Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    You don't pay much attention then:

http://us.movember.com/about/
    http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/05/br...er-of-victims/

hardly

movember doesn't get nearly as much support

It is estimated that fiscal year 2010 will end similarly, with breast cancer research getting $891 million and prostate cancer research receiving $399 million.

about the same number of men die from prostate cancer as women die of breast cancer, yet it gets half the funding essentially

just another aspect of society where men are second class

I know women that all support and campaign for breast cancer but don't do chit for men come november

which is why I don't support anything to do with breast cancer month

that's FEDERAL funding too btw

private donations would be an even larger gap.
    Last edited by rt7; 2012-10-05 at 12:48 PM.

Ideally awareness on a curable (with removal of breast e.g.) types is more important.

People becoming aware of lung cancer might make them stop smoking, yes but not very likely

People becoming aware of breast cancer, might go get checked and live a couple decades more.

Besides, awareness of non-research/medical related people, us, have no impact on finding a cure or anything.

The entire idea of the campaign is to prevent deaths from a perfectly treatable and curable with removal of an organ cancer by fighting ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you want to promote AWARENESS that's FINE. That does help screenings.

These campaigns really don't just promote awareness. They donate to breast cancer research which is also fine.

Have you seen how much money breast cancer research hauls in? A FRACTION of that money should be lucky enough to find its way to more worthy causes.

Look at this list

10 charity fundraisers for breast cancer.

Any other disease on the list is lucky to have ONE fundraiser.

Don't you think breast cancer gets a BIT too much attention compared to the myriad of other, extremely serious diseases?
    .....Nope. Because as I've said its easier to screen for breast cancer and treat it then say screen and cure ALS (random disease off your list). It might be easy enough to test for ALS (blood test? I dunno) but its not as preventable or curable as breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer. In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.
    There is such a thing as a lung transplant. So yes they can remove both lungs and put "new" ones in place of the cancerous ones. Please do even the slightlest research before ignorantly ranting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    You don't pay much attention then:

http://us.movember.com/about/
    Since so many men already wear a mustache year around, myself included, I dont think this is a very effective campaign and very few people have heard of it due to that fact. I never saw even ONE commercial for it. I never seen 250 products in the grocery store with mustaches all over the packaging, and I never saw a single person wearing a mustache lapel pin. In fact, many of the men who do participate dont even know what the true meaning is. Often they just think they are supposed to grow the silliest mustache for a contest.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by deathell View Post
    There is such a thing as a lung transplant. So yes they can remove both lungs and put "new" ones in place of the cancerous ones. Please do even the slightlest research before ignorantly ranting.
    I know you can do a transplant but I wasn't talking about that. There are so few organs available that a transplant is not feasible for 95% of lung cancer sufferers. I was stating you cannot REMOVE a lung and continue living, but you CAN remove a breast. There is a huge difference between a removal and a transplant
    Last edited by Orlong; 2012-10-05 at 01:36 PM.

I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October and every year it gets more and more intrusive with more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon mostly just for the PR effect so people think they care. I'm sick of seeing pink everywhere. It disgusts me that people only care about breast cancer. I lost 2 family members to prostate cancer yet you never hear a peep about promoting awareness for prostate cancer and I don't even know if there is a ribbon since if there is one, nobody wears it.

Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer. In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.

Why is Brest cancer any more important than every other cancer out there? Why cant we just have a general cancer awareness month and try to cure ALL cancers instead of discriminatingly only helping women.
    The breast cancer awareness campaigns are run by private charities with endowments. There a few reasons here:

1) Breast cancer occurs in very young people much more than other cancers.

2) Breast cancer is far less symptomatic than internal cancers and needs to be caught early.

3) Prostate cancer is much better about "following the rules" regarding age. US Health Care Reform did, in fact, increase coverage for preventative prostate cancer screenings starting at a younger age.

Basically, you're kind of being a bitch about a topic you clearly know nothing about. Private endowments established for the purpose of raising awareness for a particularly fickle, detectable, and preventable cancer are doing a public service.

Next thing you know, you'll be bitching about how the prison system disproportionately favors black people and that's reverse racism!

Deleted
    I didn't read the whole thread so if anyone already commented this, sorry.
    In Sweden there is a time during the year called the moustache fight, where all men who participate simply grow a moustache and/or beard. Alot of the people seen on news and other daily programs usually do this. So there is something similar to this breast cancer awareness for men :P

i still say that with all the things that are infuriating in the world today this ranks like 2670...out 2671.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Do my eyes betray me? Are you mad because people care and promote awareness for cancer? (Albeit only one type) But still, wtf OP?

