Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rogues and soloing old raids?

So rogue is the only class I havent played and having quit for 8 months figured Id either try out a rogue or monk. Monk seems too involving and I have been playing games for so long I just want to be lazy for once. I dont care about PvP at all was just looking for a decent PvE class that can also solo old raids. By old raids I dont mean the gimp stuff every class can do like MC or AQ. Can rogues do BT, Sunwell. ICC, or any Cata Raids? Or would I be better off with a Pally or Druid? I only have leather heirlooms to level with so I guess I have to play a leather class.

mc can be soloed by anything , rlly its just that easy .
    bwl is like mc tho cant solo 1 boss due to mehanics ...
    I suppose apart mehanics everything in vanilla is that easy .

TBC well here i tryed bt , and sunwell , bt is easy until you reach the well of souls or that face stone statue , there youre doomed perma cc , afaik so far only solution is having a pet .

hyal is easy , suppose kara and ssc are also easy .

Thats my 2 cents looking forward also

Imo, everything up to and including ICC is easy to solo or take a friend. Hard part come when mechanics come into play like the mind control in TK and BWL, or that annoying cube fight in BT.

MC isn't used when it's only 1 person.
    New and shiny compppppp!

Deleted
    I've been soloing older content/raids (and even current) since mid Wrath on a Feral Druid, Hunter, Death Knight and more recently my Rogue main. There isn't much I can't take, from Molten Core to Ahn'qiraj, from Tempest Keep to Black Temple, and even from Naxxramas to Ulduar. Rogues are amazing when it comes to soloing. However...

...the new MoP talents and stat decay from leveling to 90 is making things extremely difficult right now. While before I could kill Onyxia with ease, I now struggle to even survive the first phase. This Onyxia example is still do able but several other things became near impossible. We lost so much and we generate so little resources that I simply gave up. I just don't see the point in trying anymore. Some of the stuff I used to be able to do is now extremely difficult or flat out impossible. The nerf to gold in raids on top of that completely sucked out all the fun out of this.

If you want my advice, roll a Hunter and use that to solo older raids. Hunters are much better for this purpose and on top of that are ranged.

what spec do most rogues use? Also what all do rogues have for self healing these days? Is recup still the only thing? I just want a stealth class because I wanna get in and out and trash always takes the most time when trying to clear to a boss. Even if its easily killable it still wastes time.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    ...the new MoP talents and stat decay from leveling to 90 is making things extremely difficult right now. While before I could kill Onyxia with ease, I now struggle to even survive the first phase. This Onyxia example is still do able but several other things became near impossible. We lost so much and we generate so little resources that I simply gave up. I just don't see the point in trying anymore. Some of the stuff I used to be able to do is now extremely difficult or flat out impossible.

If you want my advice, roll a Hunter and use that to solo older raids. Hunters are much better for this purpose and on top of that are ranged.
    That is illogical. Higher level and vastly superior gear should make the bosses easier not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post

That is illogical. Higher level and vastly superior gear should make the bosses easier not harder.
    No, it makes perfect sense, especially for Rogues. Because our resource Energy is tied to a Haste percentage we're now quite gimped at level 90 until we gain enough gear to increase our Haste(and other stats) to a level we're used to.

In DS most Rogues had a massive amount of Haste, Energy regen was no problem at all. That combined with Legendary procs(which is also related to our stats) made soloing MUCH easier. Sure we may now physically hit harder(though not by much), but we're using abilities much less often due to the lower Energy regen.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that gear ISN'T superior. Stop looking at rating long enough to see what %s you're rocking and it'll be outright obvious. The 2k haste I had at 85 WELL outstrips the 5k I have at 90. Gear will almost never be superior to end-game DS (if the design philosophy remains the same) because we need end-game gear to be equally powerful at each level of end-game. When we're level 90 in equivalent gear to H DS (T16H?), we should be able to roll over any boss we could do at 85 with ease.

I'd have to parrot Bovan's hunter suggestion as well. Having a pet means being able to deal with some mechanics others can't, an easier escape, having a tank as a DPS (and with HUGE health values now compared to 85 -- not facing the same horrifying rating decay as players for defensive stats and healing), and you retain stealth (camo). If you're not into that, DK is a great way to go... see Raegwyn, Mionelol and other WTF-inspiring DK soloists.
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-10-05 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    Well I don't mind to mindlessly repeat what has been said/explained before, but since this was a response to my own post I think I should write a response back personally.

There are several things effecting our resource generation. The first and main obvious thing is haste. More haste equals more energy, which equals more special attacks and combo points. For Combat it equals more Combat Potency procs as well, which is even more energy and combo points. Using a 5 combo point finisher gives us energy back as well, so it's all one vicious cycle of less resources causing less of another which gives us less of the first resource again. Our percentage of haste went down by a huge amount by leveling to 90 simply because you now need more stats for 1% haste as opposed to level 85.

Our crit percentage went down as well due to the same reason. Now crit only effects Assassination's resources now because of Seal Fate, a passive that gives us an extra combo point whenever we crit. On top of that our passive crit chances on some abilities have been removed making it even more severe. Which brings me to my next point...

...our talents have been revamped. We lost some damage reduction, we lost some dodge and we lost some armor. We gained Leeching Poison which is great, but due to our low energy and combo point generation hardly makes a difference. And it certainly doesn't equal everything we lost.

Feel free to correct me but I think we only really gained two positive things in terms of soloing older raids. First of all, at level 90 our health pools are huge and Recuperate ticks for a high amount. We are now also able to solo just as well as Assassination as the other specs, and that gives us monstrous AoE damage which was a bit of a problem at 85.

A cookie for the person who can point our exactly how many times I misspelled 'resource'.

Well I don't mind to mindlessly repeat what has been said/explained before, but since this was a response to my own post I think I should write a response back personally.

There are several things effecting our resource generation. The first and main obvious thing is haste. More haste equals more energy, which equals more special attacks and combo points. For Combat it equals more Combat Potency procs as well, which is even more energy and combo points. Using a 5 combo point finisher gives us energy back as well, so it's all one vicious cycle of less resources causing less of another which gives us less of the first resource again. Our percentage of haste went down by a huge amount by leveling to 90 simply because you now need more stats for 1% haste as opposed to level 85.

Our crit percentage went down as well due to the same reason. Now crit only effects Assassination's resources now because of Seal Fate, a passive that gives us an extra combo point whenever we crit. On top of that our passive crit chances on some abilities have been removed making it even more severe. Which brings me to my next point...

...our talents have been revamped. We lost some damage reduction, we lost some dodge and we lost some armor. We gained Leeching Poison which is great, but due to our low energy and combo point generation hardly makes a difference. And it certainly doesn't equal everything we lost.

Feel free to correct me but I think we only really gained two positive things in terms of soloing older raids. First of all, at level 90 our health pools are huge and Recuperate ticks for a high amount. We are now also able to solo just as well as Assassination as the other specs, and that gives us monstrous AoE damage which was a bit of a problem at 85.

A cookie for the person who can point our exactly how many times I misspelled 'resource'.
    I assume getting back to raid level gear will obviously correct this?

Deleted
    I assume getting back to raid level gear will obviously correct this?
    Not until the final (16?) tier in full BiS gear. And we still lost all those survivability talents.
    Only time will tell but yes, I think by the end of the expansion we'll be back on track. But I still think a Hunter can do the same if not more than a Rogue in almost every scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    MC isn't used when it's only 1 person.
    the cube of souls in BT ? oh trust me he does , and its perma cc , he recasts it before its over , perma cc without any chance of getting out , apart bugging it with a pet and using some spell inv etc etc . Anyway he does cc .

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been soloing older content/raids (and even current) since mid Wrath on a Feral Druid, Hunter, Death Knight and more recently my Rogue main. There isn't much I can't take, from Molten Core to Ahn'qiraj, from Tempest Keep to Black Temple, and even from Naxxramas to Ulduar. Rogues are amazing when it comes to soloing. However...

...the new MoP talents and stat decay from leveling to 90 is making things extremely difficult right now. While before I could kill Onyxia with ease, I now struggle to even survive the first phase. This Onyxia example is still do able but several other things became near impossible. We lost so much and we generate so little resources that I simply gave up. I just don't see the point in trying anymore. Some of the stuff I used to be able to do is now extremely difficult or flat out impossible. The nerf to gold in raids on top of that completely sucked out all the fun out of this.

How do you struggle to survive on Onyxia? I did it this weekend, she couldn't get me down below 85% health.
    It's a walk in the park now.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a rogue for 5 years, I'm gonna go ahead and say do NOT play a rogue for old content, even though that's what I mostly do. I just tried soloing Marrowgar the other night on my rogue at level 90 and couldn't take him past 5mil. Rogues are too squishy. Of course, probably everything from early Wrath and lower is solable by anything now. Still, the best solo class is DK, because.... DK's are just... amazing.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fir_ost View Post
    the cube of souls in BT ? oh trust me he does , and its perma cc , he recasts it before its over , perma cc without any chance of getting out , apart bugging it with a pet and using some spell inv etc etc . Anyway he does cc .
    He was referring to Kael'Thas in TK.
    I think Reliquary of Souls in BT is pretty much impossible to solo, unless you can burst it down before getting soul shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeam View Post
    He was referring to Kael'Thas in TK.
    I think Reliquary of Souls in BT is pretty much impossible to solo, unless you can burst it down before getting soul shocked.
    well there is a way with pet .
    keep pet on hold there inside.
    Run at the entrance to his chamber , were he resets .
    This way he travels to you , resets goes back pet make it go back in combat , he comes for you reset and so on . He still perma cc you when he gets to you . So youre only hope is nuke him while invulnerable to his spells : like dk magic shield green spell , or such .

Similar to this priest can make it with a pet . Without one so far its idd impossible so far :/ .

Deleted
    Can ulduar be done solo?

Quote Originally Posted by nairobi13 View Post
    Can ulduar be done solo?
    10 man afaik , maybe im mistaken , there arent any mechanics that prevent that , tho 1 boss should be tricky . for the rest i guess with enough gear etc .
    I wouldnt bet on it :/ 2 mannable is still best choice for that one i think . Hope to be wrong would like to do it aswell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fir_ost View Post
    10 man afaik , maybe im mistaken , there arent any mechanics that prevent that , tho 1 boss should be tricky . for the rest i guess with enough gear etc .
    I wouldnt bet on it :/ 2 mannable is still best choice for that one i think . Hope to be wrong would like to do it aswell
    on 85 I only managed to beat Leviathan10m+25m and XT10m.
    Guess Leviathan will be no problem now with our itemlevels, but XT could be hard :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    on 85 I only managed to beat Leviathan10m+25m and XT10m.
    Guess Leviathan will be no problem now with our itemlevels, but XT could be hard :/
    you plan on trying it again : P? soloing ulduar as lvl 90 would be a great news for me