Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    3,585

    Angry Im Offended by discriminatory Breast Cancer Awareness

    I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October and every year it gets more and more intrusive with more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon mostly just for the PR effect so people think they care. I'm sick of seeing pink everywhere. It disgusts me that people only care about breast cancer. I lost 2 family members to prostate cancer yet you never hear a peep about promoting awareness for prostate cancer and I don't even know if there is a ribbon since if there is one, nobody wears it.

    Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer. In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.

    Why is Brest cancer any more important than every other cancer out there? Why cant we just have a general cancer awareness month and try to cure ALL cancers instead of discriminatingly only helping women.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.
    You answered your own question right there.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    3,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    You answered your own question right there.
    That didnt answer my question. If the simple solution is to remove the breast why dont we just do it and move on trying to cure other cancers that cant be cured by simply removing a body part

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.
    http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer...tomy-operation

    What? Sure you can. You can remove both and live just fine (though not if you remove BOTH lungs).

    Please educate yourself on the topic before ranting about it.
    SUCH INFRACTIONS
    MANY POST
    SO POWERFUL
    WOW

    (Armory) | (Twitter)
    Global Moderator of MMO-Champion.com

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    That didnt answer my question. If the simple solution is to remove the breast why dont we just do it and move on trying to cure other cancers that cant be cured by simply removing a body part
    Yes because lopping off body parts is truly an ideal treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Anti-racism protests are racist against whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    I am The Riddler. I never 'make stuff up'.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  6. #6
    Because people (mostly Men) like Boobs and therefore have a relation, no one cares about a prostate.

  7. #7
    Because people have fun supporting it. It's a bandwagon thing. Nothing wrong with supporting it, but it is annoying to see people pretend it's the be all end all, and not give two shits about anything else.

    It reminds me of the "texting-while-driving" crusade that's been on the media lately. Sure, it's dangerous. Know what else is dangerous? Doing anything while driving. Don't see them mention that though. (Though, I suspect that situation is more so that teens can be singled out. When I was a teenager, I didn't get the whole angst and rebellion thing. But now that I'm an adult? I can see that man, do older people like to hate on some teenagers.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  8. #8
    Hey, it's better if they make a campaign about cancer, whether it's breast cancer or not, than not doing any cancer! Besides, breast cancer is, apparently, very common, and there's a lot of women that might have it without knowing, I really wouldn't know, I'm not informed in this, but what I knows is, it's better to have a campaign about it or not.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    Because people (mostly Men) like Boobs and therefore have a relation, no one cares about a prostate.
    Until you can't get it up anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Because people have fun supporting it. It's a bandwagon thing. Nothing wrong with supporting it, but it is annoying to see people pretend it's the be all end all, and not give two shits about anything else.

    It reminds me of the "texting-while-driving" crusade that's been on the media lately. Sure, it's dangerous. Know what else is dangerous? Doing anything while driving. Don't see them mention that though. (Though, I suspect that situation is more so that teens can be singled out. When I was a teenager, I didn't get the whole angst and rebellion thing. But now that I'm an adult? I can see that man, do older people like to hate on some teenagers.)
    So let me get this straight. Any cause that isn't "STOP ASTEROIDS FROM WIPING OUT LIFE" is bandwaggoning?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Anti-racism protests are racist against whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    I am The Riddler. I never 'make stuff up'.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yes because lopping off body parts is truly an ideal treatment.
    Ideal? No. Effective? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    That didnt answer my question. If the simple solution is to remove the breast why dont we just do it and move on trying to cure other cancers that cant be cured by simply removing a body part
    That's not what I was saying. You asked why there should be awareness. If it's so easily curable, as you say, then why shouldn't people be aware of that and check whether they have it?

  13. #13
    I asked my mum the same question a while back. She gave some emotional reply about it destroying the 'essence of what a lady is', and it being an 'attack on the reproductive organs'.

    She completely ignored the fact that men can get cancer in their actual reproductive organs, and women can get cancer in their overies.

    I guess its an irrational thing. Just like cancer itself getting more attention then heart disease.

  14. #14
    are you offended by warning signs on cigarette packs too?

    wtf is wrong with ppl this days, get real

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So let me get this straight. Any cause that isn't "STOP ASTEROIDS FROM WIPING OUT LIFE" is bandwaggoning?
    Wait.... What? I-... I don't understand your point here o-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Art3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Until you can't get it up anymore.
    Please figure out what the prostate actually does..

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Please figure out what the prostate actually does..
    http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer...rostate-cancer

    Read down. When your prostate goes bad, directly or not, you can lose the ability to use your junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

  18. #18
    Titan Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    13,794
    There's a Men's Health month also, where the idea is to increase awareness of men's issues like Prostate Cancer.

    I've got nothing against seeing pink ribbons everywhere. If it reminds some woman to examine herself and she finds a lump that gets dealt with before it kills her, it was worth it.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  19. #19
    It IS possible for men to get Breast Cancer as well, it's not as common but it does happen. So your classification of it as a Female disease and discriminatory is incorrect.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29,259
    One of the biggest reasons breast cancer is so often shown like this is because it's insanely easy to detect. You can find it earlier than almost any other form of cancer, leading to very high chances of surviving it. Cancers that form inside the body are much more difficult to catch in time.

    More awareness is good. As well, if your family members were lost to prostate cancer (I'm sorry ), it's likely it moved beyond the prostate when it was detected as a radical-prostatectomy-operation could cure that.
    SUCH INFRACTIONS
    MANY POST
    SO POWERFUL
    WOW

    (Armory) | (Twitter)
    Global Moderator of MMO-Champion.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •