Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    My take on it is personified by the old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Expecting anything more then nothing is foolish at this point.
    This. AN is all marketing flourish, with very little to back it up. They have a great art team, but their designers and developers are quite incompetent and too arrogant to realize it.

There's a broken skill challenge that was broken two patches ago. I came through with a new character and that exact same one is still broken, only now there's plenty of other ones broken along with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    So.. they put out a page saying "Hey there guess what we are hard at work on that game lots of folks like and here are the teams we have developing content!" and all the trolls have to come out and spew butt hurt eh?

Typical.

Believe me Im not fan of bugged events, DE's and so on and there is plenty of them that need fixing but for God's sake get over it already. If you don't like it dont play but you might want to read that part where there is a team that supposedly is fixing this stuff. It NEEDS fixed and not doing so will make or break them in the long run but there is nothing wrong with them show casing what they are doing with the game and telling the community this is what we have planned long term and here is how we go about it.

The proof is in the pudding as they say. They absolutely need to get a handle on the root cause of what is breaking the DE's and Skill point challenges and get it taken care of. This in my opinion is the main issue right now plaguing the game.

Those few 'broken' skillpoints and/or DEs never impeded us from enjoying the game. I just moved on, since it doesn't impact the game-play in any way. When we played wow, quite a few broken class/gear mechanics impeded us from enjoying the game and even then we didn't inundate the fora with tears of agony. We just stated the problem and hoped for a fix. Unfortunately those broken mechanics were only just addressed - one year after its first detection.

Now that's game-breaking. Crying about a few minor bugs, ridiculous. But hey, it's expected from the people in question.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2012-10-05 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    They absolutely need to get a handle on the root cause of what is breaking the DE's and Skill point challenges and get it taken care of. This in my opinion is the main issue right now plaguing the game.
    This. DE's are working perfectly fine with every server restart only to get broken a few hours later. But then again on this new character I made 3 days ago (currently lvl 40) I have yet to encounter ONE bugged event or ANY bug at all apart from the odd TP lag.
    I do see however a pattern: SWTOR *cough* *cough*.
    Once again it falls down to expectations,logic and reality.

I don't mind the bugs that much, they'll get fixed in time.

The real problem are bad design decisions that I thought were bugs/oversights, but are actually intentional. And the fact that people like Jon Peters now defend them with lies and bullshit. E.g. the low FoV, short camera distance, mouse and camera smoothing, narrow LoS arc, slow strafing, nonsensical itemization, pointless WvW etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    I don't mind the bugs that much, they'll get fixed in time.

The real problem are bad design decisions that I thought were bugs/oversights, but are actually intentional. And the fact that people like Jon Peters now defend them with lies and bullshit. E.g. the low FoV, short camera distance, mouse and camera smoothing, narrow LoS arc, slow strafing, nonsensical itemization, pointless WvW etc.
    Some of those are valid indeed, however I fail to see where the itemization is nonsensical?
    WvWvw is not pointless at all, at least for me, loads of fun to be had.
    Slow strafing I think is intentional, and makes some sense as to why you would want that in a game that you can dodge arrows by strafing

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    Some of those are valid indeed, however I fail to see where the itemization is nonsensical?
    WvWvw is not pointless at all, at least for me, loads of fun to be had.
    Slow strafing I think is intentional, and makes some sense as to why you would want that in a game that you can dodge arrows by strafing
    Part of this is the horrible class balance, but since I haven't seen any MMORPG since DAoC manage to produce good class balance or functioning PvP, I didn't mention it. WvW, however, is supposed to be an RvR copy, but it falls short on so many aspects:

• There's no point for our guild to raid during our peak times (late evening), since 1-2 hours later the night shift is going to retake it all (and we won't be back until the next night since we have jobs/uni).
    • It's designed for casuals. There's no real grouping system, everyone moves at about the same speed, the distances between objectives are negligible etc. pp. which all results in a pointless ping-pong zerg fest.
    • There's no long term incentive. Server score doesn't mean anything, Badges are almost useless... most of the time you're just trying to keep your inventory clean from the tons of white weapons and armor pieces you get.
    • There's no equivalent to DAoC's 8vs8. s/tPvP isn't enjoyable for the usual reasons, but just the fact that it exists means that most people who could potentially become worthy opponents don't look for fights in WvW. And who could blame them, given that WvW has gear/level differences, ridiculous consumables and a lack of open space?

And the problem with GW2's tunnel vision (both camera and controls/movement) is simply that it limits the player. If you're fighting the game before you fight other players, good PvP becomes impossible.
    Last edited by Feranor; 2012-10-05 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    What do you think should be done to live teams that never fix the end boss? ;-)
    I think they should spend less effort on hype, advertising and astroturfing and more on actual support.

pointless WvW etc.
    The point of WvW is to have fun and gain bonuses for your server. Its not pointless. Even if your "losing" your still winning bonuses for your server. Thats the whole point of WvW. To facilitate large scale PvP, To have an Open World of PvP, to gain bonuses for your server, and to have fun.

Its not about being the team with the most points after every week or 2 weeks, its not about rankings, its not about 1 server fully capping all the maps and the other 2 servers giving up because they cant "win" its not about "winning" or "losing" its about the things i mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I think they should spend less effort on hype, advertising and astroturfing and more on actual support.
    What do you think these live teams are? They are support teams. GG

Deleted
    And the problem with GW2's tunnel vision (both camera and controls/movement) is simply that it limits the player. If you're fighting the game before you fight other players, good PvP becomes impossible.
    It depends where you come from. If you come from an FPS background (which pre-dates MMORPG type combat) then you get used to the idea that you have to keep looking around you.

Limiting field of view means you can't just scroll back and get a birds eye picture. It means you can actually sneak up on people just because they're not looking at you without needing stealth mechanics. It adds another dimension to the combat.

I do like the wide field of view, scrolled back, but it does simplify it a lot and makes it feel a lot lazier. You tend to need to though in the games that offer it as those game tend to assume you can do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real problem are bad design decisions that I thought were bugs/oversights, but are actually intentional. And the fact that people like Jon Peters now defend them with lies and bullshit
    Look.. just because YOU don't like their design and design decisions does not mean they are lying about anything. Come on now, its their game and they designed it a certain way. You can chose to play or not to play but in the end there are several somewhat controversial decisions that where indeed purposely made because they felt the game was better for it. You can chose to not like it but enough with the evil corporation lying to us BS.

Humorous considering its one page on their Facebook account and maybe a twitter feed update.. Yep damn them for wasting that half an hour's worth of someones salary that should of been spent on support

except that that trivial half an hour came out of a departments budget that has nothing to do with support...

Quote Originally Posted by ct67 View Post
    It depends where you come from. If you come from an FPS background (which pre-dates MMORPG type combat) then you get used to the idea that you have to keep looking around you.

Limiting field of view means you can't just scroll back and get a birds eye picture. It means you can actually sneak up on people just because they're not looking at you without needing stealth mechanics. It adds another dimension to the combat.

I do like the wide field of view, scrolled back, but it does simplify it a lot and makes it feel a lot lazier. You tend to need to though in the games that offer it as those game tend to assume you can do this.
    Panning your camera around to look for incoming enemies is standard procedure in DAoC, since the out of combat movement speed is very high. DAoC with GW2's camera constraints would've been a complete nightmare. You would've been as good as blind.

Having to flick your camera left and right all the time because you're staring through a telescope is nothing but tedious.

Look.. just because YOU don't like their design and design decisions does not mean they are lying about anything. Come on now, its their game and they designed it a certain way. You can chose to play or not to play but in the end there are several somewhat controversial decisions that where indeed purposely made because they felt the game was better for it. You can chose to not like it but enough with the evil corporation lying to us BS.
    The opinion card? About time. Sorry, I don't deal in opinions. They mave have felt that the game was better for their decisions, but they're wrong. And Jon Peters is lying or gravely mistaken (wherever you'd like to put the benefit of the doubt) in saying that the reasons for obnoxious camera are performance, art and fairness (Edit: source: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-of-view/first). Just like he said that Necros were fine and just needed to l2p.
    Last edited by Feranor; 2012-10-05 at 12:55 PM.

Deleted
    Funny, beside some bugged SP i had no troubles at all. But i was born lucky, so i can't really say.
    However, my idea of "gamebreaking" is way, way different.
    The grey map Fencer said, that's annoying, but she's the first one i heard with that problem.
    Far from perfect game, but nothing to complain here.
    And about new content. Damn, i'm just lvl 30. Gimme a break, there are already too many things to do!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The opinion card? About time
    As I said your entitled to your's. However seeing as its been this way sense beta, that the camera has the ability to dynamically move and even scroll out as it does during large scale DE's / Dragon fights the capability IS there. That they CHOSE to not implement it is a design choice they made early on in the game. You can chose to not like it you can chose to tin foil hat some conspiracy if it floats your boat and makes you all warm inside but in the end it was their decision to make. You can chose to like it or not but its not going to change.

It's interesting how I can come on the forums and see how life is in other dimensions. Makes me appreciate my dimension a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of this is the horrible class balance, but since I haven't seen any MMORPG since DAoC manage to produce good class balance
    Did you just say DAoC had good class balance?!

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Anybody who says the stuff he says, plus saying "Sorry, I don't deal in opinions", is probably someone you shouldn't got too deep in discussion with.

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Yes. There were some anomalies, usually when new classes were introduced (e.g. Savage, Bainshee, Warlock) but those were fixed comparatively quickly (not counting the massive delay on EU patches thanks to GoA), but the overall balance, especially given that the game has 45 different classes, was quite good.

On that note, an important factor is the stability of class balance. Mythic generally makes small, incremental changes to DAoC classes. You don't have to worry that your class will become overpowered or underpowered every single patch, as is the case in most other MMORPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Anybody who says the stuff he says, plus saying "Sorry, I don't deal in opinions", is probably someone you shouldn't got too deep in discussion with.
    Look at this post:

As I said your entitled to your's. However seeing as its been this way sense beta, that the camera has the ability to dynamically move and even scroll out as it does during large scale DE's / Dragon fights the capability IS there. That they CHOSE to not implement it is a design choice they made early on in the game. You can chose to not like it you can chose to tin foil hat some conspiracy if it floats your boat and makes you all warm inside but in the end it was their decision to make. You can chose to like it or not but its not going to change.
    See what he's doing? He can't refute what I'm saying, so instead he uses ad hominem (e.g. the tinfoil hat card) and patronizing rhetoric to try and dismiss the point instead.

Ooh, that's just an opinion! And as we all know all know everyone's entitled to their opinions! Opinions are all equal! So whatever I say is just as good! It's all a wash!

10+ Year Old Account
    See what he's doing? He can't refute what I'm saying, so instead he uses ad hominem (e.g. the tinfoil hat card) and patronizing rhetoric to try and dismiss the point instead.
    While I am amused that your so worked up about this I am not dismissing anything nor do I feel a need to refute what is YOUR OPINION. The facts are there are some systems in this game that work in ways YOU do not like. Thats fine no one said you had to like them. However you then go on trying to make it into some conspiracy / dev's lying to us issue which I find ridiculous. You can either like certain parts of the game or not but that doesnt mean just because something doesn't work the way YOU believe it should the company is lying to cover up something.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-10-05 at 02:21 PM.