If you want awareness of other types of cancer, then why don't you start something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgetjones View Post
    The breast cancer awareness campaigns are run by private charities with endowments. There a few reasons here:

1) Breast cancer occurs in very young people much more than other cancers.

2) Breast cancer is far less symptomatic than internal cancers and needs to be caught early.

3) Prostate cancer is much better about "following the rules" regarding age. US Health Care Reform did, in fact, increase coverage for preventative prostate cancer screenings starting at a younger age.

Basically, you're kind of being a bitch about a topic you clearly know nothing about. Private endowments established for the purpose of raising awareness for a particularly fickle, detectable, and preventable cancer are doing a public service.

Next thing you know, you'll be bitching about how the prison system disproportionately favors black people and that's reverse racism!
    So private endowments can now make an official national awareness month?

I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October and every year it gets more and more intrusive with more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon mostly just for the PR effect so people think they care. I'm sick of seeing pink everywhere. It disgusts me that people only care about breast cancer. I lost 2 family members to prostate cancer yet you never hear a peep about promoting awareness for prostate cancer and I don't even know if there is a ribbon since if there is one, nobody wears it.

Why is Brest cancer any more important than every other cancer out there? Why cant we just have a general cancer awareness month and try to cure ALL cancers instead of discriminatingly only helping women.
    My grandfather is dying of prostate cancer. My family and I support him and other prostate cancer charities.

What kind of a sick person are you to be offended by Breast Cancer awareness? Seriously?? It does no harm at all, it's not DECREASING awareness of any of the other Cancers, if anything it has a positive effect. Why is it so bad to you that lives are being saved from Cancer? It can't seriously be because it's in a different part of the body.

Your morals sicken ME, to be perfectly frank. Be happy that people are willing to support and save anyone. As the post below you points out, Breast Cancer is far more easily curable, and if the money there is more effective then how dare you try and draw away from it? People dying is people dying, save as many as you can. Breast Cancer awareness does not disadvantage you or other cancer sufferers in any way.

Get it into your head and stop being angry at the world. Just do what you can and be happy for others if they can do more.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

Since so many men already wear a mustache year around, myself included, I dont think this is a very effective campaign and very few people have heard of it due to that fact. I never saw even ONE commercial for it. I never seen 250 products in the grocery store with mustaches all over the packaging, and I never saw a single person wearing a mustache lapel pin. In fact, many of the men who do participate dont even know what the true meaning is. Often they just think they are supposed to grow the silliest mustache for a contest.
    Actually I think it's quite effective.

When a man you know starts growing a mustache for apparently no reason, you're going to ask questions. "Why I'm glad you asked..." you'll say and then you'll tell them about it.

When a woman who takes part in Movember (Which is probably more awesome than a man doing it) by drawing a mustache on her face or wearing a fake mustache it's going to raise some fucking eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actually I think it's quite effective.

When a man you know starts growing a mustache for apparently no reason, you're going to ask questions. "Why I'm glad you asked..." you'll say and then you'll tell them about it.

When a woman who takes part in Movember (Which is probably more awesome than a man doing it) by drawing a mustache on her face or wearing a fake mustache it's going to raise some fucking eyebrows.
    i think the mustache thing is awesome. i wish it would catch on here in the states

10+ Year Old Account
    We do have it here. It's called No Shave November.

Your mother and grandmother, sisters, female friends, girlfriends, ex girlfriends, female members of the senate and woman world leaders are very disappointed in you Orlong.

I think the reason for the awareness is simple.
    We all love boobies...
    Most of us anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    We do have it here. It's called No Shave November.
    is that what that's about? i honestly didnt know... could use use publicity imo

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mostly just going to be an excuse not to trim, if I'm going to be honest. Though it does require you to shave the entire beard off, and I haven't done that in over a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it is not nearly offensive, I find it laughable that I should care during any breast cancer whatever awareness cthulhu jesus rose from the dead month. I am afraid it doesn't register on my radar for caring. Not a priority on my agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    While it is not nearly offensive, I find it laughable that I should care during any breast cancer whatever awareness cthulhu jesus rose from the dead month. I am afraid it doesn't register on my radar for caring. Not a priority on my agenda.
    you know you really don't HAVE to care.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!