Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    That race for a cure stuff is a joke and a huge waste of everyone's money. You honestly think you will ever heard about a cure if even is one is ever found? Pharmaceutical companies are just laughing at everyone scrambling like rats as they rake in the cash. How long has a cure been promised? New pills that treat but never cure is all your donations will ever get.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've got nothing against seeing pink ribbons everywhere. If it reminds some woman to examine herself and she finds a lump that gets dealt with before it kills her, it was worth it.
    Indeed. It's done great things. Never meant to suggest it hadn't.

But it's a little annoying to see people who only care about that. I just wish people would spread the love a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, it seems. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...ess-month-2012

Both of my grandfather's passed away due to prostate cancer. My aunt is currently undergoing chemo for breast cancer. My mother has skin cancer, bladder cancer, and leukemia. I'm not offended by Breast Cancer awareness month. Breast cancer occurs in men, as well. October isn't "female cancer month."

Breast cancer is more visible for a variety of reasons, one of those reasons being that women are significantly more likely to not remain silent when concerned or afraid. Men tend not to feel comfortable looking for assistance. Women have a better track record of keeping up with their medical check ups, as far as I'm aware. Men are less likely to admit they're unwell, or go in to see their doctor if something's not right. You'll notice a woman's suddenly missing a breast or two (well, you would a couple of decades ago, now it's more common for women to pick up a prosthetic to "balance" out again I think, but certainly you'll notice that you're looking at a bald woman and that's rather unusual), you won't notice if a man had surgery on his prostate and his being bald won't strike you as quite so unusual.

It's not about something being more important than something else. It's simply about being important. I'm not a huge fan of pink, myself. Cancer awareness month might make sense, but there are so many different kinds of cancers - it's mind boggling. In a similar vein, there are a number of different kinds of breast cancer that require different approaches to treatment. We're throwing money at cancer in general, but it's spread thin across hundreds of different types of cancer. It's hard to make headway when no one's getting enough funding to get much done. Perhaps a cure for Breast Cancers could be viewed as more of a figure head rather than a final goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There's a Men's Health month also, where the idea is to increase awareness of men's issues like Prostate Cancer.

I've got nothing against seeing pink ribbons everywhere. If it reminds some woman to examine herself and she finds a lump that gets dealt with before it kills her, it was worth it.
    Yeah no kidding. Now sure how people can get pissed about research for breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yautjalv426 View Post
    That race for a cure stuff is a joke and a huge waste of everyone's money. You honestly think you will ever heard about a cure if even is one is ever found? Pharmaceutical companies are just laughing at everyone scrambling like rats as they rake in the cash. How long has a cure been promised? New pills that treat but never cure is all your donations will ever get.
    Better than nothing.
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

You are not alone in noticing all of this Orlong, I've noticed much worse things about this trend that "the only cancer is breast cancer" attitude in American society. But, fearing being labeled some kind of heartless person by the mmo-champ poulation that's all I will say, but no you are not alone.

See just a few posts up - it's starting already... "how can someone be apposed to cancer research???"
    What a PoS - who the fuck said anyone was against it? what we are saying is that the focus is so great on that one kind of cancer that the others are like non existant, not to mention - the fact you can remove the part of your body with the cancer can be removed as a cure - while already pointed out, most other cancers are not curable that way.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-10-04 at 07:51 PM.

Because of the same calculation musicians make when making their music videos:

Boobs sell. So breast cancer is a better PR cause than prostate cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer...rostate-cancer

Read down. When your prostate goes bad, directly or not, you can lose the ability to use your junk.
    Can, as in occurs occasionally. They don't cut it off like they do a breast..

I like your avatar btw

i dont know if this has been stated, but november(known as Movember) is for prostate cancer, where men grow mustaches in awareness for prostate cancer, just sayin

During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in Canada and around the world. With their “Mo’s”, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men's health, specifically prostate cancer and male mental health initiatives
    Last edited by Hellgrazr; 2012-10-04 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Can, as in occurs occasionally. They don't cut it off like they do a breast..
    It was a joking comment. Someone said nobody cares about prostate cancer, I replied that they will when they can't get it up anymore. I was not attempted to start an in depth biological or philosophical discussion about the precise techniques used and their mental ramifications.

