Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Do I use management skills I practice on guildmates in real life? Yes.
    Like? Do you have examples?
    I am just trying to find out what skills and if this is really possible; as I am convinced that wow doesn't teach anything valuable.
    So, if you have examples... that would be great.

    I assume you are leading members in some team irl?

    I am a manager in the IT world and have to deal with some different groups of people (Like: designers, engineers, support, frontline and users). I do this for like 20 years now.
    I play wow since tbc... and I have yet not found any skill i picked up in wow that I use irl.

  2. #122
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,109
    How to lead by example
    How to settle disputes while being fair
    How to discipline members while being fair
    How to make decisions that affect the entire guild and the raiding core that everyone can agree with
    How to communicate these decisions and receive feedback from other guildmates.
    How to keep moral up even after wiping multiple times

    All of these can be used in real life situations.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  3. #123
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Anti-Frost Mage Camp.
    Posts
    17,041
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    How to lead by example
    How to settle disputes while being fair
    How to discipline members while being fair
    How to make decisions that affect the entire guild and the raiding core that everyone can agree with
    How to communicate these decisions and receive feedback from other guildmates.
    How to keep moral up even after wiping multiple times

    All of these can be used in real life situations.
    You forgot the most important; delegation. The means by which you can do nothing but claim credit for it.

  4. #124
    She uses EJ she would have my vote if lived there.

  5. #125
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    Doesnt matter what MMO-C thinks about WoW or what it teaches.

    People who dont game more than casually(casual as in "plants vs zombies and minesweeper") dont think, know or want to know that games improve any skills.

    When someone says games are evil and is ruining youth, they think games are evil and ruin youth (like books, rock music, elvis did when they were young).
    We know theres LOT of people like this, so ads like this hit those people the most. Its not everyone, but its kinda hefty amount of people. Some elders, "extreme religious people", people who get anxious when stuff they like get bashed not wanting to be part of it etc.

    Also sadly I have to sort of agree that WoW does not teach people much. But this is because the person is going for politic candidate.
    For normal person with no prior experience of politics or management skills its great and awesome. Doenst mean you become amazing, but its great practice.

    But lets say Obama and Romney wouldnt become better at management if they played WoW
    "when women wear makeup they’re basically lying to us"
    Well, I don’t see why women are being blamed if man is stupid enough to really think they have red and gold eyelids.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You forgot the most important; delegation. The means by which you can do nothing but claim credit for it.
    Please. I learned that in my racketeering ring back in elementary school.

    Or, as I would put it on my resume, I "learned how to minimize risk in my ventures while maximizing profits".
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    How to lead by example
    How to settle disputes while being fair
    How to discipline members while being fair
    How to make decisions that affect the entire guild and the raiding core that everyone can agree with
    How to communicate these decisions and receive feedback from other guildmates.
    How to keep moral up even after wiping multiple times

    All of these can be used in real life situations.
    Eeeehhhhh these are things I learned irl and then brought into my wow-play.
    You actually learned them online playing wow?

    So you where never part of a group of friends where you learned how to have fun with a whole group and working around different preferences? You learned that in wow?
    Also communication in wow? and like all the things you mention..... they seem to be stuff you learn irl, just during living it!
    If you went to school prior to playing wow then you practiced all of these things prior to playing wow.

    So I don't think these are skills brought to you by wow.
    Last edited by Synstir; 2012-10-05 at 02:10 PM.

  8. #128
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Anti-Frost Mage Camp.
    Posts
    17,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    Eeeehhhhh these are things I learned irl and then brought into my wow-play.
    You actually learned them online playing wow?

    So you where never part of a group of friends where you learned how to have fun with a whole group and working around different preferences? You learned that in wow?
    Also communication in wow? and like all the things you mention..... they seem to be stuff you learn irl, just during living it!
    Not I, we're speaking hypothetically.

    But, not everyone has business management training.

  9. #129
    More proof that Republicans are backwards and closed minded.

    Shocking!

  10. #130
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Anti-Frost Mage Camp.
    Posts
    17,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    More proof that Republicans are backwards and closed minded.

    Shocking!
    Both sides have their crazies. The left wing has their Anarchists and Communists, the right has their crazy Christians and Fascists. The former tend to get reported less because they are by their nature anti-establishment.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not I, we're speaking hypothetically.

    But, not everyone has business management training.
    No, we are not speaking hypothetically; we are speaking about skills that wow teaches us and that we use irl.

    [AND: that post was a reaction to Orissa's post, so I wasn't talking about you]

  12. #132
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    No, not really. This is something some wow-players think.......wow doesn't contribute to your skill irl.

    if this is your opinion, do you have it on your resume?
    I put it on my resume. as a result I got an internship at Merrrill Lynch. Put down that I successfully lead a group of 25 strangers through Icecrown, back when it was relevant.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    So I don't think these are skills brought to you by wow.
    In some cases WoW gives you the opportunity to learn those skills; in others it gives you the opportunity to practice them. I, for one, learned more about group dynamics and leadership through raiding than anything I had the chance to do IRL. This is speaking as somebody who was part of the Scouts movement for somewhere around 8 years.

    Doomhammer EU

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Both sides have their crazies. The left wing has their Anarchists and Communists, the right has their crazy Christians and Fascists. The former tend to get reported less because they are by their nature anti-establishment.
    I suppose so, but at lest the left wing doesn't accuse half of the nation of being bums / beggars.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    So I don't think these are skills brought to you by wow.
    These are skills that you only really develop if you are put into a position of leadership and you excel at it.

    Not everyone is made a leader, obviously, so not everyone has these skills.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  16. #136
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Anti-Frost Mage Camp.
    Posts
    17,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I suppose so, but at lest the left wing doesn't accuse half of the nation of being bums / beggers.
    No, our crazies accuse the nation of being capitalist pigdogs.

  17. #137

  18. #138
    Are you kidding? I'd never vote for her.

    Damn Democrats never finish ANYTHING


    Level 68...that's just sad.


    -EDIT-


    So I just checked her armory and she has since gotten to 85...but an iLevel 346?
    Come on...damn liberal probably doesn't even know what "RAID" means
    Last edited by jayinjersey; 2012-10-05 at 02:20 PM.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No, our crazies accuse the nation of being capitalist pigdogs.
    Yes, but we don't put our crazies up as the presidential candidate...

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinjersey View Post
    Are you kidding? I'd never vote for her.

    Damn Democrats never finish ANYTHING

    Level 68...that's just sad.
    And apparently republicans will look at a single quote and take that to be the final word?

    I mean, the smear site even links to her profile where you do see she got to level 85...
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •