Should I ever wait for lava burst to come off cool down?

I would assume waiting is bad but i'd like to hear what other people have to say. If there is 1 second or less left on the lava burst cool down should I wait or cast something else even though that will push back a lava burst?
    Last edited by Saisen; 2012-10-04 at 10:10 PM.
    Games don't make people violent. Lag does. Release delay does. Dumb people do.
    Nostalgia is the enemy of rational thought.

Deleted
    Try sim it

But generally I think you should never wait or cancel casts. Unless the time you have to wait is very small. But idk, again, sim it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The general rule of thumb for caster DPS is ABC.
    Always
    Be
    Casting.

There are going to be breakpoints where the tradeoff for waiting on LvB is lower than casting an LB and delaying the LvB, but in practice, it's a value that's 1> relatively small, and 2> constantly changing with gear increments. There's no real way to recommend it for most players, though if you REALLY know what you're doing and sim everything maniacally and have low latency, you might be able to squeak out a minor improvement. I'm not saying you'll find that on the sim, but I wouldn't be amazed if a delay of, say, under .1 seconds would be reasonable in "pausing" your rotation to wait on an LvB cooldown.

No No No. Time is money and DPS friend, If you're not GCD locked or having a cast bar you are doing it wrong. Even the slightest gap would be better to be used to refresh searing totem than not doing anything. Now go back and hammer your hotkeys and line up all those spell. The only thing you delay to use is your Cooldowns and maybe... Elemental Blast, well it is more of a priority skip/shuffle, where you shuffle it so that the potential buff covers 2 shocks, Flame shock (DPS increase if Haste procs) and Earth Shock (Better damage if Crit buff)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxJeng View Post
    No No No. Time is money and DPS friend, If you're not GCD locked or having a cast bar you are doing it wrong. Even the slightest gap would be better to be used to refresh searing totem than not doing anything.
    This is overly simplistic. Refreshing Searing Totem still triggers a 1s GCD. It's perfectly possible that there's a breakpoint at a certain fraction of a second where holding your cast for LvB's cooldown makes sense, but the gains you'd see from doing so would be tiny and the difficulty barrier is pretty significant, so it's basically not worth it. Running some sims doesn't show anything at this point, but it's the kind of thing we might see with further gear, when the damage contribution of Lava Burst outweighs Lightning Bolt to a greater degree than it currently does.

"Not worth doing" and "not currently working out that way" isn't quite the same as "not ever possible", though, which is why I'm being nitpicky.

I am not the best player in the world but today on Feng (I pulled 64.7k dps on our kill) I had to constantly tell myself not to twitch do something bad when I was not doing anything for a second, sometimes even two. You can refresh as Endus said but just be sure you don't GCD screw yourself.

Thank you for your replies, especially you Endus. Your guide and the replies you have made on this forum have helped me to better understand this class.
    Games don't make people violent. Lag does. Release delay does. Dumb people do.
    Nostalgia is the enemy of rational thought.