Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I do find it mildly irritating that, as a man, I'm excluded from a large percentage of the fundraising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    you know you really don't HAVE to care.
    Did that come off as me being oppressed or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer.
    Just to point out no Breast Cancer has one of the lowest death rates of all forms of cancer prostate one of the highest. While prostate cancer is one of the least funded breast cancer is the highest. It really comes down to PR you can show a woman in a shirt missing one of her breasts but you can not show a man missing his prostate. You can get a sob story from the man but you will not see anything wrong with him but the story from the woman you can see the effects right in front of you.

Is this right? No and I have actively talked about this subject in my home town at breast cancer fund raisers. Also been yelled at to STFU and learn to understand other people feels when I do so. Which is Bull they just dont like it when the truth is not what they like to hear.

The only irritating part about it, is that people focus alot on donating money to awareness, rather than the actual cure of the thing we should be aware of. It's really ponderous we throw "awareness" around and we think better of ourselves spreading awareness, like no one has ever heard how much of an asshole cancer can be in general.

Funnily enough, most of the times you actually become aware of an awful disease, is at a convince store with the picture of a 4-year old on a plastic jug, detailing a disease that's traceable back to the Congo for some reason...that has $14.35 in it.
    Last edited by Monstercloud; 2012-10-06 at 03:19 AM.

I agree that more support for other cancers is important. I was extatic to see the Safeways in my town raise awareness for prostate cancer and donated every chance i got, often times as much as i spent on groceries. just fyi, they do have a ribbon and a color. its baby blue if safeway is correct lol.

i dont think breast cancer is unimportant, but it is a lot of hype and not a lot of actual support. no pun intended. it is mostly for women but there are some cases where men get it too...just to point that out.

also, its not just october. i see an add for "its breast cancer awareness month this month" every other month. sometimes more often.
    kinda the same way with black history month. can we pick one month? its fine to support something at all times, but lets not call it a special time....every month.
    black people and women are special and should be treated better than everyone else...obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by The soulless View Post
    Just to point out no Breast Cancer has one of the lowest death rates of all forms of cancer prostate one of the highest. While prostate cancer is one of the least funded breast cancer is the highest. It really comes down to PR you can show a woman in a shirt missing one of her breasts but you can not show a man missing his prostate. You can get a sob story from the man but you will not see anything wrong with him but the story from the woman you can see the effects right in front of you.

Is this right? No and I have actively talked about this subject in my home town at breast cancer fund raisers. Also been yelled at to STFU and learn to understand other people feels when I do so. Which is Bull they just dont like it when the truth is not what they like to hear.
    The reason for this is because upon death most cancer deaths are from recurred cancers, My mothers cancer was not recorded as breast cancer, but liver cancer, even though the cancer originated and came from the breast.

You will find that most people will die before the cancer kills them because of the chemotherapy, it is not uncommon for people to die from just getting a cold during chemotherapy as they lack the white blood cell count to fight the illness due to the chemo killing them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
    Why? Because nobody cares about men's health. There are a few reasons for this, but the results show. I can only talk numbers for my country (the US), but look at the difference in spending on women's health vs men's health.

Women are supposed to be beautiful creatures worthy of protecting at all costs. Men are seen as disposable and taught that their health is not worth the cost. Look at the number of workplace deaths in men vs women. Girls are taught that there is nothing more important than their health, boys are taught that their health comes second to monetary gains.
    The fuck do you live XD

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I am really getting offended by this Breast cancer awareness every October and every year it gets more and more intrusive with more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon mostly just for the PR effect so people think they care. I'm sick of seeing pink everywhere. It disgusts me that people only care about breast cancer. I lost 2 family members to prostate cancer yet you never hear a peep about promoting awareness for prostate cancer and I don't even know if there is a ribbon since if there is one, nobody wears it.

Just as many people die from prostate cancer , lung cancer, bone cancer and others as people who die from breast cancer. In addition, when someone gets breast cancer a LOT of those people can be cured simply by removing the cancerous breast. You cant remove a prostate or lungs and continue to live.

Why is Brest cancer any more important than every other cancer out there? Why cant we just have a general cancer awareness month and try to cure ALL cancers instead of discriminatingly only helping women.
    While I agree that breast cancer doesn't really need anymore awareness, http://imgur.com/gallery/LQGwx

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I do find it mildly irritating that, as a man, I'm excluded from a large percentage of the fundraising.
    Yeah this is what annoys me the most, how all the actual fundraising is like women only for breast cancer, when its not like men cant get it, or be affected by a loved one getting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    OP, allow me to direct your attention to: http://uk.movember.com/
    A month recognized internationally, dedicated to raising awareness and funds for men's health concerns (primarily testicular and prostate cancers). As this topic is clearly something very close to your heart, perhaps you would consider getting involved and actually doing something to help, instead of ranting on an internet forum? Sign up for movember, grow a magnificent 'stache and strike a blow for raising awareness.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMexican View Post
    Yeah this is what annoys me the most, how all the actual fundraising is like women only for breast cancer, when its not like men cant get it, or be affected by a loved one getting it.
    I really am not sure what you are talking about. Go to a Race for the Cure event. It is HARDLY anything but just women.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

US government funding for breast cancer in 2009 - $599m dollars
    US government funding for prostate cancer in 2009 - $293m dollars

Nearly equal people got diagnosed with breast and prostate cancer in 2009.
    Last edited by Lassira; 2012-10-06 at 06:53 PM.