Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I do notice that I am getting focused ALOT as im hitting higher ratings. No damage reduction/self heals/crappy absorb shield that doesnt work on physical damage/ and 3 min cd's are the problem. On a positive note the few games that the other team didn't just tunnel me were amazing. The offensive toolkits feel fine and I finally tried demo in the arena and demo can survive WAY better then the other specs and that is because the spec has CC and mobility. Im gonna stick with destro main spec against all odds this xpac just like last xpac though cause ive always been loyal to the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidious View Post
    I do notice that I am getting focused ALOT as im hitting higher ratings. No damage reduction/self heals/crappy absorb shield that doesnt work on physical damage/ and 3 min cd's are the problem. On a positive note the few games that the other team didn't just tunnel me were amazing. The offensive toolkits feel fine and I finally tried demo in the arena and demo can survive WAY better then the other specs and that is because the spec has CC and mobility. Im gonna stick with destro main spec against all odds this xpac just like last xpac though cause ive always been loyal to the spec.
    ofc all the high rated peeps know that if you just tunnel the lock he will run out of cds then the locks team has to go into defensive which further gives the attacking team the potential to set up kills.

I have never been, during my whole gameplay in WoW, so appauled and disgusted by PvP.
    I chained 2v2 with a restoration shaman and found the new concept of PvP repulsive. Health going back and up, opponent healers not giving a damn about my burst, opponent DPS doing more burst, ten times faster than I do in terms of preparation and output.
    I lost to a Frost Dk/Holy Paladin comp that was backpedaling and playing like morons. Sure I was lagging like hell and couldn't play properly, but I should NEVER, EVER lose to such inexperienced scums that won by barely bashing 4 buttons (literally).
    I'm not a random warlock that doesn't know anything about arena, I had dedication and perseverance during every season in Cataclysm, and played great with a gimped spec. But this is just stupid. The whole concept of the spec, and Player vs Player is just plain retarded. This time it's worse, and I'm not going through the same shit again.

This is the honest truth, no exaggerations whatsoever. I tried to give the whole thing a try, but I was extremely disappointed and driven away from the game...

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 04:14 PM ----------

I'll stop the game or roll a mage, go figure.

speaking of arena, I was capping in 2s on wednesday, so played some SP/ lock with a friend and almost every team had a warrior litteraly , and what surprised me most was meeting BM hunter + arms warrior in 2v2, me and the SP were like " ok these guys are scrubs let's just dot both and kill them easy " , and this is how it goes :

gates open - > move and place circle -> 2 secs and warrior's on me , I was like fine I won't trinket shockwave I'll trinket gag order then shadowfury and SS dots to the hunter.

what happened was : shockwave ->BM goes red -> I die. it took about 1.5 secs to drop me from 350k hp to 0, I was like this
    didn't really have time to think they would deal that much damage with 55% resi on me tbh.

Anyways,next match went in as demo DA tank and met the same BM / warrior team, they couldn't really get me below 50%.

I think demo might be a tad more viable at this point in the season, since warlocks are mostly tunneled all the time, DA is perfect to counter that, once the enemy team notices the lock is tanking a lot, they swap, and that's where you can go into caster form and start dealing a lot of dmg and build fury, if they don't go back to you , you can use the fury to go into meta and just CC/ nuke something hard, it's pretty decent tbh.

DA is the go to spec if you want to feel "tanky" but you suffer offensively from stance dancing and losing fury. Da glyph has ruined it for the rest of us because that glyphed form got the damage reduction and the absorb all damage shield that the class as a whole was waiting for. I think the twilight ward not absorbing all damage schools "and having a small absorb" is the biggest thing hurting our survivability in arenas right now. Mages having ice barrier and shadow priests having power word:shield "don't even get me started on thier 15% DR" and having those are a game changer against mellee.

Deleted
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I'd rather not start up yet another spec thread.

I have a couple of questions about destro pvp bgs and arena. Currently what is the best way to gem, I've seen people go pure pvp power and others going for orange / purple gems with pvp power to fufill socket bonuses etc but noone going pure intellect any more, is this wrong?

Also can someone give me a brief general breakdown of how to actually play Destro in arenas and Bgs. I'm not sure how to react when the entire 3s team just charges me down 1st and I can't get a cast off and have to blow all my def cd's.

Deleted
    I can see this season being dominated by TSG or BM Hunter teams. I am really struggling to get any pressure out as Affliction, and good teams are making super hard to do big numbers as destro. bleh.

I think some guy came up with a proper formula for the threshold split between int / pvp power, it's on one of the us forums if I'm not mistaken ( can't remember where the link is and cba to look for it ).

basically to summarize, after 9200~ SP pvp power >> int . but due to scaling factors of int with pvp power, I think it was a 75/25 ratio, so any blue / red gem should be socketed with int/pvp power purple colour gem and yellow gems should be socketed with pvp resi/ pvp power green colour gem.

if you're a JC , you use 2x epic int gems in red sockets , the 3rd red socket would be int/pvp power and to counter the loss in pvp power from not having 2x purples where you placed the epic gems , you'd then have to gem 4 blue ( 1 in buckle socket) full pvp power gems instead of int/ pvp power .
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-10-07 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhit21 View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I'd rather not start up yet another spec thread.

I have a couple of questions about destro pvp bgs and arena. Currently what is the best way to gem, I've seen people go pure pvp power and others going for orange / purple gems with pvp power to fufill socket bonuses etc but noone going pure intellect any more, is this wrong?

Also can someone give me a brief general breakdown of how to actually play Destro in arenas and Bgs. I'm not sure how to react when the entire 3s team just charges me down 1st and I can't get a cast off and have to blow all my def cd's.
    Red: Int
    Blue: Int/PvP
    Yellow: Int/Crit

Why int over pvp? Pvp gives slightly more damage as base, but this doesn't take into account DI's +10% spellpower, nor that int gives crit chance.

How to burst as destro:

Build 3 embers at the start. Immolate everything. You need 3 embers.

Make sure elements is up. Open your burst with conflag, and immediately shadowfury. Start chaos bolt, and follow it with a second conflag. Now either fear into a second chaos bolt, or spell lock. Finally, shadowburn. Nothing survives this damage if you get it off unhindered onto an opponent with no cooldowns up.
    Last edited by Tya; 2012-10-07 at 09:26 AM.

Here's a tip, fellas.

Stop PvPing in this game holy shit why do people still try doing it.

PvP is long, long dead and this game completely throws any "balance" out the window. It doesn't exist anymore. It's not there.

It hasn't been for a long time.

So just save yourselves the headache and move on. WoW PvP has been dead for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Here's a tip, fellas.

Stop PvPing in this game holy shit why do people still try doing it.

PvP is long, long dead and this game completely throws any "balance" out the window. It doesn't exist anymore. It's not there.

It hasn't been for a long time.

So just save yourselves the headache and move on. WoW PvP has been dead for years.
    You're just bad at it. Play nice~kushlol
    Last edited by kushlol; 2012-10-07 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing Demo at 2k current team rating in 3v3 and loving it.

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    You're just bad at it. Play nice~kushlol
    Bad at what?

At whatever the hell is left of PvP content in this game? That's like saying I'm bad at squishing poop between my fingers. It's not something you want to be 'bad' or 'good' at, it's something you don't want to be doing at all because it makes you look like a jackass.

Red: Int
    Blue: Int/PvP
    Yellow: Int/Crit

Why int over pvp? Pvp gives slightly more damage as base, but this doesn't take into account DI's +10% spellpower, nor that int gives crit chance.

How to burst as destro:

Build 3 embers at the start. Immolate everything. You need 3 embers.

Make sure elements is up. Open your burst with conflag, and immediately shadowfury. Start chaos bolt, and follow it with a second conflag. Now either fear into a second chaos bolt, or spell lock. Finally, shadowburn. Nothing survives this damage if you get it off unhindered onto an opponent with no cooldowns up.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6471618076

this is the link I was talking about above, dunno what you're on about with that gem setting.

I found the battle.net link from AJ , this is the thread I read, it has a more thorough discussion about gems.
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/22...r/page__st__20

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6471618076

this is the link I was talking about above, dunno what you're on about with that gem setting.

I found the battle.net link from AJ , this is the thread I read, it has a more thorough discussion about gems.
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/22...r/page__st__20
    I guess you quoted the wrong post. I was talking to the guy asking what to gem/how to play.

Though in response to you, power/resilience in yellow is bad advice. Int/crit for destro or int/mastery for affliction.

I guess you quoted the wrong post. I was talking to the guy asking what to gem/how to play.

Though in response to you, power/resilience in yellow is bad advice. Int/crit for destro or int/mastery for affliction.
    no I was quoting you

you are talking about pvp gems, open the links and read please , on what basis do you say int/ crit or mastery is better? provide data and I'll agree, if you just want to say it's best coz you think it is then prove it, at least the links have some solid calculations as to why they should gem that way.

I don't need to provide calculations. You're talking about gemming a defensive stat vs offensive stat. Nobody gems defensive stats as a dps in high-end arena.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 11:24 AM ----------

Alternatively there are pvp power/mastery and pvp power/crit gems.

So many contradictions about affliction pvp I guess i have to try it myself to find out :P
    "PvE is like playing chess against an opponent that makes the same moves everytime"

"PvP is like playing chess"

Yeah lets try to keep this thread arena based if possible please.

Deleted
    I don't need to provide calculations. You're talking about gemming a defensive stat vs offensive stat. Nobody gems defensive stats as a dps in high-end arena.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 11:24 AM ----------

Alternatively there are pvp power/mastery and pvp power/crit gems.
    that's not strictly true, I can think of Shadow Priests and Frost DKs in the last couple of seasons gemming resilience, not to mention if you were usinf 2-piece HC stuff, weapons trinkets etc. have you done many games this year? I've played a little and watched a lot of R1 locks play and like them I'll definitely be gemming some resilience. the power of Chaos Bolt is that it deals a large % of damage in one cast. Shadowplay for example will be controlling and surviving initial burst attempts, getting defensive cooldowns and setting up a burst kill. whether my Chaos Bolt crits for 100k or 102k is not important, what's important is that 'train the Warlock' is going to be THE arena strategy this season, so I'd rather mitigate a % of damage over the course of the fight rather than cast a much smaller % of extra damage when it's time to set up a kill.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidious View Post
    Yeah lets try to keep this thread arena based if possible please.
    good luck, every time this is refreshed and hits the front page it's just asking for someone to come in and complain about the 300k crit they took in a random BG.