Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Warlock S12 pvp observation's

Ok guys now that we are 90 and have had time to grind out a full set of gear and start arena's how does the specs feel to you guys? I tried out a few things and have to say that the class as a whole feels GREAT!!! Affliction spread damage still feels pretty good but not having the self heals feels a bit awkward but it feels nice to actually "help" with getting the kills for once"haunt/mg ftw". Overall I think the spec is gonna be top notch again"especially when paired with a resto druid" and still has what it takes to compete at a high level. I haven't tried out demo yet but destro also feels pretty solid for burst comps "played 2's with a frost mage and added a boomkin for 3's" but not really "pressure" comps with a healer. Overall im very pleased with the MOP model, but that being said I wrote down a short list of qol issues. Feel free to agree/disagree/comment below.

1-Pets are dying WAY to fast!!! Even with instant summons on a 1 min cd the speed in which another player can destroy my pet is unreal. And thats at the first tier level of gear. I'd hate to see how this issue becomes after another tier or so "I dread actually "

2-Unending resolve is a great spell but most locks are using it for the aura mastery effect and not the defense so it really should have the DR be reduced to 20 or 30% but have the cd lowered to 2 min for a tradeoff. DB is another talent with that same long cd problem but since we have the option of taking SP on a 1 min cd i'm gonna leave that one alone even though it should be at 2 min as well "Standard time even on pvp trinkets and such".

3-Siphon life glyph is just WAY undertuned to the health and damage pools. This glyph needs a buff BIGTIME!!!

4-Twilight ward has a very small absorb compared to other classes absorb shields and it should also absorb ALL damage instead of magic only. I'm finding I can tank other casters "even mages...for the most part " just fine but the minute a physical damage class gets on me I have to pop cd's or die and it should be more even defensively across the board like mages and spriests are "the other clothie casters with way better damage absorb shields on top of thier oh shit buttons lol "

5-Destro specific issues-Conflag should help with ember regeneration like all the other abilities. And destro's Rain of fire stun "even with mannoroth's fury" just does not work as an effective form of cc to be able to get of chaos bolts with "which destro is struggling with currently in arena's" and actually causes DR with other abilities which actually hurts some of the class options to team up with. Hopefully Xelnath comes through next patch with resolving this problem and trading that "frequent and weak" stun for an active one which would be a HUGE fix to the spec.

The only other "issues" really to touch on would be the level 90 talents. There is another thread discussing these so I won't go into to much detail but I can tell the lock community is upset over them. I posted before a simple idea to help try and fix them.

AV-Remove the active and buff the passive to 10 or 15%

KJC- Just remove the passives and keep the active.

MF- Just fine mostly, pvp abilities like shadowfury and whiplash could be added though and it wouldn't hurt anything.

These are just my personal observation's but I welcome a constructive conversation on whether these"or other" things are currently affecting our S12 gameplay. So anyone else out there currently doing arena's feel free to give your thoughts.
    Last edited by Lucidious; 2012-10-07 at 04:59 PM.

Deleted
    Siphon life is a joke, on targets with ZERO (PVE) resilience, it contributes to just over 500hps.

Does a world of good when you factor in resilience!

Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Siphon life is a joke, on targets with ZERO (PVE) resilience, it contributes to just over 500hps.

Does a world of good when you factor in resilience!
    I thought the same thing. My undead racial does more healing BY FAR then that glyph does in a bg. I don't think it should be over the top but it should at least be useful i'm thinking. I have always liked the life draining element of a warlock and this glyph just doesn't seem to do it's job or even try to find a way to be useful at all for level 90. Not for solo'ing,dailie's,pve,pvp, anything. That's why it made my "top 5 of please fix" game tester's list lol.
    Last edited by Lucidious; 2012-10-05 at 07:42 AM.

warlocks are regulars at topping damage done and kills charts in battlegrounds and i have to try fairly hard to kill one yesterday a affliction lock in WSG Horde side did over 13 million damage 6 million ahead of the next guy and had 23 kbs \ 3 deaths so i would say they are fairly balanced atm.

They arnt unkillable like shadow priests or warriors are but thats because those classes need to be toned down.

The ones that i have had the most problems with are warriors.. I dunno why, are they somewhat tuned to be amazing at the moment? Pretty much the only ones that make me think about going somewhere else than spells flinging their direction (that sadly come back my direction very often).

Deleted
    Excuse the language here, but I must vent a little.

FUCKING WARRIORS GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS GAME!

I hate them so much, if you can get a cast out considering their plethora of stuns, interrupts and silences, it'll just get reflected back to you.

Add on top of them being nigh immortal sub 35% health if you haven't got an ember left from having to heal yourself through their absolutely absurd relentless stream of insane damage, I just don't get how the hell any lock is supposed to have a remote chance against a good warrior.

Have to agree with most of your points, my lock feels much more fun and effective in BG's but the syphon life glyph is pointless. Priests are ridiculous currently, you have zero chance against a good priest 1v1 and warriors aren’t far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelol View Post
    The ones that i have had the most problems with are warriors.. I dunno why, are they somewhat tuned to be amazing at the moment? Pretty much the only ones that make me think about going somewhere else than spells flinging their direction (that sadly come back my direction very often).
    This class tends to be the worst to go up against "followed by BM hunters lol" because our twilight ward doesn't absorb thier damage. It only absorbs magic damage and although that covers alot of classes it does not cover physical damage. And as a result physical damage is so effective against us that we have to pop our major cd's against those classes almost as soon as possible"instead of an all absorb shield like priests and mages have to tank any class with". Thats why I think twilight ward should absorb all damage schools. That and just a bit of self healing "siphon life glyph" and we might just be a tanky caster yet"As promised"
    Last edited by Lucidious; 2012-10-05 at 11:43 AM.

glyph of siphon life is retardly overpowered against a full resi target im getting 400 ticks . 400 !!!! THATS ALOT
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Excuse the language here, but I must vent a little.

FUCKING WARRIORS GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS GAME!

I hate them so much, if you can get a cast out considering their plethora of stuns, interrupts and silences, it'll just get reflected back to you.

Add on top of them being nigh immortal sub 35% health if you haven't got an ember left from having to heal yourself through their absolutely absurd relentless stream of insane damage, I just don't get how the hell any lock is supposed to have a remote chance against a good warrior.
    Don't worry I foresee more nerfs to them, Not going to lie they're brutal in this beginning of an expansion.

dont really care about warrior damage atm im more concerned about trading damage for self heals which no other class doing (hybrids casting heals dont count its by design)

bring back the old siphon life made soul link baseline again without the retarded 50% pet hp reduction (who the fuck thought about it anyway, the pet die in 2sec even without 50% less hp)

damage will get better with proper pvp power weapons its the healing im worried about
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

What I don't get is why should I trade so much damage and resources for utility and healing? Why should I go through so much preparation and ramp-up to burst as good as - if not worse than- other classes as Destruction?

Deleted
    done a couple of arenas, wow it is horrible atm. I am lacking in PvP power a little due to the PAINFUL honour grind from 450 to 458 gear, but I have just changed to petless Destro. if you spec soul-link you take horrible cleave damage as well as not being to LoS as effectively, and if you dont' take Soul Link but use a pet, then GG your pet will die in 5-10 seconds against a good team, and if you Soulburn/Demonic Rebirth/Burning Ember a new one then GG it dies straight away and you can't resummon.

Yeah I know as locks we always want buffs for our classes because we feel underpowered. I do agree with siphon life glyph, its a joke. Again Blizz always gives us crumbs never a whole slice. Also Unending resolve is little underpowered. Again I know mages ice barrier is way stronger than locks. To me its the same old thing the past two expansions. We look to be great running around in a team bg or arena with support but get us solo or pug bg's we again are going to be toast.

Also who else thinks affliction aoe is horrible. Yes for pve but dang I miss shadowflame or not have Howl because times when stealth are around or you trying to keep them off flag you are screwed.

1. stop making conclution on bgs,1vs1 go step into an arena and pray that you dont get a warrior

2. go multy dot everthing

3. find that your dots hits for 0 w/o MF

4. get raped in the arena

5. enjoy your class
    Last edited by gez; 2012-10-05 at 04:06 PM.

Damage: Destro's 'burst' is a joke right now compared to Shadow/Frost/Fire/Elle. Not the the numbers are bad, because theyre not - 2 CBs and a conflag is a lot of dmg. But we wait waaaaaay too long to do it - once every 2:40 when UE is up and we have 3 embers pooled. Other classes can burst every 30 seconds, we're stuck building embers forever, waiting for a perfect los, and popping UE to avoid interrupts to unleash ours. Too much effort for what other classes can achieve with quadruple the frequency. Aff requires too much channeling to do damage now and multi-dotting puts out no pressure. I have had a lot less luck with it than Destro which at least can Conflag/FF for some pressure while being trained 24/7.

Survivability: When I can get a gateway up, survivability is semi-manageable - still get gibbed fairly often by melee even with it tho. Without gateway, some matches get painful. Every competent team just trains me all match. We don't suck, so we win games, but my healer is struggling with mana against 1800 mmr teams atm mainly due to me. Sad. Pets are unplayable imo due to their hp, so I have only used GoSac.

CC: Not much to say here. We don't have a ton anymore. Fear is still great. I'm forced into Howl now due to being double face trained all day. It's nice with the CD reduction while being hit. It's not enough to take pressure off me though. Having less CC than Resto Druids sucks to no end.

This isn't new or surprising, but it still sucks to be asked by your partners to finish leveling your mage (88 currently).

Aff multidotting is depressing atm. In arena, I feel like my spread pressure is crap. I think some of it has to do with how ridiculous healing is atm, people just don't "rot down" anymore. You have to channel MG to do any significant damage.
    In bgs however, aff is the top dmg spec because you get unlimited shards from drain soul and u just soulburn dots onto every target in sight. Note that the damage is pretty much healed by self healing though, its just padded damage that looks nice.

Destro - chaos bolt is insane burst with cds....if you can get it off. I feel like many of the times where I get them off could have been stopped by the other team if they knew what they were doing.
    Also the damage difference between a Chaos bolt with CDs and no CDs is massive. On use + demon soul literally more then doubles chaos bolt damage.

As for balance overall certain classes are so over the top compared to us. BM hunters, warriors, mages in particular...

no aff multidotting is dead aff is more about bursting/sustained dmgs with MF/haunt thats all dont wasted your time on multidotting if you dont need to protec a debuff with ua
    i just multi dot targets when i need to protec a debuff or just to keep my nighfall proc mroe often

10+ Year Old Account
    currently I have been playing demo pvp, which is quite fun, but the fury intake so small, that I am forced to play demo as DA. Now, tank pvp is fun, but, fury ward is currently bugged that I cannot use it (4pc pvp overwrites it), unless i begin a fight with DA on (by going pve gear, then going into DA, then switching to pvp gear, where fury ward can still be used.) Survivability is goddly, as in this form, I can kill the unsuspecting everything (cept healers). Even warriors are a joke, 1v1.

can we stop talking about random bgs and 1vs1 plz? focus on rated pvp not random stuff i melt the hell out of ppl in random pvp with destro arena is totally diferent