Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Cool 10 man - Handling the Energy Charges @ Elegon

Hey Forum!

Yesterday night we reached Elegon and I couldn't seem to bring my add down as affliction, soulswap all dots -> malefic grasp. So tonight I intend to try destruction. But before I our raid started I wanted to ask on here, if anybody had any tips and tricks on how they handle their add(s).

We only had 3 pulls, one of which reached that phase, so I only got to try it once. It is possibly that I was not standing inside the ring (losing the 50% damage buff) and that I arrived late (didn't get the full duration of the walk to deal my damage). In any case, it was harder than I thought it would be, and would greatly appreciate any tips, hints or guidance.

Thanks!

Deleted
    I'm not a warlock, but it's usually a good idea to have a tank help out the weaker burst classes. Did you have problems with the first wave? Because that's a problem seeing how the speed increases with each wave and 4 waves is kind of good to manage for a less stressful last phase.

Deleted
    I did it as Destro, RoF-ing around the boss before the pop (with Mannoroth Fury) then Havoc+ChaosBolt (450k + 450k) for huge damage. Sadly there is a pop every 20 seconds so Havoc is not available for every pop, but a single Chaos Bolt already does a lot of damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teks View Post
    I'm not a warlock, but it's usually a good idea to have a tank help out the weaker burst classes. Did you have problems with the first wave? Because that's a problem seeing how the speed increases with each wave and 4 waves is kind of good to manage for a less stressful last phase.
    Yeah it was the first wave, but as I tried to explain alot of things might have gone wrong. I only got one shot at it, and failed. Badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    I did it as Destro, RoF-ing around the boss before the pop (with Mannoroth Fury) then Havoc+ChaosBolt (450k + 450k) for huge damage. Sadly there is a pop every 20 seconds so Havoc is not available for every pop, but a single Chaos Bolt already does a lot of damage.
    This is what I was intending to try tonight. My Chaos Bolt only deals 150k damage to the dummy though. With raid buffs that'll go up some, and then the 50% buff. But I doubt I'll reach as high as you. It only has 500k hp as far as I know, so 450k would be delicious.

I usually do the following, starting with 4 shards:

The 1st: normal dot application and malefic grasp until it dies
    2nd: SB:SS your dots, malefic grasp until it dies
    3rd: SB:SS your dots, haunt, haunt, mg.

Works for me.
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

10+ Year Old Account
    We went up to 7 charges on the 1st and 5 or 6 on the 2nd transition and I was usually 1st on the Sparks as Affliction (on 25 man though).
    SB:SS>Haunt>MG>MG > run out to reset > refresh dots on boss > DS boss for shards > repeat
    DS and Pot on 4. or 5. Spark spawn, Bloodlust on 5 for the 1st transition and DS on 3. or 4. on the 2nd transition.

Next time, I will try Demo.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 03:23 PM ----------

Affliction is one of the strongest burst classes now.

I played affliction on this yesterday and was able to consistently do 5 or more waves without much problems.

Make sure you drain soul the last add in phase 1 when it explodes to gain 4 soul shards going into phase 2.When the boss then casts Draw Power for 15 seconds, use 1 haunt then either get a soul shard from a proc or Drain Soul for 2 ticks towards the end of the cast if you don't get one.

You always have to stay inside the circle when killing the adds, but make sure to quickly reset your stacks every time the boss casts Draw Power (the adds spawn when he finishes casting it). In between the waves, you should DPS the boss.

First wave: Soulswap dots + MG
    Second wave: Soul swap dots + MG
    Third wave: Soul swap dots + (Haunt if needed) + MG
    Fourth wave: Soul swap dots + Haunt + MG
    Fifth wave: Soul swap dots + Haunt + MG
    Sixth wave: Soul swap dots + Haunt + MG (possibly another Haunt)

The key is to always have at least 2 soul shards for every add after the third so you can Soul swap dots + Haunt. If you find yourself lacking soul shards, drain soul the boss inbetween the waves, but this is an overall DPS loss, so I'd rather just conserve them as much as I can on the first waves so I have enough for wave 5+. If you struggle on the 5th or 6th wave, get the tank on your side to help you out a bit.
    Last edited by damz2969; 2012-10-05 at 01:48 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the replies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    Affliction is one of the strongest burst classes now.
    Oh well, there you go. I'll leave quietly.

Oh well, there you go. I'll leave quietly.
    It seemed relatively RNG dependent on how well I did. Sometimes they were almost hitting the pillar before it died, other times it died half way. Soulburn + Soul Swap on the first two waves with malefic grasp should easily be enough. Throw in a Haunt for waves 3 and 4. If you take a 5th, it might be worth soul swap inhaling your DoTs from off the 4th set to get a higher Agony stack up on the next wave asap. Remember that you can Drain Soul Elegon in between waves if you're desperate for shards.

Also, I haven't tested this yet, but target nearest enemy might be useful in targeting them as soon as they spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post
    It seemed relatively RNG dependent on how well I did. Sometimes they were almost hitting the pillar before it died, other times it died half way.
    I noticed while on my pala that the adds sometimes exploded and died straight off from an attack that wasn't supposed to kill it. Does anyone know if there is like some sort of high crit = kill mechanic on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I noticed while on my pala that the adds sometimes exploded and died straight off from an attack that wasn't supposed to kill it. Does anyone know if there is like some sort of high crit = kill mechanic on these?
    I think its just a case of, they don't have that much HP, so a lot of classes can dish out 50%+ of their health in a single attack.

Deleted
    The information here worked wonders, so thanks alot. What I (we) did was to kill 5 in the first round and 2 in the last.

First round:
    1: SB SS, Haunt, Malefic - Refresh dots and drain soul the boss to replenish soulshards for the next blob.
    2: SB SS, Haunt, Malefic - Refresh dots and drain soul the boss to replenish soulshards for the next blob.
    3: Pop personal cooldowns (Dark Soul, Trinket). SB SS, Haunt, Malefic - Drain soul the boss to replenish soulshards for the next blob.
    4: Cooldowns are still running with a few seconds remaining. SB SS, Haunt, Malefic.
    5: Dragon Roar. SB SS, Haunt, Malefic - Refresh dots and drain soul the boss to replenish soulshards for the next blob.
    6: Ignore this one while getting atleast 2 soulshards for handling the pillarphase, redot the boss and deal as much damage as possible on him.

Second round:
    1: SB SS, Haunt, Malefic - Refresh dots and drain soul the boss to replenish soulshards for the next blob.
    2: SB SS, Haunt, Malefic - Refresh dots.
    3: Nuke the boss, but keep 2 soulshards for handling the pillars.

Mannoroth fury, SB: SoC on boss 2-3s before he finishes to cast draw power, you can prolly do SoC until the end but if your charge needs help u can fel flame,haunt.

Are the big adds and sparks returning embers when killed with Shadowburn?

Deleted
    Big adds : yes
    Small adds that pop after pillars : yes
    Energy charges : no
    Pillars : no
    Last edited by mmoc8b57eca00f; 2012-10-09 at 03:02 PM.

Deleted
    affli with mannoroth fury is quite strong. in our 10man run last week i did over 10 millions dmg (by far the strongest dd). i seeded two times before the adds spawn (one soulburn seed), you can do it every round and thus each add will start with 70-80% hp and corruption up. i saved 3 shards and soulburn swaped or used haunt only for round 5 and 6. if i didnt had enough shards for a haunt one tank was helping, without haunt round 5 and 6 was really close.
    Last edited by mmocd4b9946dea; 2012-10-09 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure you need Mannoroth's Fury for 2 seeds? Cause I was planning to take Kil'Jaeden's

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Are you sure you need Mannoroth's Fury for 2 seeds? Cause I was planning to take Kil'Jaeden's
    You don't, you just need to time it better. I did fine KJ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post
    You don't, you just need to time it better. I did fine KJ.
    Nice! Thank you.