And you can always have a breast implant. I personally don't find them as attractive, but if it means you have a fake boob instead of dying to cancer, I think that's a pretty decent trade-off.

Everyone is pro women and screw men these days.

does it really offend you or would you just rather see more awareness for other things. People use the word offended way too much.

You do realise that if they find something that treats breast cancer without destroying the tissue around it then its likely it can be applied to other cancers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgrazr View Post
    i dont know if this has been stated, but november(known as Movember) is for prostate cancer, where men grow mustaches in awareness for prostate cancer, just sayin
    Odd... No shave november has /never/ been described to me as having anything to do with that. I know guys who did it in college just for fun, and some who did it or an annual event called "staches for stew-pot" where people sponsored people to wear ridiculous mustaches all month, and donated money to stew pot for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, it seems. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...ess-month-2012

Both of my grandfather's passed away due to prostate cancer. My aunt is currently undergoing chemo for breast cancer. My mother has skin cancer, bladder cancer, and leukemia. I'm not offended by Breast Cancer awareness month. Breast cancer occurs in men, as well. October isn't "female cancer month."

Breast cancer is more visible for a variety of reasons, one of those reasons being that women are significantly more likely to not remain silent when concerned or afraid. Men tend not to feel comfortable looking for assistance. Women have a better track record of keeping up with their medical check ups, as far as I'm aware. Men are less likely to admit they're unwell, or go in to see their doctor if something's not right. You'll notice a woman's suddenly missing a breast or two (well, you would a couple of decades ago, now it's more common for women to pick up a prosthetic to "balance" out again I think, but certainly you'll notice that you're looking at a bald woman and that's rather unusual), you won't notice if a man had surgery on his prostate and his being bald won't strike you as quite so unusual.

It's not about something being more important than something else. It's simply about being important. I'm not a huge fan of pink, myself. Cancer awareness month might make sense, but there are so many different kinds of cancers - it's mind boggling. In a similar vein, there are a number of different kinds of breast cancer that require different approaches to treatment. We're throwing money at cancer in general, but it's spread thin across hundreds of different types of cancer. It's hard to make headway when no one's getting enough funding to get much done. Perhaps a cure for Breast Cancers could be viewed as more of a figure head rather than a final goal.
    So if there is a prostate awareness month why doesnt ANYONE ever mention it. Why doesnt the NFL which is PLAYED by MEN wear prostate ribbons and colored uniform items to support it

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    So if there is a prostate awareness month why doesnt ANYONE ever mention it. Why doesnt the NFL which is PLAYED by MEN wear prostate ribbons and colored uniform items to support it
    Clearly because the NFL hates men.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    does it really offend you or would you just rather see more awareness for other things. People use the word offended way too much.

You do realise that if they find something that treats breast cancer without destroying the tissue around it then its likely it can be applied to other cancers?
    Potentially, but not always. Cancers are very different things. There's not just one cancer. They all work differently, and require different things.

Why? Because nobody cares about men's health. There are a few reasons for this, but the results show. I can only talk numbers for my country (the US), but look at the difference in spending on women's health vs men's health.

Women are supposed to be beautiful creatures worthy of protecting at all costs. Men are seen as disposable and taught that their health is not worth the cost. Look at the number of workplace deaths in men vs women. Girls are taught that there is nothing more important than their health, boys are taught that their health comes second to monetary gains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Clearly because the NFL hates men.
    On the bright side, it's fun watching a bunch of huge-ass men forced to wear pink shoes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm offended that you got offended.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Yes in an ideal world all diseases and conditions would receive equal and appropriate attention - however even charities trend and become more and less popular over time. It's kind of rediculous to blame this on women though... also people atually think it's as simple of "chopping off a breast" the way you feel about your testicles is the way a woman feels about losing a breast >.<