    Shit, I know I do. Doctors are expensive. And I'm essentially hard-wired that I'd rather suffer from some non-lethal affliction, than go spend a lot of money. I have sleep disorders that are shaving off years of my life, and could cause me to die in a car wreck, or something. But by damn, I am not going to spend 1500 dollars to let someone watch me sleep then hook me up to a machine every night, just so I feel less tired. In a few years, when I have a real job with medical benefits, I'll do it. For now? I'm not putting that monetary burden on my family.

    So in other words, most men feel de-powered by having to do things like that. Most women feel empowered by going to rallies and the like. It's weird. It's just how we are. I think it's because men have so much stress put on them to be the protectors and providers, that we're afraid to be a burden or be weak or sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    So if there is a prostate awareness month why doesnt ANYONE ever mention it. Why doesnt the NFL which is PLAYED by MEN wear prostate ribbons and colored uniform items to support it
    Did you even read the link? (2014)

    Did you even read what I posted? (Men aren't willing to put forth repeated public efforts to draw attention to the problem)

    Prostate cancer is like a huge elephant in the corner that the people it attacks refuse to bring up, draw attention to, and discuss. If this bothers you as much as your posts indicate, then you need to do something about it. When I say you, I don't mean "Leave it up to someone else," I mean you in particular. Hunt down local resources, encourage friends and family alike, take an active role. That's what men and women have done for breast cancer, that's what men and women need to do for prostate cancer. Leaving it up to the other guy means your own interests may not be a priority. Do something about it.

    EDIT to add, my friend's father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his 50's. It was caught early enough that they were able to take care of it and he's alive today, but he's made it his goal to encourage friends and family alike to stay on top of checking their prostate health. His son, brothers, cousins, in laws, and friends are reminded and encouraged to get checked, informed about symptoms to watch for and reminded not to be afraid to see their doctors if they have concerns. It took a brush with death to remind just one tiny group of men that prostate cancer can and will hit men before they're wrinkled and falling apart, and that's only because the man who survived it so young isn't ashamed to share his story, and isn't ashamed to discuss the subject with other men. Just seeing the man is a reminder of what he's survived, but that only works when people know he's a survivor.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2012-10-04 at 08:08 PM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'd think its probably worse to be honest, since the only way someone can tell if you're missing a ball is if you're waving your junk around. There's a huge body image issue attached to breast cancer.
    Or, you know. Knowing you can't have kids. There's no way that'd hurt a guy's feelings, right? Cause they don't have emotions. Believe it or not, most guys would also have body image issues if they were missing one or both testicles. Hell, just if theirs weren't functioning. I know a whole lot of men who don't want a vasectomy because they say it would make them feel like less of a man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  9. #49
    Breast cancer is still serious...OP acts like it's like catching a cold or something and that breast cancer doesn't ruin lives and hurt families. You say you lost 2 people to prostate cancer? I lost an aunt and a cousin to breast cancer. Does either one mean more than the other? No, not really, because both are terrible diseases for someone to have and take lives every day. I see no reason why breast cancer is bad simply because it gets more recognition than other types of cancer. It's not a simple task like "cut off the breast" like you seem to think...that isn't always how it works.

    In the end, if you really feel that strongly about prostate or other types of cancer, do something about it. Start a program, get local people to help you, get the word out, spread awareness. Don't whine on a video game forum about how the color pink is bothering you in the month of October.

    Breast cancer is something that not many people cared about until the mid 80's, when the Susan Komen foundation was started by - get this - the family member of a breast cancer victim. Imagine if she had just bitched on a forum about how lung cancer was getting too much attention. So really, go do something about it. Let people know that they should be aware. Regardless of what you do, whining on here will not help any victim of cancer.
    Last edited by cherb; 2012-10-04 at 08:15 PM.

  10. #50
    Totally agree with the OP, cancer is cancer, why a certain form is more special than another is beyond me.

  11. #51
    Or, you know. Knowing you can't have kids. There's no way that'd hurt a guy's feelings, right? Cause they don't have emotions.
    Please let me know where I said that wasn't the case.

    This is literally the most stupid thing to rage about I've ever seen on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  12. #52
    Field Marshal Zalkercin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    87
    I fail to understand why you're offended by something that isn't REALLY hurting you or anyone you know. I mean, no one can force you to wear anything pink. There is a prostate awareness month as already mentioned. Instead of coming on here whining about something like this, how about you read up and become more informed on the subject and take matters into your hands. Go out into your community and work with hospitals in your area to set up something to inform more people of prostate and lung cancer. Do you really think the whole breast cancer awareness thing exploded one day? Nope!! It all starts somewhere and YOU doing YOUR part would help things a bit I'm sure.

  13. #53
    Epic! Idrinkwhiterussians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Posts
    1,583
    I think more people need to get on the bandwagon for Movember...

    I will be doing it again this year.

    Promote the awareness of male cancers by growing a moustache? Yeah. Totally amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

  14. #54
    Legendary! Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    6,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I don't have them, but I'm approximately 150% certain a woman having her breasts removed is analogous to a man having his penis removed. You know, because penile cancer tumors can be cured by removing the affected penis.
    But a breast can be replaced by an artificial one, a penis cannot, in addition a penis is functional. Without one a man would have to wear some kind of catheter. Breasts do not have a function unless they belong to a nursing mother. Also, removing a penis for prostate cancer would be ridiculous since they arent even the same thing.

    Also, I want to point out I have nothing against women, in fact I love them, but what I AM against is the favoritism toward womens health with a complete disregard to any kind of mens health issues

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October.


    Its not more important, it just has more people organizing it. grow up

  16. #56
    Bloodsail Admiral bekilrwale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sarasota Fl.
    Posts
    1,148
    Putting the pink ribbon on your product is a subconscious way of making the buyer associate your product with breasts. You never see a lung cancer sticker on a box of cheerios do you? Well lung cancer kills more than 2 times as many people as breast cancer. It is a marketing strategy. And the pink ribbon company hardly does anything to find a cure for breast cancer because they have a huge overhead due to all the expensive events they put on and the employees they need to pay.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

  17. #57
    Personally I think alot of it is big business have realized how much of a profit center collecting donations can be, and it is alot easier to get donations for titties than it is for an asshole and that is why breast cancer is so popular to ask for donations for.

    http://www.abc4.com/content/news/lin...Fn-IZhZMQ.cspx

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    But a breast can be replaced by an artificial one, a penis cannot, in addition a penis is functional. Without one a man would have to wear some kind of catheter. Breasts do not have a function unless they belong to a nursing mother. Also, removing a penis for prostate cancer would be ridiculous since they arent even the same thing.

    Also, I want to point out I have nothing against women, in fact I love them, but what I AM against is the favoritism toward womens health with a complete disregard to any kind of mens health issues
    It's all a giant conspiracy by evil women to slowly kill off all the men by denying then information and treatment for male-specific cancers - DUH!

  19. #59
    There are, however, plenty of good reasons to oppose Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Or any Awareness Month for that matter.

    Here's a few.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/ma...MoI6Srs8AN3d3w
    http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/12/cau...trategies.html

    In short it boils down to BCAM causes people to think they've contributed to Breast Cancer Research by purchasing a bucket of pink KFC when KFC isn't at all clear about which charity they've donated to or how much.

    How about actually donating to a charity? What if, instead of donating money for pink buckets of KFC (Which is simply using a cause to sell more chicken) you sell those tickets for $1 so people know exactly who they're donating to and they're donating twice as much.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Please let me know where I said that wasn't the case.

    This is literally the most stupid thing to rage about I've ever seen on this forum.
    Which is why I'm not raging. I'm just pointing out that it's dissapointing to me that so many people jump on board with the Brest Cancer thing, not because they really have the motivation to care, but because it's become popular, and don't show any kind of concern for any other kind of cancer/disease. I don't think I have to be raging to note that it's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •