Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Yes they can... what makes you say absurd things like that?
    He was mocking him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  2. #142
    Legendary! Drugs-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    6,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Yes they can... what makes you say absurd things like that?
    Obvious sarcasm missed.


  3. #143
    Old God
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,148



    November is prostate cancer here. No joke.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

  4. #144
    Dreadlord Drekker17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Best State=Colorado :)
    Posts
    972
    We can remove the prostate and continue to live...and it will "cure" the cancer just as likely as removing the breasts so I have no idea where that dumb comparison came in. Oh, you can remove it so the cancer isn't as bad...op is so silly.

    How about the OP go start promoting prostate cancer month instead of bad mouthing the whole pink breast cancer stuff, really what a baby, that's exactly what they originally did with breast cancer.

    I like how people blah blah about how this is discrimination against men, how in the world is it, can someone please tell me how it's discrimination? Men need to stop complaining and go promote prostate cancer month and stop blaming women and feminism, etc...please how is anyone stopping you?..."Why does the NFL wear pink for breast cancer and do nothing for prostate cancer...wah feminism!" How about because it's popular...duh.

    OP:
    "Hey instead of going out and raising more awareness of prostate cancer, lets get angry there is breast cancer month and it just happens to be more popular, because it was the first big cancer awareness thing!" Really prostate cancer probably wouldn't get a month at all if it wasn't for Breast cancer awareness getting super big.
    I'm going to super rich one day, remember my face!!!

  5. #145
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Ideal? No. Effective? Yes.
    There are a surprising number of effective treatments in medicine. Most of them are horribly unethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  6. #146
    People just can't help but get offended about something these days. Who the fuck says, "fuck breast cancer charities!!!"? Apparently some guy on the MMO-Champion forums.

  7. #147
    Over 9000! MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    9,225
    Having had an aunt who recently had a Mastectomy I can tell you how wrong you are about how removing a breast can get rid of the problem. It's actually rarer for it to work than not to.

  8. #148
    I think breast cancer awareness groups have done a great job. It's hard to push for funding for all types of cancer because research likely won't produce a cure for all types of cancer. The separate groups are on their own to promote their causes and get funding for screenings, research, treatments for a specific type of cancer.

    As a side note my personal opinion on why breast cancer is most funded (if it is?) is because everybody knows what a breast is. Prostates are less visible. Many people don't know what a pancreas is and wouldn't know what symptoms a person with pancreatic cancer would have. It can be apparent when a woman has had a mastectomy, but not so apparent when a man has had some of his prostate removed.

  9. #149

  10. #150
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,274
    in New Zealand we have 1 week for breast cancer and a week for prostate cancer (some sort of blue ribbon week) and the whole Movember thing as well. If anything prostate cancer gets more attention here than breast cancer. My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer 2.5 years ago now, you start to notice and contribute when things are close to home. Personally I would like to see more attention given to all forms of cancer and child disabilities.

  11. #151
    Pit Lord HBpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newport Mesa, Ca
    Posts
    2,339
    I worked in a mammography clinic for a few years and part of the reason it gets pushed so much (at least from a health industry standpoint) is that its insanely profitable compared to other types of detection for other types of cancer. We had eight machines and could push through 200 women (and a few men, of course) in a single day...six days a week.

    The 'awareness' aspects of it are a little LOL if you ask me. Its pretty much PR bullshit.

    Women get hounded by their PCP about getting it done are already aware. I've never had a woman who was getting her first mammogram (because of age or family history) not already know plenty about what's involved or why. Some of the women at the highest risk usually get the least amount of exposure about it (i.e. uninsured illegal immigrants, etc).
    Atheist, anti-theist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, anti-war, anti-corporatism.

  12. #152
    Brewmaster Rhaide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    KPAX
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer...tomy-operation

    What? Sure you can. You can remove both and live just fine (though not if you remove BOTH lungs).

    Please educate yourself on the topic before ranting about it.
    Because the aesthetic issues involved with a mastectomy are TOTALLY on par with the high risk of PERMANENT IRREVERSIBLE damage to the functions of the penis and damage to the anus often seen with prostate removals. Not to mention the obvious problems with lung removal.

    Your comment reeks of bias, and I'm responding to your comment harshly because you responded to the OP harshly.

    I fully agree with the OP, these other cancers are obviously (and factually) more severe than breast cancer, yet go mostly uncared about.
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all."

    -God (Futurama)

  13. #153
    Same answer as 95% of "I'm offended" problems: Get over it. Breast cancer awareness is better than no cancer awareness and no one is forcing you to participate or be educated. If you want there to be more awareness about other types of cancer, get off your ass and make it happen.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    I fully agree with the OP, these other cancers are obviously (and factually) more severe than breast cancer, yet go mostly uncared about.
    What? Prostrate cancer is "factually" one of the least serious cancers there is. It is almost always detected at a very early stage. Most people who are diagnosed with it will die from other causes. It has something like a 99% 5 year survival rate, and most people who do get diagnosed are already elderly and so tend to have other, much more serious conditions to worry about. It is not "obviously" more severe than any other types of cancer at all, I don't know how you could possibly come up with such a ridiculous conclusion if you ever looked at any of the relevant facts.

    Not to say that breast cancer doesn't have decent survival rates too (88%, stage dependent), but trying to pitch these two forms of cancer against each other like that is just dumb. Again, if you honestly think there needs to be more awareness about prostrate cancer (kind of silly really, considering it is already being detected extremely early almost all the time), then go campaign for that. Whining about breast cancer awareness doesn't help anyone.

  15. #155
    Eh? As long as it stops people dying from breast cancer, then who cares?

    A bright, instantly recognisable colour as part of a 'get your attention to a major issue' campaign, why should it offend you?

    The colour yellow for some other cancer wristbands offends me because I associate it with custard?

    Apart from other cancers, breast cancer is one of THE most survivable if you CATCH IT EARLY. The others pretty much either rely on dumb luck being detected while taking tests for something else or waiting for symptoms to develop. This is why there is a campaign, to stop the thousands of women and men dying from it every year when it could have been prevented.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

    Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    How is it a good cause? While I disagree with some points, breast cancer is very easy to detect and treat. There are worse cancers that should get more of a spotlight than breast cancer
    Any form of cancer is a big deal. People still die from breast cancer. I do think that all cancers deserve some form of recognition, because it all matters, but it's not a bad thing to spotlight breast cancer. I don't see anything negative coming out of that. How isn't it a good cause?

  17. #157
    Brewmaster Rhaide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    KPAX
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What? Prostrate cancer is "factually" one of the least serious cancers there is. It is almost always detected at a very early stage. Most people who are diagnosed with it will die from other causes. It has something like a 99% 5 year survival rate, and most people who do get diagnosed are already elderly and so tend to have other, much more serious conditions to worry about. It is not "obviously" more severe than any other types of cancer at all, I don't know how you could possibly come up with such a ridiculous conclusion if you ever looked at any of the relevant facts.

    Not to say that breast cancer doesn't have decent survival rates too (88%, stage dependent), but trying to pitch these two forms of cancer against each other like that is just dumb. Again, if you honestly think there needs to be more awareness about prostrate cancer (kind of silly really, considering it is already being detected extremely early almost all the time), then go campaign for that. Whining about breast cancer awareness doesn't help anyone.
    When talking about more severe cancer, I was mainly speaking about lung cancer. My point about prostate cancer is that the removal procedure and risks are MUCH WORSE than with a mastectomy. That is just fact, you can try and argue if you want, but I won't respond because I don't argue with people who don't use logic.
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all."

    -God (Futurama)

  18. #158
    I can't even fathom the value of arguing about which form of cancer is worst.

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    When talking about more severe cancer, I was mainly speaking about lung cancer. My point about prostate cancer is that the removal procedure and risks are MUCH WORSE than with a mastectomy. That is just fact, you can try and argue if you want, but I won't respond because I don't argue with people who don't use logic.
    You want to accuse me of not using logic, while making these ridiculously meaningless comparisons of prostrate cancer and breast cancer?

    Not that I think there's anything wrong my logic of pointing out the actual fact that prostrate cancer is one of the least serious kind of cancer you can possibly get. A point you seem to want to ignore, in order to faciliate your aforementioned retardedly pointless comparison.

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October and every year it gets more and more intrusive with more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon mostly just for the PR effect so people think they care. I'm sick of seeing pink everywhere. It disgusts me that people only care about breast cancer. I lost 2 family members to prostate cancer yet you never hear a peep about promoting awareness for prostate cancer and I don't even know if there is a ribbon since if there is one, nobody wears it.

    Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer. In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.

    Why is Brest cancer any more important than every other cancer out there? Why cant we just have a general cancer awareness month and try to cure ALL cancers instead of discriminatingly only helping women.
    Clearly you have no idea then if you think it is as easy as removing the breast. There is also Movember for prostate cancer awareness in men, you should look it up.

    but since you wish to be so blind, here is my own personal experience and story about someone who had breast cancer.

    My 41 year old mother was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her breast when I just hit 20, at the time they classed it as easy to remove, it had some lymph nodes but a single operation they claimed would remove the tumor and she would not need chemo therapy.

    The operation went well, they removed the tumor and sent it for testing, telling my mum they were sure it was removed. a few months down the track, mum began to sleep more and more during the day, at first we thought it was heat, but to be sure she went to the doctor, to only be told tests came back that the breast cancer had recurred to her liver and after tests was confirmed a double positive. If you are not aware, common cancers are a negative and positive, meaning that chemo therapy can be used with some success. Her's was a new strand that came from her breast, they were not sure if chemo would even work.

    So she went on both chemo and radio therapy to remove the cancer which was now not only in the remaining breast tissue left behind from the previous op, but now running rampant in her liver. She went froma lovely happy lady, to a bed ridden sick frail person in 2 months, she lost her hair (the most embarrassing and traumatic thing for her, she cried daily) and when we went back one day to see progress, we were hit with the news that the chemotherapy has actually bolstered the cancer, her liver was so riddled with the cancer it was not operable or salvageable, the cancer now moving to her bones, she was now a guinea pig as the doctors tried a cocktail of medicines to try and find anything that the cancer may react to.

    She tried her best to keep strong, but after we were told she had 2 months to live, her spirit near died, she had a son who was only 6 she wanted to see graduate, she had me and my sister to live her life for, and she was given a deadline of her death. I have no idea how it must have felt to be told you may die any second now. She woke up trying to make the best of each day, not knowing if tomorrow would come. I regret not spending enough time with her in this period, I too suffered from this event, and tried to act as if it was all a lie, I should have given her more support when she needed it. Too late now..

    Either way, she passed away in 2005, she managed to live 4 months longer than expected. She will never get to see my brother graduate, or see any of us grow older, she will never get to have as much fun as she wanted. All because of breast cancer.

    Breast cancer isn't merely fixable by removing the breast, hundred and thousands of women and men get it daily, and not all survive, the mortaliity rate is so high breast cancer takes up to 22% of cancers diagnosed per year.


    This was a very emotional post to write.. Before my mum had cancer, I thought the same way, thought it was easily cureable, remove the cancer, yeah mum will be fine, its a minor illness.. Now, after witnessing my mum going through it, and losing her I realise it is much more serious than "just" an easy to remove tumor.
    Last edited by Khaidu; 2012-10-05 at 04:01 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •